Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cost Effective Open Options?

RedDotsOnly

Another vote for buying a selectively picked used open gun. I got a solid CK 38SC for $1700; came with a couple mags and the seller kindly included some brass. 

There comes a point...somewhere about $3500-ish....where you begin buying purely cosmetic things rather than build quality. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, konkapot said:

Another vote for buying a selectively picked used open gun. I got a solid CK 38SC for $1700; came with a couple mags and the seller kindly included some brass. 

There comes a point...somewhere about $3500-ish....where you begin buying purely cosmetic things rather than build quality. 

You can’t even get into a decent new open gun for $3500.  This is complete bs

37 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

I bought my back up gun on here for 2400. They are there but you have to lookm

You bought a cheap used open gun.

Go price out a new one. What you paid is merely a deposit and the differences between an MPA and a Venom of Eddie Garcia gun are pretty staggering.

A local gunsmith I shoot with built a 2011 Open gun for another guy I shoot with.  Nothing fancy.  Jem frame, plastic grip, Caspian slide, KKM barrel and all EGW internals for $2600.  Looks plain but runs like a top.

I think we are in the middle of a shift in used open gun pricing.

these days a used open gun from the best builders is 8500-9000.

that pushes the price of a lightly used example of one of their guns to 5500-6500.

Only the most high round count, sketch history, low end parts, etc gun will sell for $3500.

Just the parts for a high end build are 2500+

There may still be some people out there that are not good at selling things and give their stuff away below market for a quick sale or whatever.

But prices will be rising along with the market. Just like anything, you get what you pay for.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

A local gunsmith I shoot with built a 2011 Open gun for another guy I shoot with.  Nothing fancy.  Jem frame, plastic grip, Caspian slide, KKM barrel and all EGW internals for $2600.  Looks plain but runs like a top.

I would love to see it complete build list for that gun. 2600 bucks seems like a screaming deal

35 minutes ago, Explosiveo said:

Without a steel grip it’s prob $2000 in parts. $500 in labor and uncoated or sprayed with cerkote. 

Right, but that's what I'm wondering. Things like what coating, what site, what mount, what time, etc. 

A an STI grandmaster was something like 3200 10 years ago. I think a true bore was 2700 or something back then. So get it all together and ready to go for less than that seems like a pretty good deal

1 hour ago, Explosiveo said:

Without a steel grip it’s prob $2000 in parts. $500 in labor and uncoated or sprayed with cerkote. 

Yea that sounds about right..  The steel grip adds a chunk of money for sure as do the price of lot of the modern optics (say a romeo max or xl or an SRO)

Edited by caspian guy

2 hours ago, Explosiveo said:

Less.  Because he buys so much, he gets better discounts on almost everything.  For example, I get standard dealer discount on EGW parts.  He gets an additional 10%.  Uncoated.  Buyer supplied the dot.

All about location.  1 guy local has 2 identacal Camrons guns exclent condition ( bult @ the time frame when Eddy was their) $2500 on 1  and $2000 on the other and can't sell them, no buyers.  another guy has a exclent condition STI Grand Master for $2500 again no buyers....

12 minutes ago, 2011BLDR said:

All about location.  1 guy local has 2 identacal Camrons guns exclent condition ( bult @ the time frame when Eddy was their) $2500 on 1  and $2000 on the other and can't sell them, no buyers.  another guy has a exclent condition STI Grand Master for $2500 again no buyers....

I wonder how LO will effect the resale of used open guns going forward. Similarly Limited guns seem like a tough sell these days because no one really wants to shoot 40. 

There's a couple of .40 limited guns on GB; chatted with them a little bit and they are not budging on price. I got a sense that they are flippers and/or not the original owners. Nice guys, but not aware of the "limited' situation in USPSA. 

Another guy...super nice guy...had a .40 Open gun. He couldn't understand why nobody was buying it for $3600. 

22 hours ago, OpenshooterMclass4lyfe said:

If I had known brazos made completely fitted slide to barrel and slide to frame kits 2 an a half years ago that would have been my first open gun.    Installing all the rest is rather easy even if one doesn’t know how to do it they can learn easily.  

yeh slide barrel comp frame, prefit for 2300,,,, but really ? at the expense of the clucking hens coming out in full force. I think Open guys will be hanging out with SS and revolvers in next few years. 
CO,,, and now LO basically lets you have open fun with guns less than 1/4 the price,,, with factory mags that work, and factory level 9mm.

28 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

and now LO basically lets you have open fun with guns less than 1/4 the price,,, with factory mags that work, and factory level 9mm.

i personally am not a fan of open, but most open shooters I know (including mrs moto) openly laugh at LO. they have figured out that minor sucks, and expensive and finicky minor sucks even more. I don't see all that many of them being enticed into hiding in LO.

locally we have seen significant numbers of people go from CO to open as they get more serious and I expect many of the new LO shooters to end up on the same path.

Edited by motosapiens

I think thats the point though.. You dont need expensive or finnicky to run minor. You need it to run major 9 .
However I suspect you are correct, though people will spend money to move up a class or in the overall even if it really doesnt help them overall in the game until they get to M or GM level. As you shoot with your gear in your class against people in the same class with their gear..
But I guess I am doing the same thing, even though I recognize it... the handful of SC and ICORE matches I shoot a year, I pretty much only look at the overalls. And of course putting together best gear I can..

57 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

However I suspect you are correct, though people will spend money to move up a class or in the overall even if it really doesnt help them overall in the game until they get to M or GM level. As you shoot with your gear in your class against people in the same class with their gear..

the people i know moving to open just say they have more fun. 

16 hours ago, motosapiens said:

i personally am not a fan of open, but most open shooters I know (including mrs moto) openly laugh at LO. they have figured out that minor sucks, and expensive and finicky minor sucks even more. I don't see all that many of them being enticed into hiding in LO.

locally we have seen significant numbers of people go from CO to open as they get more serious and I expect many of the new LO shooters to end up on the same path.

Does minor suck? Or do people who struggle with that A zone just not like it? 

I can clarify this one: if you're shooting against major, or are looking at your spot in the overalls, minor does suck. If everybody's shooting minor then it's a non issue. 

I know that was not anything that took a lot of science to figure out, but it sure seems to come up a lot LOL

Edited by RJH