Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Robbie's New Revo's

JohnRodriguez

Am I the first to notice Rob's Post count? To me that may be a sign.... :D

Group: Classified

Member No.: 2016

For those not "in the know" if you ever read "Hitchhikers Guilde to the Galaxy" (or now saw the movie) you'll understand the joke :D Of course as soon as he posts somthing different it'll be different.. but I do have it here for posterity ;)

Vince

Edited by sargenv

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, MAYBE the reason W-W does NOT have any ammo on the "Power Factor NOT a Factor" ICORE list is that they mostly sell their 130-gr. FMJ .38 Special load thru the "Big-Box Megalo-Marts", and NOT the 150-gr. lead RN load...hhmmm....mikey357

For those not "in the know" if you ever read "Hitchhikers Guilde to the Galaxy" (or now saw the movie) you'll understand the joke :D Of course as soon as he posts somthing different it'll be different.. but I do have it here for posterity ;)

Vince

42 :lol:

Where's my towel?

Rob,

Any chance you'll compete in USPSA Revolver Division this year?

Maybe if you and JM got together and worked on S&W they'd bring out a Blue Steel 25 again. One suitable for competition, maybe even with most of the "Few" bells and whistles available.

Dave

Vince

Still don't know the question, but at least the answer is clear.....

Rob,

Any chance you'll compete in USPSA Revolver Division this year?

Maybe if you and JM got together and worked on S&W they'd bring out a Blue Steel 25 again. One suitable for competition, maybe even with most of the "Few" bells and whistles available.

Dave

Hey Dave,

Good question. It would be interesting to see Jerry Miculek and Rob Leatham shooting together...

Let's wait the Rob's answer.

Wow. How frickin' easy was that? 10 minutes of buzzing around downstairs with the dremel tool last night and now my .38 Super 627-4 handles Wally-World 9mm ammo beautifully!! I have no idea of the accuracy, but I shot a dozen moonclips full of WWB 115-gr. into the semi-dark and confirmed that functioning, timing, ignition, and ejection are all perfectly fine. As long as I avoid the S&W "split-style" moonclips, they drop right in like the gun was made for 'em!

I ran out today and procured some WWB and AE 147-gr. stuff, and some 124-gr. WWB. If I ever manage to see some daylight other than through my office window, I'll report back on the accuracy.

Guess it took Leatham, the one shooter in the world who's not secretly afraid of us wheelgunning heavyweights, to clue us in on this little trick! :)

Pictures. I need pictures. I have a 686x6 .38 super and a Dremel. ;)

Wow. How frickin' easy was that? 10 minutes of buzzing around downstairs with the dremel tool last night and now my .38 Super 627-4 handles Wally-World 9mm ammo beautifully!! I have no idea of the accuracy, but I shot a dozen moonclips full of WWB 115-gr. into the semi-dark and confirmed that functioning, timing, ignition, and ejection are all perfectly fine. As long as I avoid the S&W "split-style" moonclips, they drop right in like the gun was made for 'em!

I ran out today and procured some WWB and AE 147-gr. stuff, and some 124-gr. WWB. If I ever manage to see some daylight other than through my office window, I'll report back on the accuracy.

Guess it took Leatham, the one shooter in the world who's not secretly afraid of us wheelgunning heavyweights, to clue us in on this little trick! :)

Boy, am I glad that I sold my super :wacko: and sent my 627 off to be converted to 38 short colt only.... :rolleyes: when all I had to do was get the Dremel out, which is an idea I had about a year ago..... :huh: but was too much of a wuss to try. Oh well, it is only money.... :D and now Sam has a kool gun that has been to the Rotary Gunsmithing Institute!

Edited by DougC

Yeah but Carmoney now you are going to have to buy Hearthco moons.

I'm sure Dave will give you a break if you buy 100 or more.

No, I have my one prized Hearthco moonclip in its little velvet-lined box, and that's going to have to be enough for right now. I go over to the bank and take it out of the safe deposit box every now and then to marvel at its perfection and dream of the day when I can afford to buy another one to go with it. Someday my ship will come in.

(Plus, the Brownells moonclips work just fine with the 9mm stuff, post-Dremel.)

Boy, am I glad that I sold my super :wacko: and sent my 627 off to be converted to 38 short colt only.... :rolleyes: when all I had to do was get the Dremel out, which is an idea I had about a year ago..... :huh: but was too much of a wuss to try. Oh well, it is only money.... :D and now Sam has a kool gun that has been to the Rotary Gunsmithing Institute!

