Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Frame Cracking

Gun1

3 minutes ago, sandflea316 said:

The frames can take a beating.  If getting spare slides and barrel are legal than stock up on those.   Those will go before the frame. 100k rounds is a lot of rounds round for one gun.  Get a spare or two.  I highly doubt one gun will see 100k rounds unless you are a serious high level competition shooter

Yeah, slides and barrels are legal, at least as of now. So I was considering getting into competition, but with semiautomatics basically seeing a defacto ban here in California, if I need to replace the actual frame every couple years, just to use an example, with no semiautomatics here in California thrn it might not be possible. If, oh the other hand, there were some indestructible frames, then every other part I can replace, even if it's more expensive than a new gun, but because of the restrictions I could do that, but if the frame goes I wouldn't be able to replace that. 

11 hours ago, Gun1 said:

So the reason why I'm so curious is because in California very shortly there won't be any new semiautomatics left for sale, revolvers only. So I'm thinking whether to use my semiautomatics or just save them in the safe. If something happens to the receiver that has to be replaced with a different serial number that's it, can't het it back here in California.

I think you will find in short order that your concern over lack of semi-autos in CA is for naught.

That said, how did your 460 Rowland conversion turn out?

6 minutes ago, GigG said:

I think you will find in short order that your concern over lack of semi-autos in CA is for naught.

That said, how did your 460 Rowland conversion turn out?

I, unfortunately, couldn't get it to work. I spoke with the individual who got it to work and he really tried to help me troubleshoot it, but it just wasn't working. Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that my platform was a 2011 RIA instead of a Para-14? Not sure, but couldn't get it to cycle properly. Gave up and got a Glock, lol.

Anything mechanical can fail.  The only question is, when will it fail?  The answer depends on the quality of each individual part in that particular item, and on the quality of the overall design.  Quality of individual parts is in general driven by design of part production and quality control during manufacturing.  Some lesser quality, or inferior, parts can make it to the customer and result in early failure.

Having said all that, if you look at the number of Glocks in use worldwide (Military, Law Enforcement, and Civilian) and the time they have been in service, I think you will find that based on user feedback they are some of the most reliable, toughest, and longest lasting semi-auto pistols available today.  I'm not saying they are the best, just that when some one source in the world is providing information that goes against the rest of the world user base...perhaps the data from that one source is suspect?

Edited by ShredderTactical
Additional info from earlier, based on posts.

On 7/1/2022 at 1:49 AM, Southpaw said:

If you can afford enough ammo to wear out a frame every couple of years, then you can afford to stock up now on some spare frames...

spot on. if you truly fear you wont be able to buy in the future, buy a couple of spares now.

I know of a few people with over 100k on their Glock 17s and one with over 250k and none have experienced any major issues, just replaced wear parts.

Like others have said, if you plan to shoot 100k rounds every few years, you can afford a couple $450 guns.

That being said, I did crack the frame on a stock XDm 40 in under 5k rounds which is why I now shoot a Glock.

On 7/8/2022 at 10:10 PM, Intheshaw1 said:

I know of a few people with over 100k on their Glock 17s and one with over 250k and none have experienced any major issues, just replaced wear parts.

Same here. Friend with about 250K is a former SF guy who does Exec Protect and other contract work.  Shoots strictly factory ammo and a lot of it. He ran a local gun shop and had his choice of guns. Never changed from his G17.

41 minutes ago, lgh said:

Same here. Friend with about 250K is a former SF guy who does Exec Protect and other contract work.  Shoots strictly factory ammo and a lot of it. He ran a local gun shop and had his choice of guns. Never changed from his G17.

Very interesting. There's a guy who runs a rental gun range in Las Vegas who says Glock 17 slides crack at the ejection port at around 100k and the actual frame cracks at 150k-200k just from shooting factory ammo, although he doesn't specify exactly which part of the frame it is that cracks. On the Gen 4s the back of the slide also cracks at around 40k, but he does mention that's a manufacturing defect that was corrected on the Gen 5. He also says the Sig P226 and Beretta 92 frames crack at around 150k, although the Beretta 92 slide cracks near the slide stop hole at around 90k; it's what he mentions. 

