Honcho Open Gun

Murzikrv

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I’ve been using them several years now. Fewer issues than other open guns I’ve used. Anything can break and in open if you run it long enough it will. Especially in open. PT had taken care of any issue I had. A solid warranty on an open gun is hard to come by these days. 

I think they're worth the wait. Give them a call and they'll probably give you their current estimate and help you decide if their guns for you. 

My first gun was ordered 2 years ago and took about 23 weeks, was quoted 22 weeks.  My backup was ordered last year and took 28 weeks, was quoted 24.

So far they have been the most trouble free open guns I've used in 9 major and minor.  Keep them well oiled and they just run even when filthy with major pf loadings.

On 9/11/2022 at 9:41 AM, Murzikrv said:

Thinking about getting Honcho. Will only shoot Open 9MM. Very hard to find good review of the gun. 

I know that wait times are crazy and not predicable. Is it worth to wait ?

The Honcho is awesome! There are quite a few out in the wild. Where are you and there might be someone in the area that can let you shoot a few rounds? I have been very happy with mine. I'm also not sure on the issues with customer service people mention. I had an issue not directly related to the gun and the owner gave me their cell number to call when at the range to facetime to help troubleshoot the issue. Not sure how you can beat that for service.

8 hours ago, dansedgli said:

They reckon a mate of mine doesn't oil his enough. 

Busted 4 locking blocks so far. 

It's a hard pass from me. 

I have heard that they have been telling that to several owners, so whats the real issue with them????

They’re like 5 grand if you catch them in one of the deals they’re running constantly.  For not a whole lot more you could go full custom like limcat or some other 2011 builder like that.

I’m in love with my limcats.  Fast turn around times for a custom build and the customer service is top notch.  John builds some amazing 2011s and Julian is too notch in the customer service department.  

13 minutes ago, Jim Watson said:

The owner here says he wipes the barrel and oils "three places"  EVERY STAGE.  

Must work, I have not seen him to have a misfunction.  

Hmmm I guess so long as you know how to keep your gun running that's all that matters.

3 hours ago, lroy said:

I know multiple people that have broken lockblocks due to "lack of oil by owner".

Lock blocks are proprietary and only made by them. 

someone else posted on Instagram saying similar stuff. cracked the slide and they told him he didn't take care of it properly.

I can think of at least 1 company that can get you a 100% reliable and perfectly fit open gun in about a month. D2 Customs. Another couple who can get you a 100% reliable and perfectly fit gun in 3-8 months, Venom Customs, Carne Customs and Raffety Customs. All 4 of them will 100% take care of you after the build as well. 

As far as companies getting a bad rap and others coming in and saying they don't have an issue... that will happen to any company but why go with a company you even say in your original post is hard to find good reviews on why even still consider them. 

The honchos I’ve shot were nice guns but I’m just not a fan of the linkless barrel setup. It’s the same reason I prefer my 2 ‘normal’ 2011’s over my infinity. The proprietary parts mean you’re locked in to PT for life. Need a new barrel? Can’t buy a kkm etc. Has to be PT. I also don’t think their locking block/linkless barrel actually solved a problem that existed. Normal 2011 barrels that are fit properly don’t break links or pins on any kind of short time scale. 

id got with a ‘normal’ 2011 build from someone like venom. As I said, I like the PT guns to shoot but one of the great things about 2011’s is the wide choice of parts. With a honcho that goes away. 

5 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

Also, cleaning and re-oiling a gun every stage is not something I’ve ever had to do on any 2011 open gun I’ve owned. That would not be an ok compromise for me. 

When I first heard this couldn't believe it. None of my 2011"s have to be done like this as well

On 9/11/2022 at 9:41 AM, Murzikrv said:

Thinking about getting Honcho. Will only shoot Open 9MM. Very hard to find good review of the gun. 

I know that wait times are crazy and not predicable. Is it worth to wait ?

I am actually thinking about selling my new Honcho, it has 4 barrels too~  PM if you're interested I'm about to post it for sale~ 

On 9/14/2022 at 9:55 PM, Kilrb said:

When I first heard this couldn't believe it. None of my 2011"s have to be done like this as well

yeah It seems a bit much.

Overall I like the general idea of them, especially the never come loose screws (assuming it works). the 2 ive shot were very high quality, great trigger, cool looking guns but the non std 2011 parts/barrel setup and the high maintenance make them a non starter for me. 

I had mine break a block. I want to say it was at about 5,000 rounds. I was told it was A lack of lube on the block. I do lube the pistol often, but I was shooting in 105+ temps, maybe it wasn't enough?

I now make sure I lube it, before every range session. I also started using 5w-20 Mobil 1 for the lube. I don't worry about it in between stages, it's stays wet throughout a match.

It doesn't take long for the slide to get too hot to touch, during summer in southern Arizona. I've put another 10,000 on it and I haven't seen any issues so far. I do keep a close eye on it. I do like the Honcho, a lot.

IMG_20211023_120630705.jpg

Edited by generjoe

I have one on order, which I posted about on this open gun forum. Customer service has been great but seems I'm at the end of the road with my issues. I still haven't made up my mind on what I'm going to do. People have different experiences. I've heard honchos love to be run wet. But at the same time it's nice to know your gun won't break if you forget to lube it.