Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers prices

usmc1974

Honestly unless primers start coming down some more like $60 a brick, I'm starting to eye buying cheap bulk 9mm from Targetsports with ammo prime...saving 5 cents a round when I'm really busy even with the 650 seems less appealing.  The only way to cut a lil more savings about 2 cents is to try to score deals on blems at American Reloading or something...I usually shoot Blue Bullets.

I'm shooting more 40 this year as I switched back to limited which there is still quite a big savings there so I'd rather use my primers there.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Honestly unless primers start coming down some more like $60 a brick, I'm starting to eye buying cheap bulk 9mm from Targetsports with ammo prime...saving 5 cents a round when I'm really busy even with the 650 seems less appealing.  The only way to cut a lil more savings about 2 cents is to try to score deals on blems at American Reloading or something...I usually shoot Blue Bullets.

I'm shooting more 40 this year as I switched back to limited which there is still quite a big savings there so I'd rather use my primers there.

I feel just like you do when I'm sitting here at my computer.  Then I go to the range and feel how sweet my 147 grain load feels/shoots and I rethink my plan.  EVERY SINGLE TIME.....

Even if it  was only saving 5 cents a piece, I'd still be saving $50 for less than an hours work.

I don't earn half that working a normal job for an hour, easy choice.

Not even mentioning that I get to choose what loads I am shooting instead of having to buy factory 124/115 grain since that is all that is relatively cheap.

38 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

I feel just like you do when I'm sitting here at my computer.  Then I go to the range and feel how sweet my 147 grain load feels/shoots and I rethink my plan.  EVERY SINGLE TIME.....

Very true, I don't shoot much 9mm pistol in competition currently just PCC and now 40 in Limited.  For PCC I'm running semi hot 115gr's so I'm sure factory 115 or 124's wouldn't be too different.

I've seen primers readily available for as low as 7.5 cents per round shipped these days. I get it's not the savings it used to be but still damn good compared to buying factory imo. If you're still paying 10-12 cents per primer today you need to join the discord server. 

27 minutes ago, CC3D said:

I've seen primers readily available for as low as 7.5 cents per round shipped these days. I get it's not the savings it used to be but still damn good compared to buying factory imo. If you're still paying 10-12 cents per primer today you need to join the discord server. 

I'm trying to join discord, but I need an invite.

On 3/5/2023 at 9:32 PM, usmc1974 said:

It seems today you can buy a thousand rounds of loaded 9 mm or you can buy a thousand small pistol primers for the same price

Screenshot_2023-03-05-22-28-48-095~2.jpg

my local hardware store has primers for 8.5 cents each, and 10% cheaper on senior discount tuesday. They've had them since the fall. I buy a k here and there while waiting for prices to fall.

Edited by motosapiens

On 3/5/2023 at 11:32 PM, usmc1974 said:

It seems today you can buy a thousand rounds of loaded 9 mm or you can buy a thousand small pistol primers for the same price

Screenshot_2023-03-05-22-28-48-095~2.jpg

I just bought 3k primers for 250 bucks.. your math aint mathing. 

13 minutes ago, CC3D said:

I just bought 3k primers for 250 bucks.. your math aint mathing. 

Where did you get them? because you can't them for that around here to 179-190 dollars  a 1,000. Not that that is a great price. It's been a while since I actually had to buy primers but the last time I bought primers was about 3 + years ago, and I gave her $127 for 5000 just saying

Edited by usmc1974

On 2/25/2023 at 10:12 PM, ysrracer said:

Let me know when Federal Small Pistol Primers are under a $100 a thousand.

Yesterday, in the Natchez SS email, they were $94. Plus all the extra fees.

39 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

Where did you get them? because you can't them for that around here to 179-190 dollars  a 1,000. Not that that is a great price. It's been a while since I actually had to buy primers but the last time I bought primers was about 3 + years ago, and I gave her $127 for 5000 just saying

Winchester spp online from academy

54 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

Where did you get them? because you can't them for that around here to 179-190 dollars  a 1,000. 

