Honcho Open Gun

Murzikrv

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Honchos require wipe down and oil after every stage? That’s just silly and untrue. What those few who own a Honcho and don’t care for it didn’t tell you is that there is an entire website forum dedicated to the gun with care instructions, how to videos and trouble shooting guides. Every owner has access and can post, ask questions, etc. just the same as here. It is monitored not only by PT but by their team shooters who go out of their way to help. They also provide a FREE yearly service where PT deep cleans, inspects, replaces the recoil, main and firing pin springs and will freshen up the trigger job if needed.

The Honcho is a friction based system. It requires lubrication on the lock block. There are Honchos approaching 100k rounds of major ammo with the same lock block, no issues. PT even recommends an inexpensive product that doesn’t run out of the gun in hot temps and has been very successful in staying where applied and keeping lock blocks oiled.

If you have questions on the linkless barrel system or any internet rumors, give PT a call. 

I have very much enjoyed my Honcho open gun with 9 major barrel.  With that said, I did crack a locking block at about 2500 rounds but there is more to the story.  At a match, I had a bullet pull out of a case somehow and dumped powder in the gun.  I cleaned it up without disassembling at the safety area and proceeded to the next stage.  More ammo issues and more powder in the poor gun.  Quit for the day and went home to fix my ammo problem.  Loaded some new rounds and went to the range without doing a clean and lube (dumb).  About 100 rounds in, the block cracked.  Called in to PT on a Saturday and was amazed to talk with Tiffany about it.  PT had me send the gun in which I did on the following Monday.  They got it Wednesday, fixed it with a new block AND made me a spare block at no charge then sent it back.  I got it late afternoon on Friday of the same week.  I was told lack of lube was the issue, which I believe to be true since the powder spill in the gun had basically soaked all the oil up.  I switched from Mobil 1 (seemed too thin and made a mess) to Lucas gun oil and have had zero problems in over 20k 9 major rounds.  I think the company took care of me in an above and beyond manner and I can say nothing but good things about PT and my Honcho.  I clean and lube mine about every 500 rounds or 1 match and 2 short practice nights.   I use no more oil than I would on any other pistol but make sure the lock block to barrel interface and the recoil spring housing to slide get plenty as these areas seem the tightest fit.  Otherwise, just follow the oiling video PT has.  The Lucas oil stays put very well and doesn't ooze out and make a miss like the Mobil 1 did.  I would not hesitate to purchase another Honcho.

Which Lucas gun oil? I’m feeling better about my decision to order a Honcho. I clean my guns after every match unlike some of my friends who only clean when they start having malfunctions because a good gun should be able to go 500 + rounds without a malfunction 😂

12 minutes ago, HI5-O said:

Which Lucas gun oil? I’m feeling better about my decision to order a Honcho. I clean my guns after every match unlike some of my friends who only clean when they start having malfunctions because a good gun should be able to go 500 + rounds without a malfunction 😂

A good gun should go waaaay more than 500rds before a malfunction. 😂 

I’ve owned a honcho so I feel like I can somewhat chime in with some advice and experience regarding the locking block chatter.  (Sold mine a cpl years ago due to financial reasons, loved the gun itself.) if the gun is dirty and you take the slide off just make sure you clean the heck out of the space in the frame that the locking block sits and you won’t have issues. It’s really only an issue If you let stuff get under the locking block when disassembled then reassemble without making sure powder or crud isn’t under the locking block. I shot well over 500 rounds at a time with mine malfunction free without cleaning. When field stripping and reassembling I learned very quickly the need to not let stuff get under the block. It’s really easy to tell if you’re going to have an issue. If the slide stop has resistance going back in when reassembling you left something (I burnt powder kernel or something) under the block. If the slide stop pops in like a typical link barrel Setup you’re pretty much good to go.  In my opinion this is what would lead to a block breaking because when stuff gets behind or under the block it causes timing issues (again this is just my opinion based on my experience) also it’s not easy to get stuff under the block without disassembling a dirty gun so it really is a user induced issue if you even can call it that. If you are aware of that though and just make sure you assemble the gun correctly, it’s a non issue. I think the one guy that lubes  his locking block every stage just doesn’t understand this simple concept and is way over thinking things and imo is totally unnecessary. 

17 hours ago, HI5-O said:

The Extreme Duty gun oil.

On 10/5/2022 at 10:50 AM, dkwatch said:

$250 is just the part. There are also shipping, fitting and range test charges associated with it from the quote I received.

Wow. They charge for range testing? Who the f does that? Ohh wait, nobody else that builds guns. What a joke. 

On 10/5/2022 at 10:50 AM, dkwatch said:

$250 is just the part. There are also shipping, fitting and range test charges associated with it from the quote I received.

You left out the part where you shot it with loose grip screws and broke the frame. The range charge is for testing the gun with 3 different barrels after replacing the frame. $1,235 is the total you were quoted which included all parts, labor, shipping and coating to rebuild your gun.

Please quit misleading people.  

14 minutes ago, jpeters11 said:

Were the screws not tightened or did the loctite free technology that’s advertised not keep them tight? 

Yeah, I'm also interested in how those screws got loose....