Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Jerry Miculek Model 327 WR

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit!

5" 327, trigger job + bob, whichever dot you have lying around. Under 2K.

That gun ain't gonna maky any of us shoot like JM!

Except maybe MWP...

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Dr. Phil said:

5" 327, trigger job + bob

Already has a bobbed hammer. “Shouldn’t” need a trigger job, coming from the PC, but we know better 😉

2 hours ago, 21 shooter said:

They have a nicely packaged product but the price is out of my league.  I do think initial production run will sell fast.  

It’s a limited production gun. 1880 units only. 

The pictures show a (Magna?)ported gun, but I couldn’t find it in the specs/details anywhere. 

Edited by IowaNewbie

I’d buy one if I had the money, but I don’t. So I won’t. Will be curious in a couple years when they start coming up used.

Was wondering when they would market this revolver.

I imagine most of them will be bought by collectors.  

No real interest in this one.  If there is any time or points to be made by its cost, they are minimal and can be attained with a bit more focus during training.

I do think a SS barrel is a lot better than the shrouded barrel on the TRR-8 though.  The TRR-8 is too light in my view and a solid barrel would help it immensely for competitive events.

GG

That's a pretty gun for sure, but not 3.5k I think I'll spend my money on some $80 per thousand primers. 

But id be interested in a used one for $2k 🤣

I bet they sell every one of them, quickly. 

I also bet us “users” won’t see many of them being used. 

Scandium hasn’t done well historically in our games. Hence the exact reason carbon barreled 929s are popular. 

35 is what a custom barrel, full internals replaced, red dot installed, gun zeroed, 100% complete and finished icore/ SC gun would costs. Like a gun I would directly take to IRC/WRC/WSSC.

While it’s high from the factory, I think history has shown us they will sell and go up over time for collectors. I don’t have a collection of “collectors” guns the way we think of them, I do have a little collection of guns that are historically relevant to revolver shooting sports. I’ll add one of these to that collection.   

I do hope JM is getting a fat cut of this msrp. Bravo to him for his record, and all the ones before, and what he’s done for his sport. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, IowaNewbie said:

3 hours ago, IowaNewbie said:

Already has a bobbed hammer. “Shouldn’t” need a trigger job, coming from the PC, but we know better 😉

The pictures show a (Magna?)ported gun, but I couldn’t find it in the specs/details anywhere. 

I should have been a little more precise.  They will sell fast and mostly to collectors as it is a nice package deal based on a Legend.  If demand is high enough I think they will offer one without the extras or red dot.  A  “plain Jane” version.  It will depend on the consensus of the marketing dept and the bean counters.  

Edited by 21 shooter

13 hours ago, IowaNewbie said:

My post was comparing $3500 to buying and building the same. Hence "trigger and bob" which we mostly all do to stock guns. I have wondered also what the pull weight will be on this? Probably the stock S&W 10lbs so it will shoot everything?

JM prefers manna-ported guns. He has his race guns ported so it probably is.

What are an original 627 38 Supers going for these days?  2.5K?  Original 3" Lew Horton 610s are getting $3K.  Collectors are wacky.

When new models first come out a few sell. Then when the excitement drops off and places have them in stock and need to sell the price will come down. Examples are a Ruger Super GP 100 picked up for $950. 
S&W 610 6 1/2” first run $400 and 5” $250. 
I never did by a 929 but they took a dip after they first came out and sales were not great. 

Just saying and it might not happen, but like I have said before with a revolver that is in .357 you can shoot .357, 38 special, 38 long colt and 38 short colt(hunting to target)and with a 9mm you can shoot 9mm. 

🇺🇸🦅

On the one hand I'm glad to see S&W promoting a new revolver, on the other this is a very niche gun (in my opinion) unless you want it for the collectible value.  It fits as an ICORE open gun, but really has no place in USPSA or IDPA.  I personally would not pick a scandium frame for a match gun, especially at that price.  I understand why it's Jerry's preference as he has the support of the factory to repair/replace any parts or guns.

I hope they release a similar, but more budget, model in the future-steel frame, no ports, just cut for moon clips and no red dot.  If they could get that down to the price of a 929 or 627 I'd be much more interested.

14 hours ago, revoman said:

Just saying and it might not happen, but like I have said before with a revolver that is in .357 you can shoot .357, 38 special, 38 long colt and 38 short colt(hunting to target)and with a 9mm you can shoot 9mm. 

🇺🇸🦅

True. But. Which is better for a particular owner?

.357 has the versatility, no doubt. For purely Practical sports use, 9mm ammunition is probably even more available and cost can be pretty low. For reloading, 9mm brass is plentiful. You'll never run out. For Minor PF, you don't use much powder either.

3 hours ago, perttime said:

True. But. Which is better for a particular owner?

.357 has the versatility, no doubt. For purely Practical sports use, 9mm ammunition is probably even more available and cost can be pretty low. For reloading, 9mm brass is plentiful. You'll never run out. For Minor PF, you don't use much powder either.

9mm 929 revolvers tend to have issues with bullets walking out of some ammo (both factory and reloads) and if you wish to roll size the tapered 9mm cases you can’t size the full length. 
Obviously 9mm can be made to work but I don’t consider brass availability to matter with a wheel gun (I pick up my moon clips and almost never lose any brass) and if I had to do things over I would have stayed with the straight walled case. 

Or you can have TK bore the 38 to 9mm, like many have, and shoot all of the 38s plus 0mm. 

929 owners who reload figured out that "walking" problem several years ago. Many (most?) do not have problems now. Shoot the right brass in the right moons and you are good to go.

I had a 327-scandium gun. Too light for me.

I wouldn't spend the money for a safe queen / investment gun but more power to them that do.