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/in-stock-primers-for-sale-c-2806.aspx

that's still a bit more than i paid for winchester primers at the local hardware store, but the hardware store is down to just the ginex ones now, although apparently their store in a nearby town has tons of the winchesters still.

I love the "math aint mathing" comment.

In all of this thread, the maths hold a lot of truth  AND

not all have the same numbers to plug into the equations.

Most have valid points based on what they see...

and I am still working on a primer reloading press/machine...

cause it is one way to avoid the genuine screwing

reloaders took recently over primers.

there is a whole world of robotics to learn...

miranda

We have a gun show coming up this weekend in Manhattan, Kansas. We'll see what prime members are going for but, I'm sure it's close to $200  a 1,000

Edited by usmc1974

Btw, just did a 30 second google search and found the following prices for in stock and ready to ship small pistol primers:

• Muron - $66/k
  • Ginex - $66/k
  • Fiocchi - $67/k
  • ZSR - $67/k
  • MKE - $67/k
  • Magtech - $77/k
  • Winchester - $83/k
  • CCI - $85/k
  • Federal - $90/k
  • Remington - $90/k

23 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

We have a gun show coming up this weekend in Manhattan, Kansas. We'll see what prime members are going for but, I'm sure it's close to $200  a 1,000

Who cares what some guy in Kansas is charging for primers? If he wants to rip you off and you let him that's your problem.. 

Realistically primers cost 1.5-1.75 times as much as they did 3-4 years ago. It sucks but it's still cheaper than buying factory AND those prices have been steadily declining. If you can't get with the times and learn how to use the internet to find a deal, I don't know what else to do for you. Threads like this whining about how expensive everything is certainly isn't solving any problems. 

I've said it probably 5 times now, if you still can't seem to find a primers for a reasonable price, join the Reloading discord server and be notified whenever a deal comes up online. This solution has been around since 2020 when primers first got expensive, but threads like this still exist today for lord knows why. 

Rant over 

used to be I could go to a gun show, and save a couple dollars per K on primers an a lb or 2 of powder,, basically enough to pay the show entry fee. Rest was entertainment.
Last  10 years though seems the shows are just full of price gougers, and idiots that are paying those prices on ammo, powder or primers,, like dang people, havent you ever heard of powder valley ?
Anyway I am good on primers , dont shoot much,, but if anyone local is hurting for federal large pistol gold match, I would trade for Winchester I only load pin loads in 45ACP or 44 magnum, and reduced 45/70 loads with large pistol and would prefer the WInchester LP standard or magnums to these federals.
 They pitted my slide I think.  Even though I saw ZERO evidence of primer bleed or gas cutting and my rounds wernt over pressure.. Although it was a rock island slide, just is there anything else that can cause a circle of pitting on the breech face other than gas bleeding by the primers ?

Over the past several months I decided that if I wanted to keep up my loading and shooting, I was going to have to pay the price.  I have thus far bought primers so:

FSP $90 + tax in local store

WW SP $83 + tax + hazmat from Target Sports

CCI SR $72 (discount for new account) + tax from local Academy 

CCI SP $79 + tax mail-order from Academy in Texas.  Right, no hazmat, no shipping added.  I only bought a thousand because I feared it might be a fake advertising site.  Nope, they came right in, although poorly packaged, 32 pieces lost on the road.

I heard of Argie primers for $55 at Norma Shooting, but quickly up to $63, now $79.  

Edited by Jim Watson

'Tis good to see. 

I think have  ordered from midway and nachez and recieved what I ordered.

Lets toss in powder valley as trusted.

They list as in stock and at a touch under 90 per K.

I suspect now that them foreign primers are getting common,

I will see the prices drop.  When I can order such from

a site I trust or are in the shops near me I will get them.

miranda

3 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

why not just buy them online for 40% of that? I can find primers for more if I want to, but I don't want to.

Edited by motosapiens