Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Travelling to Cameo tips

Just curious for anyone who's flown to a match at Cameo, do you have any tips for airports?  Did you fly into Salt Lake or Denver and then drive another 4 hours or was flying into Grand Junction economical?  Just planning for October.

Thanks
Gen

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shot Big Horn Classic 2021.  I flew from Logan Airport to Phoenix to Grand Junction.  I didn't have any issues what so ever..  That being said, I'm seriously debating on bailing on Nats this year unless they change venues.   Too much attention has been brought to the wrong people and this game isn't worth snagging a felony charge to be made an example of.  

17 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

I suspect the org may shift the venue due to the recent negative attention, 

I think that's unlikely, at least I would think this late in the game it might be really hard to pull off. 

I assume there were no issues at 2 gun nats? If that went smoothly, that would be more reason to assume it's not moving. 

25 minutes ago, leadaddict said:

I heard 20+ from a friend working the match.  ~125 shot the match.

That’s cute. We had almost twice that number at our state match this weekend.😎

7 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

I think that's unlikely, at least I would think this late in the game it might be really hard to pull off. 

I assume there were no issues at 2 gun nats? If that went smoothly, that would be more reason to assume it's not moving. 

You have 4 months, lol....I realize we aren't dealing with rocket surgeons on the BOD but I suspect there could be a venue change without a whole lot of drama.

On 6/14/2022 at 7:52 PM, motosapiens said:

i can bring my mountain bike too and do a little exploring.

The Mountain Biking in Fruita and GJ is on par with MOAB.  If you can stay a couple of extra days.  Check out Mary's Loops in Fruita and Lunch Loop in Grand Junction.  

Be sure to bring a lot of water, and riding early is a good idea if not a necessity.  Also have a map.  It's easy to get confused on Mary's loop, which could lead to a longer ride than anticipated.  

Edited by Boomstick303

12 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

The Mountain Biking in Fruita and GJ is no par with MOAB.  If you can stay a couple of extra days.  Check out Mary's Loops in Fruita and Lunch Loop in Grand Junction.  

Be sure to bring a lot of water, and riding early is a good idea if not a necessity.  Also have a map.  It's easy to get confused on Mary's loop, which could lead to a longer ride than anticipated.  

appreciate the info and advice.... i've been to fruita once and moab many dozens of times. back when I was young we rode the white rim trail in a day. I'm not too stressed about getting lost.

I'm hoping that magazine scamdemic causes some good Limited shooters to stay home.... especially seniors..... ;)

1 hour ago, Bagellord said:

This was 2-gun nationals, so it's a little smaller any way because it's multigun

How can any Nationals survive financially on shooter numbers in the low 100’s. Unless it was a very expensive entry fee it had to lose money

17 minutes ago, Sarge said:

How can any Nationals survive financially on shooter numbers in the low 100’s

Even before the magazine issue became a thing, the 2 Gun Nats did not fill up.  The year before it had 224 participants.  I thought that this would be the last year for this event even before people dropped out.  Like you said it cannot survive financially with that kind of turnout.  Especially in light that USPSA will be running at a deficit this year.

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

How can any Nationals survive financially on shooter numbers in the low 100’s. Unless it was a very expensive entry fee it had to lose money

Per the financial statements it appears that most (if not all) the Nationals lose money.

Cameo is a beautiful faculty. 

Grand junction airport is serviced by like 2 major carriers… Delta can only get me to Denver or Salt lake at that time of year (before ski season). And either of those is a 4.5hr drive. 

A MAJOR metropolitan airport within 2 hours of the range really should be a prerequisite for Nationals. 

Between the magazine issue and the lack of airport access… Cameo is a terrible choice for a Nationals IMO. 

11 minutes ago, Dirty_J said:

Cameo is a beautiful faculty. 

Grand junction airport is serviced by like 2 major carriers… Delta can only get me to Denver or Salt lake at that time of year (before ski season). And either of those is a 4.5hr drive. 

A MAJOR metropolitan airport within 2 hours of the range really should be a prerequisite for Nationals. 

Between the magazine issue and the lack of airport access… Cameo is a terrible choice for a Nationals IMO. 

i agree.  great ranges in the middle of nowhere suck for an event.  but uspsa got tired of vegas...

2 minutes ago, outerlimits said:

i agree.  great ranges in the middle of nowhere suck for an event.  but uspsa got tired of vegas...

Well. When you choose to have a 20+ stage event.. you’ve kinda limited your options. 

I’m all for high round count matches.. but I thought 3 days and 18 stages was about perfect at CMP last year. They just need a few more bays, so stages don’t need to be doubled up. But even with that.. I thought last years events were a perfect duration. 

1 hour ago, outerlimits said:

I worked the last nationals in Vegas. My understanding was the desert sportsman club got tired of US PSA. Not the other way around.

That's what I heard as well. 

Long ago... like dozens of years ago, USPSA said Nationals only broke even if they were full up.

I think the 2-gun thing was driven by a couple of people in the org that really wanted it and hoped it would grow, but it doesn't seem to have legs.

USPSA needs to look at professional paintball events.

A significantly smaller industry that somehow manages to pull off events with far more showmanship and without going broke. 

USPSA Nationals is an embarrassment compared to the paintball “World Cup” hosted in Orlando each year. 

Edited by Dirty_J