Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers prices

usmc1974

19 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

why not just buy them online for 40% of that? I can find primers for more if I want to, but I don't want to.

I have no intentions of paying those prices. I still have 20,000 small rifle primers in stock( locked safely in the Dungeon) I'm hoping Miranda, is right in the fact that sense  foreign primers are coming down, American primers will come down.

Edited by usmc1974

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, CC3D said:

snip...

but threads like this still exist today for lord knows why. 

Rant over 

quoted to let any who ask what I am talking about...

this thread exists to give us a place to rant.

I am very confident that Olin and Vista have created at least one

very resentful customer.  If I can find alternatives that are made in the usa

I'll buy those primers first (once the price falls under my current pain point.)

the only problem I have now is awaiting the next ammo CEO to get

axed because the clown could not find a way

to maintain a 500 percent markup on primers

and

a wonder what atf and E will do when the many hunters and firearm

enthusiasts take up making their own primers?

oh that ought to be exciting...

miranda

8 hours ago, Miranda said:

I love the "math aint mathing" comment.

In all of this thread, the maths hold a lot of truth  AND

not all have the same numbers to plug into the equations.

Most have valid points based on what they see...

and I am still working on a primer reloading press/machine...

cause it is one way to avoid the genuine screwing

reloaders took recently over primers.

there is a whole world of robotics to learn...

miranda

Will you live long enough?

ah, farmer....

I will operate on the assumption I'll get to prototype testing.

since it will be r12 powered, I was planning to get you as one of the beta testers.

your factory can be our secret.

some what more serious?

Yep, It may take me a while to get that done.

my concerns are how to harden the lead-guano-styphanate mixing robot

against energetic chemistry...

the rest looks easy!

fun stuff.

miranda

3 hours ago, Miranda said:

ah, farmer....

I will operate on the assumption I'll get to prototype testing.

since it will be r12 powered, I was planning to get you as one of the beta testers.

your factory can be our secret.

some what more serious?

Yep, It may take me a while to get that done.

my concerns are how to harden the lead-guano-styphanate mixing robot

against energetic chemistry...

the rest looks easy!

fun stuff.

miranda

👍

14 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Very good read on the current state of primers and ammo.

Take note that Fiocchi announced in November that they were buiding a $41 million primer manufacturing plant in Litlle Rock, Arkansas. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.outdoorlife.com/guns/ammo-shortage-2023/%3famp

Given how their primers literally are up 4X the price  here I'm sure they will be making even more $$$ and pass the saving on ...right?

I still have a decent stash of the non toxic ones from 2017 and back then those were 9c each vs 4c for the usual red box (CDN funds) .  They would be what, 35c now?

From the article Grumpy posted

“I had people—customers I’ve known for 30 years—come into the store and tell me that they had 50,000 primers, but they were looking to buy more,” says Morehouse. “What the hell? They’re never going to shoot up all that inventory in their lifetime. But that sort of defined our ammunition sales during Covid. If we got a box, we sold it for maybe twice what it was worth pre-Covid. And we still could not keep ammo on our shelves.”

That's a good year in  my household!

The reason primer prices are getting reasonable is ammo prices are getting reasonable because the hoarders have slowed with the hoarding and the new buyers have mostly bought.

For the past year if you ordered millions of primers you could get them in the mid $50s/K wholesale. Loaders and big retailers had back orders for miles and had no incentive to make retail deals so they priced what they had at whatever they could get.

Now sales soften and prices drop; supply and demand.  Not gonna get back to $20/k primers anytime soon.  Not even wholesalers are paying that low.

1 hour ago, boatdoc173 said:

ballistic expansion is SUPPOSED to be producing  primers.  they have been saying that for one 1 year though

I have been waiting for some one on this forum to state they have a box in hand

as my threshold for 'available.'

consider taking my word for this... primer chemistry is said to be tricky

for being a goldilocks type result.  Where there is a just right result and

too sensitive or inert are possible.  I have not made any type of styphanate

nor any of the precusors so I have no gauge for how true that warning may be.

I have more confidence that  once made, it is easy to set off with a static discharge.

That problem requires unrelenting attention to details to prevent unintended outgassing.

Those two explain why there is reason to believe that primers are 'the' real limit to

ammo production.  It is a good idea to keep the high energy chemistry to a minimum.

it clearly is not an easy task to make commercial primers.

so we have a company that can solve the problem we have had with primers

over the past few years.   I hope they can stay in Biz once they get going.

I am planning to be a customer.

miranda

A lot of people buy guns just to look at them. And a lot of people buy reloading supplies just to look at them, because they want to have them in the emergency. But then they are people like me, and the people on this board, who shoot the piss out of their guns and enjoyed them. 50,000 primers is not a lifetime supply. I know Professional shooters That shoot 10,000 rounds a month.

1 hour ago, usmc1974 said:

I know Professional shooters That shoot 10,000 rounds a month.

I'm under 750 a month, let's say 7500 a year.

I'm 65, and know a bunch of guys in their 60s that shoot, a few guys in their 70s, and 1 or 2 in their 80s.

I'll be kind to myself and say I'll shoot another 15 years.

What's 15 times 7,500? That's what I need. The question is, is that what I can afford?

Edited by ysrracer

52 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

I'm under a 750 a month, let's say 7500 a year.

I'm 65, and know a bunch of guys in their 60s that shoot, a few guys in their 70s, and 1 or 2 in their 80s.

I'll be kind to myself and say I'll shoot another 15 years.

What's 15 times 7,500? That's what I need. The question is, is that what I can afford?

I shoot about 800-1,000 a month Split between IDPA, USPSA  3 gun some practice/planking. It's not that I have a lot of money it's just that for a lot of years every payday I bought primers and powder.

Edited by usmc1974

29 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

I shoot about 800-1,000 a month Split between IDPA, USPSA  3 gun some practice/planking. It's not that I have a lot of money it's just that for a lot of years every payday I bought primers and powder.

What!! A lot of guys will call that hoarding. But I call it being prepared. I've done the same since Clinton was president and we could not get primers. I decided I wasn't going to get caught without again. Happened when Obama was president and now we have to deal with it again. 
Brings to mind the old story about the ant and the grasshopper. Which most people probably won't know. 😀

15 minutes ago, Don_B said:

What!! A lot of guys will call that hoarding. But I call it being prepared. I've done the same since Clinton was president and we could not get primers. I decided I wasn't going to get caught without again. Happened when Obama was president and now we have to deal with it again. 
Brings to mind the old story about the ant and the grasshopper. Which most people probably won't know. 😀

You're right and it's good that you are prepared. But I don't drink crème de menthe 😁

1 hour ago, ysrracer said:

You had me at Jello.

Federal Small Pistol Primers in the house!!

IMG_20230310_095548675.jpg

Now you only need ruffly 101,000 more And you will be set for life According to your calculations.😁

you have no idea how unhappy that makes me.

for your sake and because it means we are not yet

back to primers are available to all markets...

... I keep telling myself mail order is not a bad alternative.

miranda

On 3/10/2023 at 8:44 AM, Don_B said:

Same thing, since the Clinton primer scare I have stayed well stocked with primers.  Some may call it hoarding, I don't care, I vowed to never be caught short again and it has served me well.