Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Travelling to Cameo tips

1 hour ago, Dirty_J said:

USPSA needs to look at professional paintball events.

A significantly smaller industry that somehow manages to pull off events with far more showmanship and without going broke. 

I could say the same thing about IPSC. Their major championships are significantly better organized and presented than anything I have seen in USA in decades.

Match sponsorship is cash-only, not prizes, so the money can go into RO costs, props etc..

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Balakay said:

You have 4 months, lol....I realize we aren't dealing with rocket surgeons on the BOD but I suspect there could be a venue change without a whole lot of drama.

4 months isn't much time. Just to find another range that has a open couple weeks for something like this. Then agree to the price. I'd assume you still need to pay Cameo for use of there facility too. The match is going to be what a week long, plus a week of setup. That's two weeks they could of scheduled something else but didn't. Luckily USPSA has a surplus of funds.

The new facility might even mean a date change. Have competitors already put in for time off work, or booked flights,  air BNB's yet? Say they move it to Florida how many people already paid and registered that now wont want to travel that far? 

All this when we just had a match there last weekend that sounds like was fine. 

8 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

I could say the same thing about IPSC. Their major championships are significantly better organized and presented than anything I have seen in USA in decades.

Match sponsorship is cash-only, not prizes, so the money can go into RO costs, props etc..

It's pretty hard to get sponsors here to put up cash. I did the sponsorship stuff for a Area match for several years. We offered sponsors discounts if they used cash instead of product. It was still a tough sell and only a few did it. Level 2's are even harder. Perhaps that's just because that's what we're used to, maybe that could change over time. 

22 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

4 months isn't much time. Just to find another range that has a open couple weeks for something like this. Then agree to the price. I'd assume you still need to pay Cameo for use of there facility too. The match is going to be what a week long, plus a week of setup. That's two weeks they could of scheduled something else but didn't. Luckily USPSA has a surplus of funds.

The new facility might even mean a date change. Have competitors already put in for time off work, or booked flights,  air BNB's yet? Say they move it to Florida how many people already paid and registered that now wont want to travel that far? 

All this when we just had a match there last weekend that sounds like was fine. 

I’m sure there are several competitors that have no idea of the legal ambiguity of Colorado’s magazine laws. 

What’s an airline change fee compared to potentially being arrested. (Unlikely I know… but still asinine it’s even a possibility)

39 minutes ago, Dirty_J said:

I’m sure there are several competitors that have no idea of the legal ambiguity of Colorado’s magazine laws. 

What’s an airline change fee compared to potentially being arrested. (Unlikely I know… but still asinine it’s even a possibility)

That one thing isn't really my point, it's all of the things. It's not easy to schedule events this size and it may not even be possible to move it. If it is, it will certainly cost the org money. Maybe money shouldn't be  the concern, but we know the match was going to loose money anyway. And we know we're operating at a deficit this year too. We should probably know the cost before we make a big move like that.

A cheaper solution, everyone load to 15. If you choose not to bring legal mags it's on you. But, clearly from the beginning the plan was keep our head down and roll with it. So why wuss out now and change the plan this late in the game? I don't see anything changing. 

Hopefully the BOD puts more thought into this stuff going forward.

meh. i scheduled the time off to work and shoot the match, and reserved an airbnb. if it were to get moved somewhere I could drive, I would probably still go, but I don't see moving the match to be very realistic. I suspect alot of the RO's will be in the same boat, where we may not be able to still work the match.

Even with some douchey 'competitor' calling up anti-gun groups and dem legislators, nothing whatsoever happened except hot air at 2-gun. I suspect people are going to continue to not care, like they have been not caring in colorado for years, since you can still buy full-capacity magazines there in every gun store.

Yea, I am not sure why a person would do what they did.  But I guess if you have been a douche your whole life why would it change now?

Literally nothing happened.  I thought the news might show up and try to make a big deal out of it, but that did not even happen to my knowledge.

The 2 Gun match is a kick in the pants.  It is by far one of my favorite, even if it is scored in time plus.  Its sad that will probably be the last one for some time.

Edited by Boomstick303

30 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Yea, I am not sure why a person would do what they did.  But I guess if you have been a douche your whole life why would it change now?

Literally nothing happened.  I thought the news might show up and try to make a big deal out of it, but that did not even happen to my knowledge.

The 2 Gun match is a kick in the pants.  It is by far one of my favorite, even if it is scored in time plus.  Its sad that will probably be the last one for some time.

Wait, did someone do something? 

30 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

The 2 Gun match is a kick in the pants.  It is by far one of my favorite, even if it is scored in time plus. 

i meant to inquire about that. Now that the rules allow HF scoring, I'm hoping we'll see more of it. I shot a 2-gun at our club over the winter and it was good fun except for the time plus, which I think makes uspsa shooters worse.

5 minutes ago, Zincwarrior said:

Wait, did someone do something? 

There is a news story floating around about how someone sent a letter to the state AG about the letter the local sheriff had sent out in the spring that he had no intention of enforcing any magazine ban, in turn got local democratic state representatives to comment on how the Sherriff was not doing his job, yada yada yada.  (I have hard many rumors on who sent this letter but I will not continue rumors without knowing for certain who sent that letter.)

