Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tool Less Guide Rod vs One Piece

HOGRIDER

I've read several posts for and against the tool less guide rods. 

Looking for recommendations from those shooting Limited type 2011 Competition pistols.............do you prefer the one piece GR that uses the take down tool (paper clip) or the tool less?

I really like the tool less for convenience during take down and/or cleaning, and am considering the Atlas unit.  But if the seasoned veterans here deem them prone to failure, I will stick with the one piece with take down tool.

Thanks for your feedback!

👍

1 hour ago, shred said:

I put Dawson toolless in everything they'll fit into.  So much easier.

21 minutes ago, ima45dv8 said:

Toolless. Like shred I prefer Dawson, if available.

I've used Dawson before in a fun/range STI; but never in competition..........so @shred and @ima45dv8you would prefer the Dawson over an Atlas for competition?

THANKS for your feedback!

Competing in USPSA matches is where I learned about toolless GR's. The Dawsons worked well for me, or I wouldn't have kept them in a match gun. As to whether Atlas makes a good model, I've never used one so I can't say. 

Either one eliminates keeping a paperclip as a required bit of kit.

I've used Dawsons since he invented the toolless guide rod a couple decades ago.   In all my competition guns.  So, figure more 20 years and well over a quarter-million rounds downrange.   Never had a single problem with them.

2 hours ago, ima45dv8 said:

Competing in USPSA matches is where I learned about toolless GR's. The Dawsons worked well for me, or I wouldn't have kept them in a match gun. As to whether Atlas makes a good model, I've never used one so I can't say. 

Either one eliminates keeping a paperclip as a required bit of kit.

11 minutes ago, shred said:

I've used Dawsons since he invented the toolless guide rod a couple decades ago.   In all my competition guns.  So, figure more 20 years and well over a quarter-million rounds downrange.   Never had a single problem with them.

Yea, I've used a lot of Dawson products over the years, and never had an issue.  Just haven't used the TLGR in a competition pistol.

I am very OCD on the maintenance and regular cleaning of my pistols.  Would the TLGRs require any specific or additional maintenance requirements I may not be familiar with?

Thanks to you both for your feedback!

👍

I have no use for 2 piece or gadget guide rods. Never had a 2 piece that didnt unscrew itself,  On my 5 inch bushing barrel guns I can wiggle in standard 1 piece full length rods, 
Problem I have is on my 6" bull barrel guns. on the  STI as mentioned I couldnt get the stock one not to unscrew,, and IIRC I couldnt get a full length one in , I seem to recall at one time using the paper clip ones. But I ended up measuring a GI style guide then taking a FLGR and cutting it 1 inch longer than a Milspec for the STI.
When I got a 6" 45 pin gun Rock island.,, it came with a 2 piece guide rod,, and of course it would unscrew itself, didnt even waste time and just cut down another rod and basically made a mill spec style.
SO yeh I use tooless guide rods in all my 2011/1911,, as in no tools or gadgets required for an original style guide rod.
If the gun needed a full length guide rod JMB woulda put one in.

11 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

I am very OCD on the maintenance and regular cleaning of my pistols.  Would the TLGRs require any specific or additional maintenance requirements I may not be familiar with?

Regular maintenance, no.  When you have the gun apart for detailed cleaning, check to make sure the spring is still good and the pocket isn't full of crud and the pin isn't walking and good to go.

One note, they'll work on the Prodigy, but out of the box you need to use the factory reverse plug which doesn't have the capture step on it so be careful when it's "loaded".

1 minute ago, shred said:

Regular maintenance, no.  When you have the gun apart for detailed cleaning, check to make sure the spring is still good and the pocket isn't full of crud and the pin isn't walking and good to go.

Sounds very doable!  

Thanks for your detailed feedback!

👍

23 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

Yea, I've used a lot of Dawson products over the years, and never had an issue.  Just haven't used the TLGR in a competition pistol.

Thanks to you both for your feedback!

👍

You’re over thinking it. Buy one and use it. Dawson’s are excellent and so far I haven’t had any issues from the Atlas ones I’ve used on builds. 

13 hours ago, shred said:

Target staples with one leg folded out work in a pinch when you're on the range and nobody has a clip handy.  

that is literally all I have ever used. I have bent target Staples in my cleaning kit for my guns that have traditional full length guide rods. I’ve never had a problem with my toolless Dawson guide rod in my atlas, but I would not pay extra for it either.

8 hours ago, motosapiens said:

that is literally all I have ever used. I have bent target Staples in my cleaning kit for my guns that have traditional full length guide rods. I’ve never had a problem with my toolless Dawson guide rod in my atlas, but I would not pay extra for it either.

yep for $100 I'll improvise.

The only Dawson tooless guide rod I have in any gun now is in a 1911 that I don't compete with.  I took them out of all my competition guns.  I had two failures that required going to my backup gun.  I had another failure where the front of the Dawson reverse plug came off.  Again, I had to go to my backup.  They have all been replaced by one-piece guide rods.  No issues with them.

• 2 weeks later...