Ah Doug ??? you can shoot the short colts in the super too :mellow:

(ya they bulge a little but we're talking poofy loads here arn't we?)

Yeah but Carmoney now you are going to have to buy Hearthco moons.

I'm sure Dave will give you a break if you buy 100 or more.

No, I have my one prized Hearthco moonclip in its little velvet-lined box, and that's going to have to be enough for right now. I go over to the bank and take it out of the safe deposit box every now and then to marvel at its perfection and dream of the day when I can afford to buy another one to go with it. Someday my ship will come in.

(Plus, the Brownells moonclips work just fine with the 9mm stuff, post-Dremel.)

There he goes with that dremel talk again. Carmoney probably did everything with stone knives and bearskins before he got that dremel tool. B)

Here's to wishing everyone good luck and most of all a good time at the IRC. I personally hope to see more bottomfeeder gun shooters endulging in the wheelguns. For Mr.Leatham, TGO...has shooting the revo lately brought back memories of "the old days"? I hope so :) Also, thank you for being a constant source of inspiration to a lowly newbie!

Hey Rob,

It may take you a bit of time to get used to your new gun when you get it back. I've learned a few new things since I worked on Vic's.

Now I wish I had a 627 Super...

Really? I just happen to know where are few are...

Buy now and I'll even throw in a Dremel Tool Kit. ;)

Hi Guys,

Question from me is, what advantages are there to 9mm over .38 Super. I Have tried both, have several .38 spl, and .38 Super revolvers, have tried 9mm, .38 colt, .38 S&W, and all cut down versions of .38spl, and at the end of it all could not beat the .38 super for quick and consistent reloading. I know that the 625 is by far the quickest of all revolvers to reload, but alas we are not allowed to keep them anymore, which limits us to anything .38 and under. Sooooo if you reload your own ammo, where is the advantage?

Mark :wacko:

Well, the search for knowledge continues. I had a bunch of keyholes and tumblers at the match today, and am not sure what the deal is? I suspect I need to procure more of the flatpoint 147 9mm ammo that I am out of. I shot two different loads today and both had problems tipping.

When I returned home, I checked something Frank Glenn had done on the 686's I used to shoot at Bianchi. The ammo I last shot there was 110 grain hornady XTP's loaded with ww 473 in 38 special brass. I remember having some problems with accuracy with these loads after he shortened the cylinders. He then cut the forcing cones in these guns verry, verry long, and they then shot verywell. I checked the length of the 627-4 forcing cones and they are very short. If you place a bullet into the opening it goes in until about half the bearing surface is covered and the base is about a guarter of an inch above the opening. On the old Glenn guns the same bullet drops in with the base of the bullet about a quarter of an inch below the opening. This is a huge difference and I had forgotten all about this modification. It has been many years since I have shot a revo in competition. I will now make this same mod to a 627-4 and see what happens. I am hoping it will solve this problem and maybe I can even get usable accuracy out of the 115 fmj ammo that is so cheap and plentifull.

On a positive note I did have fun at the match, and Vic was nice enough to screw up a reload and drop a couple extra points to let me get by him. I can now happily retire and never shoot a revo again. Vic, you can have all my stuff, and even take custody of OUR gun for a while. Well maybe not just quite yet, after June sounds good!!

Not all is going bad though, the 627 with 8 3/8's in. barrel is awesome. It is not nearly as heavy and cumbersome as you might think and boy can I shoot it more accurately than the 5 in. guns. That sight radius is great for slow and precise work. It kinda looks like a sword though, so Vic and I have taken to calling it the light saber. I am not sure that will stick but it is a start.

Had a chance to practice the standards for the IRC and had mixed results. The 38 special is not nearly as easy to load as the 9 but it shoots soooo gooood.....! A little more practice and I may actually be ready for the IRC.

All I need is my 627-4 back from Randy and get it grouping how I like and I am ready to go. Now I need to talk him into fixing up the light saber. I think the 9 is the way for me to go for most everything in minor caliber, but might want that ultra trigger on my .38 special as well!!! You know, just in case. BTW, the factory ammo makes the power factor out of the long gun, without lubing it up! So I got that going for me. Gunga la gunga.....

Till next time

Rob

Aha R112Mercer san, but there were two! "gunga la gunga"......(actually in the movie it is...."Gunga.....Gunga la Gunga" but close enough for me! :D Crap now I gotta go watch it today.......Hmmmmm classic movie, run 1050..........ARGH the decisions.... B)