Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Robbie's New Revo's

JohnRodriguez

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is the accuracy with 9MM in a 38 Super gun?? I had a 686 in 38 super for a few weeks and it did not work well at all. In fact nothing did. After the 3rd trip back to S&W they offered me a new gun. They could not get it to group under 4 inches at 25 yds. I ended up with a the PC 1911 after kicking in some extra cash. Chris

Hdgun,

What brass?? Dave

10MMDave nailed it, Win white box.

I also tied some Fed and R-P. they all Sucked!!

I figured why try to reinvent the wheel, just stick with the super.

I believe the clips I have are Hearthco

Edited by hdgun

Lets see if we can talk him into shooting the SW Regionals. It'll give us an idea of what were up against !!!

Or, what "he's" up against !! :DB)

Let's see him shoot some major USPSA matches with the wheelgun in '06!

Just the fact he is doing this will increase participation. It is a great thing

I also tied some Fed and R-P. they all Sucked!!

John ?? did you quit smoking again :lol::lol:

That ride to S&W may have you in the back of the truck !

And everybody ain't that revo avatar of hdgun's just purdest thing you ever saw :wub:

Hey John !?!?!? I just out figured what we could trade for the 6 inch Tribrid :D:P:lol:

I was speeking with 10mmDave on the phone. He thought I said the Hearthco clips sucked.

I must Clarify, It was the S&W clips I was refering to.

Trying to quit, not being to sucsesfull though.

What do you have in mind Dave?

You ain't getting my IRC gun!!!!!

I was speeking with 10mmDave on the phone. He thought I said the Hearthco clips sucked.

NO NO NO NO !!! don't you ever listen to me :wacko::wacko::wacko:

I didn't think you said the Hearthco's sucked, what I don't think you've gotten across in

your posts is that not only did the S&W clips "suck", but that you did not get any good

accuracy out of your 38 super revo using 9mm ammo.

Isn't THAT what we talked about ???

(and I'm the drinker in this 2 sided conversation :blink: )

So to sum up John, IYO, not only do the S&W's clips suck, but accuracy using 9mm ammo

in your 38 super revo sucked also ??

Well good luck trying to quit smoking, it ain't easy as you know, I still reach for my cig's

even after a year !!

I think I should maybe start a new topic for 9mm accuracy in 38 super revo's,

whadda think ??

Dave, based on my experience with 38 short colt I would recommend using a 147gr .355 or a 150 JRN .356 bullet for accuracy. At least that gives you a bullet to start with. Any other bullet just doesnt have enough bearing surface to stabilize enough after having that much jump... or so I theorize...(wow, havent used that word since college :blink: ) If I can get the short colts to shoot at 25yds then you ought to get the 9x19 to work, but I dont know if it will be the WWB unless they make an economy 147 load....If I can borrow back my old SuperREvo I will try to work up a couple of 9x19 loads for the super.

NO NO NO NO !!! don't you ever listen to me :wacko::wacko::wacko:

I didn't think you said the Hearthco's sucked, what I don't think you've gotten across in

your posts is that not only did the S&W clips "suck", but that you did not get any good

accuracy out of your 38 super revo using 9mm ammo.

Isn't THAT what we talked about ???

(and I'm the drinker in this 2 sided conversation :blink: )

So to sum up John, IYO, not only do the S&W's clips suck, but accuracy using 9mm ammo

in your 38 super revo sucked also ??

Well good luck trying to quit smoking, it ain't easy as you know, I still reach for my cig's

even after a year !!

I think I should maybe start a new topic for 9mm accuracy in 38 super revo's,

whadda think ??

You guys are kinda sounding like angry women ;)

I know you didnt say my clips sucked.

Ive learned to grin since the early days when most of the revo shooters wouldnt touch my clips with a 10 foot pole.

"Just who does that IPSC trash think he is trying to sell moonclips?" B)

Me... I have 32 for my 686 and wouln't use anything else.

They really don't like the other ones from the sound of things.

I have a question for you on a small rumor I was told the other day but I will PM you and not start it in the open.

Edited by AZ38super

Ive learned to grin since the early days when most of the revo shooters wouldnt touch my clips with a 10 foot pole.

