Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Travelling to Cameo tips

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, ima45dv8 said:

Jason,

I can only tell you that the average of staff at the Nationals (of any flavor) has been a point of criticism by shooters for at least 22 years that I know of...

Please consider that there's a lot of folks who may have aged beyond their physical abilities to contribute as a contending competitor, but who still actively support the sport they love in a meaningful way -- as a match official. Their feet may have slowed a bit but that doesn't mean their minds aren't still quick (yeah, some have dropped off, but that's a different topic). Your experience level as an RO/CRO isn't dependant on footspeed. 

===================

As for time differences between Summer and Fall/Winter, those 3 hours would have been a blessing when I was RM at the first GA State 3Gun match at So. River. It was a pretty big event with a lot of heavy hitters.

I had 2 pickups pull up into the mouth of the last active bay and turn on their hi-beams, while I stood behind the last 4 competitors on the starting gallows platform and shined 2 hi-zoot "Fighting" lights on their targets. (Would that be RO Interference today? :rolleyes: )

We got through it and laughed about it, but from a match management standpoint that extra daylight is irreplaceable. 

My 1st Ga State USPSA match hosted there they got a bit ambitious with a 1/2 day format and blew their schedule big time. The PM fellas also shot into the dusk/darkness. Unsure about anyone getting some headlight assistance... I was stuck to finish out on their "shoothouse", so it was especially dark in there surrounded by berm/trees on 3 1/2 sides! 

Your points are fair and valid... I don't know what the answer is... but the long term goal should be to get the younger folks involved as much (and as early) in their shooting career as possible. Being a good shooter "can" make you a better RO.. and being a good RO can make you a much better competitor (as far as non-shooting activities are concerned). 

Laughs like that at Level 1's and even state matches I think are reasonable... but for Area matches and National Championships... it should always be the best of the best... from the RM & MD... all the way down to the guy driving stakes into the fault lines. Details matter and good folks notice details. ;)

29 minutes ago, NMBOpen said:

Bays face north

That's certainly a huge plus for that facility... but as poopie as the sun can be at FP... I found it added a nice extra challenge to the match and it was shared all around with virtually all squads... and AM/PM... so the competitive equity was decent (usually).

On 6/16/2022 at 8:21 AM, Racinready300ex said:

4 months isn't much time. Just to find another range that has a open couple weeks for something like this. Then agree to the price. I'd assume you still need to pay Cameo for use of there facility too. The match is going to be what a week long, plus a week of setup. That's two weeks they could of scheduled something else but didn't. Luckily USPSA has a surplus of funds.

The new facility might even mean a date change. Have competitors already put in for time off work, or booked flights,  air BNB's yet? Say they move it to Florida how many people already paid and registered that now wont want to travel that far? 

All this when we just had a match there last weekend that sounds like was fine. 

comments didn’t age particularly well lol

On 6/15/2022 at 8:09 PM, Dirty_J said:

Well. When you choose to have a 20+ stage event.. you’ve kinda limited your options. 

I’m all for high round count matches.. but I thought 3 days and 18 stages was about perfect at CMP last year. They just need a few more bays, so stages don’t need to be doubled up. But even with that.. I thought last years events were a perfect duration. 

This one aged just fine. Lol

4 minutes ago, Balakay said:

On a positive note, if you shot at CMP year, your range safety card is still valid so no fun video to watch before check in

if i can make the rescheduled event, I'm going to get 4 matches in for 1 video. winner!

10 minutes ago, Balakay said:

On a positive note, if you shot at CMP year, your range safety card is still valid so no fun video to watch before check in

Atlanta is only 2 hours away… so I catch their club match 1-2 times a year anyway. 

3 hours ago, motosapiens said:

if i can make the rescheduled event, I'm going to get 4 matches in for 1 video. winner!

And of course now that I could actually go to the match, I've already plotted out my fall plans and will be running our big level 1 during nationals....