Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Enos Members are IDPA Masters

RangerTrace

I haven't shot IDPA for a while and let my membership lapse.

I was a 5 gun M at one point. Got my first match bump in SSP at the 1999 (I think) Nationals and then got ESP, CDP, SSR and ESR shooting the old 90 round classifier. I might have gotten CCP but I don't remember for sure.

Highest I got in USPSA was A Class in a couple divisions.

Edited by Bill Nesbitt

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

IDPA Master is becoming a extremely wide talent pool. Maybe that's the way to word it. 

Example there was a local level 2 over the weekend. The guy that won it (USPSA A Class) I expected to win, he's in contention to win most IDPA matches in the area. 2nd place MA shot 61% of his score and was about 75 seconds behind. 

On top of that one EX got bumped to MA he was about 87 seconds back and is now Master too. 

I know USPSA shooters from C class to GM that are all Masters in IDPA. 

Edited by Racinready300ex

8 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

IDPA Master is becoming a extremely wide talent pool. Maybe that's the way to word it. 

Example there was a local level 2 over the weekend. The guy that won it (USPSA A Class) I expected to win, he's in contention to win most IDPA matches in the area. 2nd place MA shot 61% of his score and was about 75 seconds behind. 

On top of that one EX got bumped to MA he was about 87 seconds back and is now Master too. 

I know USPSA shooters from C class to GM that are all Masters in IDPA. 

I think IDPA's "Match Performance Promotion" rules (M-18.7) are ludicrous.

They make a mockery of the concept.

Let's say the following highly unlikely scenario takes place:

You decide to run the exact same match two days in a row.

Following the first match the EX winner is promoted to Master.

The following day the shooter who was second EX the day before by about 20 seconds is the EX class winner.

Now he also gets promoted to Master.

Even if everything else about the second match was exactly the same as the first.

Maybe I'm missing something about how match promotion works... I sure hope so.

1 hour ago, ddc said:

The following day the shooter who was second EX the day before by about 20 seconds is the EX class winner.

Even if everything else about the second match was exactly the same as the first.

most idpa rules are ludicrous. the only thing more ludicrous is the complete lack of uniformity on those rules

18 hours ago, ddc said:

Really it's worse that that in a popular division like CO. It's not crazy to have 20 EX's in a match, that'll will mean 4th EX will probably getting bumped to MA. You could have 4 or 5 SS's get bumped to EX at the same match. So in your example of back to back matches, the 2nd match could see the 8th place EX (from the 1st match) getting bumped to Master.

In this area there are a lot of majors, so we are manufacturing Masters to the point the classification system is kind of broken. 

2 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

Really it's worse that that in a popular division like CO. It's not crazy to have 20 EX's in a match, that'll will mean 4th EX will probably getting bumped to MA. You could have 4 or 5 SS's get bumped to EX at the same match. So in your example of back to back matches, the 2nd match could see the 8th place EX (from the 1st match) getting bumped to Master.

In this area there are a lot of majors, so we are manufacturing Masters to the point the classification system is kind of broken. 

Very broken. As you point out if you had a set population that continuously shot majors after a while everybody would be a Master even if their individual skill level declined during that period of time. 

• 1 month later...

Been a PCC Master since the first year is was an official division, just made Master CO via match bump at the RMR last weekend. 

Pretty much a mid to high B across the board in USPSA (Open, CO, PCC).

4 hours ago, dwbethue said:

Been a PCC Master since the first year is was an official division, just made Master CO via match bump at the RMR last weekend. 

Pretty much a mid to high B across the board in USPSA (Open, CO, PCC).

I can see that, high B roughly equal IDPA MA...

I used to think that a USPSA A was more or less equivalent to an IDPA MA. 

I still think that is roughly where it's at from a raw technical skills perspective but the IDPA match bump system distorts the relationship.

23 hours ago, ddc said:

I can see that, high B roughly equal IDPA MA...

I used to think that a USPSA A was more or less equivalent to an IDPA MA. 

I still think that is roughly where it's at from a raw technical skills perspective but the IDPA match bump system distorts the relationship.

I think high B to A is probably a decent equivalent for "most" IDPA Masters. I feel like IDPA really needs to break Master into 2 or 3 categories by itself. It feels like the disparity between lower Master and higher Master is a much bigger gap than low A to high A, or low M to high M/low GM to high GM.

It feels like IDPA Master is relatively easy to get into (respectfully) because of the match bump, which has gotten less overpowered in the new rulebooks, because the bar for entry is comparatively low. Once you're in there the range of talent within Master is CRAZY.

Like I'm not competing with Nils and BJ Norris and Seeklander lololol. In fact, I'm shooting like 65%-75% of them at majors on a good day. ~30% disparity from the very top to the relative entry of the highest "normal" classification seems like a huge disparity.

Edited by dwbethue
Clarity

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2023 at 10:41 PM, jpm2953 said:

Master CO, PCC and ESP for IDPA

Master in CO and PCC for USPSA 

Update:

Made MA in SSP and CCP this year both with match bumps. 

made Master in Production USPSA this year as well. 

I was A-class in USPSA, 2.3 percentage points away from Master, and lookin' forward to gettin' the M, then I lost interest in USPSA. Eventually I would get the M, but it was in IDPA Stock Service Pistol, on the original 90-round classifier.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/19/2023 at 2:18 PM, Racinready300ex said:

There were 43 CO Experts at FL State this weekend. 

16 minutes ago, waktasz said:

There were 43 CO Experts at FL State this weekend. 

So that's like 8 bumps to master or more depending how many MA's get beaten too. 

9th Ex was 42nd in CO and beat 47 MA and EX combined. So he should get a bump to MA. So 9 new Masters in one match.