You should hear us when we start drinking :P

(and see john, at least dave didn't think you said his clips sucked)

Okay....off to the 9mm in a super revo question.........

You should hear us when we start drinking :P

(and see john, at least dave didn't think you said his clips sucked)

Okay....off to the 9mm in a super revo question.........

I believe Rob is using the 147 gr. WWB's. They make PF and according to him, he was printing 5" at 50 offhand(He said he was lazy).

I'm pretty sure he could beat me with a straw and spitwads at fifty yards... :unsure:

Dave, based on my experience with 38 short colt I would recommend using a 147gr .355 or a 150 JRN .356 bullet for accuracy. At least that gives you a bullet to start with. Any other bullet just doesnt have enough bearing surface to stabilize enough after having that much jump... or so I theorize...(wow, havent used that word since college :blink: ) If I can get the short colts to shoot at 25yds then you ought to get the 9x19 to work, but I dont know if it will be the WWB unless they make an economy 147 load....If I can borrow back my old SuperREvo I will try to work up a couple of 9x19 loads for the super.

I have to agree with you Doug, I tried some super length rnds in my 627 38/357 guns

and was not impressed. When using the light, shorter bullets the accuracy was about twice

as big as the same bullet going the same fps out of 38 spcl brass.

I never did try 357 mag brass, don't think I will since loads in 38 spcl brass already give

some wild fps readings.

That's why I want to hear all about your new 38 Short Colt revo, for myself I just hate

the first round "pop" and the 7 "bang's I get when shooting light loads in a 38 spcl case.

Last year practicing for the SC I even did the dreaded "squib" 1st shot with some really

light loads, (88 pf with a 95 grn bullet :D )

As far as re-loading the 9mm, I'd stick with 38 super for the super revo, it just would be

nice if the 9's worked okay so if needed one could shoot store bought ammo out of the

supers.

I know John tried it, and sounds like Robbie is doing it so I'll just have to borrow a couple

Hearthco 38 super clips from John or Paul and try 9's in my super myself.

I believe Rob is using the 147 gr. WWB's. They make PF and according to him, he was printing 5" at 50 offhand(He said he was lazy).

I'm pretty sure he could beat me with a straw and spitwads at fifty yards... :unsure:

Now see, I didn't even know Winchester sold a 147 9mm white box.....

okay...5 inch groups...using 147 9mm's...out of a 38 super revo....standing at 50 yrds...

Oh ya....with iron sights :blink:

Was that within the ICORE "standards" time limit :lol:

9 seconds at 50 yards but you get to go prone.

Rob is also working with a .38 special. I'm pretty sure he will use the gun that shoots the best groups by the time he gets to the IRC.

Those 147s have a flat point to them. I can't believe he reloads them as fast as he does.

Dave prepare yourself and order a new star so you will have one to modify and one to go back to in case you go too far. Shouldn't be a real problem from what I saw.

We should rename this thread. THE ROBBIE WATCH !

9 seconds at 50 yards but you get to go prone.

Rob is also working with a .38 special. I'm pretty sure he will use the gun that shoots the best groups by the time he gets to the IRC.

Those 147s have a flat point to them. I can't believe he reloads them as fast as he does.

Dave prepare yourself and order a new star so you will have one to modify and one to go back to in case you go too far. Shouldn't be a real problem from what I saw.

Ya know ??? I don't see why I have to modify the star, can anybody tell me why ??

I re-tried the 9mm's and figured out why they won't go in, tolerance stack up, tight moon

clip, etc.

According to the case specs I have a 9mm's rim is smaller than a std 38 super's !?!

so maybe there's another reason he modified the star :huh:

Well, Whut time is it? There will be a few people in Limited to watch this year. In no particular order, Jason, Robbie, Angus (if he is shootin), D. Carden, John Bagakis, and three or four people that I don't know. It will not be a cake walk for any of them and should be quite tight at the top.

Yep, I agree it looks like a close race in Limited, with no runaway favorites. I was really hoping to attend the IRC this year, but I'm still primarily a USPSA competitor at heart, and Area 3 (my home area match) is just down the road in Kansas City the same weekend. A3 was an excellent match last year, and the same capable staff is running the show again. I'll be very interested to hear how things go at the IRC, particularly in Limited!