Interestingly enough I guess that Sheriff is up for re-election.   I guess we will see if people really care about issues like this with their vote.

11 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

i meant to inquire about that. Now that the rules allow HF scoring, I'm hoping we'll see more of it.

Jake actually sent out a survey about 6 weeks before the match on which scoring method the people attending the match would prefer to shoot.  I think the numbers were 118 people responded and it was split down the middle 59 to 59.  I am in the same boat I prefer hit factor scoring.  

I am in the process of putting on a 2 Gun match 3 times a year in our area.  It is hit factor scoring.  After the first match some of the 3 Gun shooters are the only ones that seem to complain, but  that was few and far between.  

Time plus makes all shooters worse.  😁

12 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

There is a news story floating around about how someone sent a letter to the state AG about the letter the local sheriff had sent out in the spring that he had no intention of enforcing any magazine ban, in turn got local democratic state representatives to comment on how the Sherriff was not doing his job, yada yada yada.  (I have hard many rumors on who sent this letter but I will not continue rumors without knowing for certain who sent that letter.)

Interestingly enough I guess that Sheriff is up for re-election.   I guess we will see if people really care about issues like this with their vote.

OK thank you. I did not know that.  

4 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

It's pretty hard to get sponsors here to put up cash. I did the sponsorship stuff for a Area match for several years. We offered sponsors discounts if they used cash instead of product. It was still a tough sell and only a few did it. Level 2's are even harder. Perhaps that's just because that's what we're used to, maybe that could change over time. 

It appears easier for the vendors to provide prizes; They can say they donated $3000 worth of prizes though the actually cost to the vendor could be significantly lower. It’s a win-win for the vendor but none of this helps to improve the quality of the match.

Nationals events seem to have lost a lot of their prestige, especially when compared to overseas events.

USPSA needs to completely rethink how Nationals are run, it cannot continue to throw money away like this. It’s time to end the participation trophies (prize table) and focus on the QUALITY of the event.

26 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

Nationals events seem to have lost a lot of their prestige, especially when compared to overseas events.

USPSA needs to completely rethink how Nationals are run, it cannot continue to throw money away like this. It’s time to end the participation trophies (prize table) and focus on the QUALITY of the event.

I don't pay any attention to overseas events, so i have no idea what sort of 'prestige' they have. However, I do pay attention to USPSA nationals, and it seems to me that in the quality of stages and the quality of officiating and the quality of competition they have only been getting better.

Since national matches for actual divisions sell out their few open registration spots very quickly, can you explain why USPSA should be interested in what someone who doesn't even shoot the matches anymore thinks about the quality of the events? It appears that the people who *do* actually shoot USPSA think that the national matches are good (except for 2gun, which everyone agrees is stupid).

14 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

I don't pay any attention to overseas events, so i have no idea what sort of 'prestige' they have. However, I do pay attention to USPSA nationals, and it seems to me that in the quality of stages and the quality of officiating and the quality of competition they have only been getting better.

Since national matches for actual divisions sell out their few open registration spots very quickly, can you explain why USPSA should be interested in what someone who doesn't even shoot the matches anymore thinks about the quality of the events? It appears that the people who *do* actually shoot USPSA think that the national matches are good (except for 2gun, which everyone agrees is stupid).

I shoot Nationals currently and i think the stages are fine. The rest is ****. 

2 gun could be fun… if it were hit factor. 

They’re still taking whatever warm bodies they can get for officiating and hosting in a remote, hard(er) to access location like Cameo is not going to make that better. 

The fact that someone even needs to make a post about “traveling to Cameo tips” spells out exactly what a poor decision this range is. 

No one needs tips on flying to Vegas. Or central Florida. 

18 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

Just a thought, if the match sells out in minutes and operates at a loss they're likely not charging enough. If they were to raise the price to reflect the actual cost to put on the event, then we'd have a better idea of whether or not the quality is there.

If the match operates at a loss, then the members who don't shoot it are still helping fund it via dues and activity fees and should still have a say in how the even is run. 

3 minutes ago, Dirty_J said:

I shoot Nationals currently and i think the stages are fine. The rest is ****. 

2 gun could be fun… if it were hit factor. 

They’re still taking whatever warm bodies they can get for officiating and hosting in a remote, hard(er) to access location like Cameo is not going to make that better. 

The fact that someone even needs to make a post about “traveling to Cameo tips” spells out exactly what a poor decision this range is. 

No one needs tips on flying to Vegas. Or central Florida. 

what exactly do you not like?

i have seen threads on tips on flying to central florida. I certainly had to do quite a bit of research before I went to frostproof (which is out of the way AF, btw).  but maybe you had somewhere else in mind....

2 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

If the match operates at a loss, then the members who don't shoot it are still helping fund it via dues and activity fees and should still have a say in how the even is run. 

i think members who pay dues and activity fees should have a say, regardless. Not so sure about people who don't even shoot USPSA....

5 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

what exactly do you not like?

i have seen threads on tips on flying to central florida. I certainly had to do quite a bit of research before I went to frostproof (which is out of the way AF, btw).  but maybe you had somewhere else in mind....

Frostproof is out of the way? The range is rural.. that much is true.. 

There are at least 3 international airports within 2 hours of the range. Lol