Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

leave on case lube after reloading, or get if off somehow

davsco

One-Shot Case Lube - leave it on reloaded ammo on or get it off somehow?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. so you sprayed your brass and loaded it. do you remove the one shot and if so, how? 2011 guns if it matters.

• Leave it on
    • Wipe it off (perhaps with a towel or rag when putting rounds into chamber checker)
    • Tumble it off (but don't want media clogging hollow points). Don't want any detonations either!
    • Some other method to remove the lube after loading

I throw a couple handfuls of brass in the bin,, give it maybe half a spritz of Dillon case lube, which is basically lanalon and alcohol,, stir it around and load... Makes things load easier, but doesnt seem to leave much if any residue... I havent tumbled loaded rounds since my waxlubed hardcast bullet days,,, Never felt the need.

• 1 month later...

I voted leave it on. 

Unless you are spraying that stuff with wild abandon, I can't see a reason to worry about removing it.

I use carbide dies and always use One Shot spray case lube as it makes everything smoooooth.   

I'll spray it into an empty two gallon Ziploc freezer bag, then immediately poor the clean brass batch in.

Shake bag vigorously.  Set open bag down on bench for a few minutes with another shake or two, after a few minutes poor the bag into the feeder hopper.  Shake & bake (load).  

On 11/28/2023 at 9:19 PM, outerlimits said:

pro tip-brass juice...

Oddly they don’t claim anything about lubricity but I haven’t used lube in years and friends i process for say the same thing.  Maybe because they sell a minty lube and don’t want to cut into sales?  I loves my brass juice.

They only ones I tumble to remove lube after sizing is .223 and .308. My AR's can be a little finicky sometimes and I don't want any dirt sticking to those rounds. Pistol, no problem!

That old RCBS, Lyman lube that you rolled on a lube pad was absolutely horrible. If you didn’t take it off it was like someone rolled all your rounds in STP or honey. Was so happy when affordable carbide dies came out for pistol, and Imperial Sizing wax for rifle cases. 

Edited by Farmer

I tumbled about 300 9mm rounds after loading and it seems about 1 out of five the primer goes off and I get a squib. Yes they have powder in them. I've never tumbled after loading since. Just bad luck? or has this happened to anyone else.

5 hours ago, ohsevenflhx said:

I tumbled about 300 9mm rounds after loading and it seems about 1 out of five the primer goes off and I get a squib. Yes they have powder in them. I've never tumbled after loading since. Just bad luck? or has this happened to anyone else.

That was just a fluke of some kind. I tumble my reloads and have for years

6 hours ago, ohsevenflhx said:

Contaminated primers?

14 hours ago, ohsevenflhx said:

I doubt it was the tumbling. Several year ago one of the gun magazines did an article on tumbling reloaded ammo. They pulled some rounds apart and couldn't see any difference in the powder from the non-tumbled rounds. They also chrono'ed tumbled and untumbled rounds and there was really no difference in velocities either.

Lots of people will argue this one way or the other, but I've never seen a case when dry-tumbling pistol ammo for any reasonable length of time did anything significant to it and examples are nearly-non-existent with rifle ammo too.  

Might be different if you wet-tumble. :)

Wet tumbling for a few hours is fine as well, every now and than a round finds itself between my spent cases and get wet tumbled for 2 hours.  So far they all worked just fine. 

(Pistol ammo only)

13 hours ago, 392heminut said:

I doubt it was the tumbling. Several year ago one of the gun magazines did an article on tumbling reloaded ammo. They pulled some rounds apart and couldn't see any difference in the powder from the non-tumbled rounds. They also chrono'ed tumbled and untumbled rounds and there was really no difference in velocities either.

I think most of it started with the manufacturers putting “DO NOT TUMBLE LIVE AMMO” in their owners manuals. I remember reading that in the one for my vibratory cleaner. 

I wet tumble decapped brass, dry, and use dry Teflon lube for sizing/loading.  I spray a coating of Blaster dry Teflon lube (Home Depot) in the bottom of a plastic shoe box and let the carrier dry.  Toss in a couple hundred cases and shake for 10  seconds or so.  Cases take on a dusting and everything runs smooth.  If any small amount gets into cases it has no ill effect I can tell after many thousands of rounds.  I toss a completed 100 rnds at a time on a old shirt or towel, fold it over and rub off anything remaining for a few seconds.  No mess and ammo runs smooth as silk.