RedDotsOnly

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, RedDotsOnly said:

Other than the CZ Checkmate, what are some good options that are more towards the budget side that people have had good luck with? Would like to eventually try something out but do not want to spend the 7k+ on the popular Atlas/Infinity/etc. builds. 

Thanks!

Brazos makes a semi custom line that's very good for the money.

I bought an open gun kit from him a couple years ago and it's still running strong. Only cost $2200 and got to put the parts i wanted on it.

I think a local builder had one basically ready to go with a belt and all for $4,500 bucks or something like that. I don't know if it was new or slightly used. If you're interested in something like that I can get you his email and he can be a lot more specific than I am LOL

2 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

Brazos makes a semi custom line that's very good for the money.

I bought an open gun kit from him a couple years ago and it's still running strong. Only cost $2200 and got to put the parts i wanted on it.

I will give this a look - Thank you! 

2 minutes ago, RJH said:

I think a local builder had one basically ready to go with a belt and all for $4,500 bucks or something like that. I don't know if it was new or slightly used. If you're interested in something like that I can get you his email and he can be a lot more specific than I am LOL

Thank you - I was thinking of doing something more from a larger (ish) company but, we all know those are more expensive so it might be something I look at in the future if nothing pans out. Thank you! 

If you’re not comfortable buying a quality open gun. I wouldn’t try to switch to open. 
budget open is carry optics. There is a reason It’s so popular. Most people aren’t comfortable dropping 7k on a open gun.

the gun isn’t even the expensive part. It’s the mags, ammo, upkeep, travel to majors. 
everything on a open gun is a consumable.

that being said. It’s a ton of fun. I highly recommend buying a high quality gun and going for it if you can.

25 minutes ago, Explosiveo said:

If you’re not comfortable buying a quality open gun. I wouldn’t try to switch to open. 
budget open is carry optics. There is a reason It’s so popular. Most people aren’t comfortable dropping 7k on a open gun.

the gun isn’t even the expensive part. It’s the mags, ammo, upkeep, travel to majors. 
everything on a open gun is a consumable.

that being said. It’s a ton of fun. I highly recommend buying a high quality gun and going for it if you can.

And we know you all need a backup for them cause they're not quality as durable as those budget open guns :) 

13 minutes ago, caspian guy said:

In my experience your best bet is to find someone at your local club who's got a gun that works that's looking to upgrade. Shoot it for a while and figure out what you want before you have one built.

Thank you - Unfortunately, Atlas' tends to be very popular in our area so I get spoiled quick. Lol

3 hours ago, RedDotsOnly said:

Thank you - Unfortunately, Atlas' tends to be very popular in our area so I get spoiled quick. Lol

Then you have your answer grab that high milage Atlas 🙂. Not sure where you are on your current journey, but my experience is that when you are getting started in open any gun that runs reliably is accurate, and is built by a reasonable name builder will serve you well and will carry you as far as you have the dedication for.

16 minutes ago, scooterj said:

The MPA DS9 open guns are $4500 with steel grip and 2 MBX mags

That would be the budget option. About as cheap as it gets for a brand new 2011 open gun these days.

Edited by Maximis228

The suggestion you buy a good used Open gun is a good one.  I bought and shot three Open guns before I decided exactly what I liked and wanted.  Then I built two.  If I wasn't able to build my own, I'd have gone to a willing gunsmith and specified exactly what I wanted.

I thought the bull armory guns were cracking slides at a few thousand rounds. I could be wrong though but, it seems like there was a thread on here where a guy was sending them in at about 8 to 10,000 rounds

1 hour ago, RJH said:

I thought the bull armory guns were cracking slides at a few thousand rounds. I could be wrong though but, it seems like there was a thread on here where a guy was sending them in at about 8 to 10,000 rounds

What 8k to 10k?  🙈 According to the review that was here on the forum barely 7.5k😉

18 minutes ago, yigal said:

What 8k to 10k?  🙈 According to the review that was here on the forum barely 7.5k😉

Guess I was being overly optimistic LOL. But if that's the norm or anywhere near the norm I think I would look elsewhere