Yep, I agree it looks like a close race in Limited, with no runaway favorites. I was really hoping to attend the IRC this year, but I'm still primarily a USPSA competitor at heart, and Area 3 (my home area match) is just down the road in Kansas City the same weekend. A3 was an excellent match last year, and the same capable staff is running the show again. I'll be very interested to hear how things go at the IRC, particularly in Limited!

Common Mike,

The real horse race is at the IRC. Limited will be the best match ever. Jason and John and DanF and Dan C aint gonna go down easy.

It does sound like it will be the best Limited match ever--I would dearly love to be there! But my credit cards are still warm in my wallet from being overused during the 2005 shooting season. Unfortunately, that means I won't make several great matches, including the Florida Open (which I shot last year), the Steel Challenge (which I shot in '04), and the IRC (which I have never shot, but hope to someday!) On the bright side, I'm very fortunate to have a whole bunch of great USPSA major matches available within a half-day's drive of my house this year, including two area matches and the USPSA Revolver Nationals.

Hi everybody,

Just want to let you know what I am doing and why.

The whole 9mm thing is due to my desire to shoot factory Winchester ammunition. The Super ammo they load is way to hot for the IRC so I just kinda tried the 9's in Vic's gun one day and surprise, surprise, surprise, they fit! The clips are indeed Hearthco's and do belong to Vic Picket. I would have not been able to get as far along in this time frame without his help. He has hooked me up with all the right people for the equipment and services I need, and I have known the Smith and Wesson PC guys for about 100 years so that part came together well. Jimmy Rae and Paul Pluff (is that spelling correct) have been great help and now I am just waiting for all the peices to come together.

Now some details. In the 3 supers I hve been using, the 147 grain White Box (purchased at the sportsman's Warehouse in Mesa) shoots the best. It is marked as 147 TCMC or something like that. The next best load was 115 JHP white box marked as personal defense, but that kicks more than the 147. Soooo... that is where I am on that.

The chambers on all 3 of the supers are big enough to accept the 9mm factory rounds. The Stars on the other hand are smaller than the cylinder opening and must be opened up to match. That is the whole 9mm conversion!!

The Clips I am using are Vic's Hearthco .035's and have worked perfectly from the start with no modification.

You will have odd brass after you shoot the 9mm in your super. You now will have a rimless 19mm length super case without the taper of the factory 9. I have not tried to reload this but think somebody ought to try it using 38 super dies and a 9mm shelplate. I think this would be rather simple.

My super is now at Apex Tactical waiting for Randy Lee to do his magic. I patiently wait!!!

The next project is the 38 Special. It began as a standard PC 627 8 times. It now has an 8 3/8 in. M-27 barrel installed to try the long sight radius. No other work has yet been done on this gun but I shot a rested 8 shot group at fifty yards today with winchester 150 grain white box ammunition that measured 1 and 7/8 ths in. This is somewhat better than the 9mm, but not by much. Probably not enough to matter.

I had originally had a problem with the special because this ammo does not make the 120 power factor needed for the IRC in the 5 in 627. But guess what, it does in the long barrel! I am still a little confused as to why not all manufactures have a load on the ICORE excluded list (last time I looked it was just Remington, Federal and Speer I think). Winchester sells enough 38 special through WalMart and other retailers that I would think this load should also be on the list as it makes the same factor as the Federal, which is around 111-113 pf.

If by the way you want the lighteset kicking setup you can get, forego the chronograph and use a 38 special with these loads, since they do not make the factor but are still permitted in the IRC.

This has been a lot of fun and what really hooked me was how well I could shoot Vic's super with Randy's trigger work. It was not that hard to adapt to that trigger pull!! It is amazing, and I am truly going to miss that gun, but Vic assures me it was not a lucky try and we all have faith that mine will be just as good, although I am still in posession of the gun in question and you know about that 9 tenths of the law thing!!

My motivation for all this is because I love revolvers and have wanted to shoot the IRC for years, but my schedule has never allowed it. Until now. I look forward to giving it a try and will do the best I can. I will show up prepared with the best equipment possible soo.... we will see what happens from here. I just want to beat Vic one time at the tuesday night steel match at Rio!!

Vic, Love ya Man!!

Rob