Edited by Gun1

3 hours ago, Gun1 said:

There's a guy who runs a rental gun range in Las Vegas who says Glock 17 slides crack at the ejection port at around 100k and the actual frame cracks at 150k-200k just from shooting factory ammo, although he doesn't specify exactly which part of the frame it is that cracks. On the Gen 4s the back of the slide also cracks at around 40k, but he does mention that's a manufacturing defect that was corrected on the Gen 5. He also says the Sig P226 and Beretta 92 frames crack at around 150k, although the Beretta 92 slide cracks near the slide stop hole at around 90k; it's what he mentions. 

I saw it on the internet so it must be true.....

3 hours ago, Gun1 said:

Very interesting. There's a guy who runs a rental gun range in Las Vegas who says Glock 17 slides crack at the ejection port at around 100k and the actual frame cracks at 150k-200k just from shooting factory ammo, although he doesn't specify exactly which part of the frame it is that cracks. On the Gen 4s the back of the slide also cracks at around 40k, but he does mention that's a manufacturing defect that was corrected on the Gen 5. He also says the Sig P226 and Beretta 92 frames crack at around 150k, although the Beretta 92 slide cracks near the slide stop hole at around 90k; it's what he mentions. 

The older models of the 2nd generation has much stronger slides  than the new ones. Probably no one is interested in producing a gun, which fires and does not break

4 hours ago, Gun1 said:

Might as well just buy 10 guns, just in case.

I also saw on the news that magazines are one time use, so you should pick up at least 500 of those....

Most people will never hit 100k rounds on their gun and probably not even 50k. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Or just buy a bunch just in case, it sounds like you may just want to justify buying a bunch of guns so do it.

11 hours ago, GringoBandito said:

I've seen 3 Glocks with 100K rounds and cracked slides. It ain't just interweb rumors. 

Nobody is disputing that machines fail.  Everyone with a lick of common sense knows they do. 

The problem with this thread is that the guy who started it doesn't know what he's talking about and has no context to filter the stuff that he reads on the internet.  He makes ridiculous assumptions, bases his plans on them, and then doesn't listen to those with experience.

The guy thinks it's normal to sink $8K on a polymer pistol. 

21 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Geez why did you have to stoke this dumpster fire?

LOL Right. I just read the entire thread and came to his post and was like, "Here we go".

On 7/16/2022 at 6:53 PM, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Geez why did you have to stoke this dumpster fire?

He's not the only one.  I cracked a slide at the ejection port on an early 2 pin Gen 3 G34 production blaster about 15 years ago, during a USPSA match.  That gun easily had a 100,000 rounds through it at the time.  We noticed in comparing it to a 3 pin Gen 3 G34 that Glock apparently lengthened the locking block in the frame toward the muzzle - and we speculated that change may have been made to reduce stress being placed on the slide at the ejection port. I haven't seen a slide crack on a Gen 3; I haven't seen a frame crack unless someone touched off a doublecharged round....

• 1 month later...

Good Day,
There are a sizable number of folks on this forum that compete using Glocks. Many of those have high round counts successfully cycled through them. If there was a trend for frequent equipment failures you would most likely be able to see clear evidence. It would also occur frequently, again supported by evidence. Evidence that can be verified. As it has been stated there are always conditions that will promote mechanical failures in any manufactured product. Especially when used outside of designed parameters. Hard use, abuse, are all contributing factors that increase the potential for an issue.

Most Glock owners who compete are pretty satisfied with the overall performance of Glock products. Reviewing the extensive use history of military, law enforcement, and civilian use of Glocks does not identify significant failure trends. Many here on Brian's Forums have done extensive competition shooting beyond that of casual Glock owners. Again there are no significant failure trends.

You can decide how much attention you are going to assign to a dramatic post compared to a vast body of knowledge and experience.

Cheers! 

I cracked the frame on my Gen 2 Glock 21, but then it was only because the barrel failed (NO-NAME AFTERMARKET) and I had a trip to the ER to check the damage to my hand.  Note I do shoot reloads!  And it could have been a double charge.  Glad I had the polymer frame and not a steel 'hand' grenade!

Edited by trebore

On 7/5/2022 at 1:50 PM, lefty o said:

spot on. if you truly fear you wont be able to buy in the future, buy a couple of spares now.

Yep, Like the person said they're not that expensive now. So buy more than 1

20220508_145513.jpg.08f4f42d89fc9437c0edd690c14b3326.jpg

Edited by usmc1974