Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No match talk?

rowdyb

Why is there virtually zero talk about member's major match experience on the forum?

Matches are happening but I see zero discussion about good or bad stages, overall vibe, surprise outcomes, match flow, cool trophies and so on.

That's a good question. I talk about matches a lot with friends via group chats/texts or on discord but not really here at all. Maybe that's something we should change. It would probably just take a few people getting the ball rolling and then see where it goes. 

Another thought, it's easy to talk about the match with buddies who were there.

But, sometimes on public forums and/or social media it'll just turn into generic "the match was great"..."stages were fun"..."thank you staff, can't happen with out you"..."shout out to my sponsors" link video to 3rd C-class finish and end of post.

Not super interesting and nothing really to talk about there. 

30 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

That's a good question. I talk about matches a lot with friends via group chats/texts or on discord but not really here at all. Maybe that's something we should change. It would probably just take a few people getting the ball rolling and then see where it goes. 

I do the same . We have a few different big group text going on with all the different groups I shoot with

There used to be discussions about upcoming matches as well. I remember scouring the back of Front Sight for match applications that had to be cut out, completed and mailed in. Times change. 

I do agree I think it's just a difference in the media people are using now. Forums are kind of dying out Instagram and such is where all the yoots are going now. 

But I'm old and tired of adding new apps all the time, so I'll just hang out here at the forums LOL. I don't know if I'll do any majors anymore or not, but I can tell y'all about club matches if you want 🤣🤣

I'm 20 months into the sport, and my sources are IG, Podcasts and YouTube. IG and YouTube are useful to watch videos of top performers and I've found it to be a great learning tool. Podcasts are awesome for breakdowns; either interviews of participants or something like the HitFactor podcast.  I'd definitely be into reading member experiences on here too, but as stated, I haven't found that to be the case since joining the forum.

Guys, check this out and see if you would be interested in trying it out. 

https://invisioncommunity.com/news/invision-community/introducing-live-topics-r1276/#:~:text=Live Topics is a hosted,after the event has ended.

It is essentially a live broadcast, forum based, that all the chat and questions are available after the live topic has ended. 

We have never, to my knowledge, used this forum feature before, but if you think it is worth a try, we'll see about setting it up.

To me, this sounds like a great thing to have running during, or after, a major match, to have real time input from members.

I absolutely LOATH videos , blah blah blah , blah blah blah...  usually 5 minutes before they even get to the point then blah blah blah everystep of the way... I think it is all about add revenue or something,, see how long they can get you to watch.

Used to be lively discussion of matches while they were going on here, but rumor has it some MDs and ROs got upset at any criticism at all (constructive or not) and started to retaliate against people that didn't sing only praises to the highest.

Maybe not a thing anymore, but anyone can read discussions here and see how comments can get taken waaayyy too personally.

1 hour ago, GrumpyOne said:

This might work, assuming that members could post their stage runs via YouTube or IG links into the chat then get feedback on them. If the MD had access then they could post match info etc.

As with all media, getting the word out to members/participants will be key to its success. The ability to turn the chat into a regular forum topic once the match is over creates an archive of the match. 

One of the issues with YouTube and other social media is finding stage runs from a particular match, if more people posted links on BE then it becomes a searchable archive which may generate more traffic for the forum.

33 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

I absolutely LOATH videos , blah blah blah , blah blah blah...  usually 5 minutes before they even get to the point then blah blah blah everystep of the way... I think it is all about add revenue or something,, see how long they can get you to watch.

I think the concept being suggested is more for stage runs etc.. When I was doing LiveShots there was no preamble, just "Standby.... beep".

I used to post more about upcoming matches i was going to, who else is going, what division are you shooting?  I'd get a couple of replies from other shooters that were also going or from others saying good luck at the match.

I wouldn't be the person to break down the stages afterward at a level that better shooters would want to hear. Something really negative would have to occur for me to post about that, not just little things. Generally keep it positive. Now with the level of participation in CO and more recently LO there's less discussion about the different divisions. I do enjoy watching some shooter match videos from matches I've shot or some I've missed.

2 hours ago, shred said:

Used to be lively discussion of matches while they were going on here, but rumor has it some MDs and ROs got upset at any criticism at all (constructive or not) and started to retaliate against people that didn't sing only praises to the highest.

Maybe not a thing anymore, but anyone can read discussions here and see how comments can get taken waaayyy too personally.

That happened to me multiple times.

9 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Why is there virtually zero talk about member's major match experience on the forum?

Matches are happening but I see zero discussion about good or bad stages, overall vibe, surprise outcomes, match flow, cool trophies and so on.

Ok here you go,,, last time it was just talk of the wall to climb over.

I think the big difference is that forums are about "us." The sport, the group, the hive. This forum used to have a lot of that. 

As narcissism has taken over, people want to talk about what "I" did and what "I" think. Sometimes people create their own forums, sometimes it's the IG thing, sometimes it's the ultimate in narcissism, podcasts. The rules on this forum over the years have been both good and bad with regards to content/discussion/debate. 

A couple of other forums have "competition" sub forums. They're usually pretty dead with occasional topics getting discussed for a while. A lot of shooters or more accurately, gun owners, who don't  compete have a lot of incorrect assumptions about the competitions and competitors.