Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 mm brass cleaned and sticking on powder drop.

First off let me give you my  process.   I decap the brass  and wash it in a wet tumble using the ss pins 2 tbsp dawn blue, 1/4 tsp lemi shine tumble for 1 hour wash rinse deheydrator for two hours.

I know the brass sticks because it is too clean i have done a lot of searching found some things to try  and thought I would ask some folks here who have remedied the issue.

1.  Some have suggested armor all wash& wax is better than dawn  and lemi shine

2. some have suggested tumbling without the pins

3.  Some have suggested cleaning and rinsing the brass and to retumble for 15 minutes(no pin) using a car wax then drying

So i am asking if anyone can give me a tried and true solution they actually use.   My loader is a dillon 550  i would appreciate any help.

I just learned to power through the sticking. Once you get used to it you don't even notice it anymore. I have polished the funnel, switched to MBF funnel, done all of the above, etc and it still sticks. It's just one of those very common problems we learn to deal with. I always go back to, "screw it, just power through the upstroke".

Make sure your problem really is 'too clean' and not 'case mouths dinged up from banging into each other in the tumbler'.  I've seen that happen a few times

Run only a few cases through your cleaning process and see if those load any easier.

Also Hornady One Shot case lube if you don't.

I just finished loading a couple thousand 9’s and I do like Sarge just put a little more power in it. I’m not trying to beat any clock anymore so I probably go slower than most people. Just the way I do it.

I've been told that after the wet cleaning and drying, run the clean brass through a vibrating tumbler with corncob media and some light polish, and this will put a light coating on the brass to help with the sticking on the powder through expander.  I use the wet tumble with Armor All Wash-N-Wax, and haven't noticed any problems with sticking in either my 550 or my Square Deal.  Good luck!

I wet tumble, then tumble in corn cob with a drizzle of 50/50 mix of no-odor mineral spirits and Nu-Finish car polish.  The car polish puts a thin waxy coating that keeps them from tarnishing, but also has a slight lubricity.  That helps, but I also have the MBF funnel and still get "sticking."  I also put each batch of 100 cases in a gallon ziploc and give a 1.5 to 2 second spray of OneShot throughout the bag.  I then close the bag and roll the cases around on a flat surface, then pick up the bag, forcing the cases into one of the corners, and knead them against each other a bit.  This reduces the sticking even more, but still does not eliminate it completely.  I also polished the expander portion of the MBF funnel which helped a little more.  Thicker/harder cases still "stick" a little (like CBC headstamp).  As suggested by others, just power through the stickiness in a controlled manner so you don't spill the powder when it breaks loose.  I find that standing at the press and lowering the handle to the side of my body helps me to control it better.  Just a few things to try.

Mike

5 hours ago, shred said:

Also Hornady One Shot case lube if you don't.

yep based on advice here i spray that in a gallon ziploc bag, put in 2-3 handfuls of cleaned brass and swish it all around, then dump the brass in my feeder.  definitely cuts down on sticking during sizing and powder drop.  i also do that but a little less spray for new brass.  i'll put a handful of loaded rounds in a towel to remove any excess lube.

Personally I use seperate expanders in station 2 of my D650's and moved the powdermeasures to station 3. With the Lyman M-die and Redding (premium and standard) expanders I experience no sticking at all. My .45 and 9 brass is wet tumbled.

Station 1 - Redding TiC sizer

Station 2 - Redding Premium expander

Station 3 - Powder

Station 4 - Redding seater

Station 5 - Redding adjustable crimp die

Redding_Premium_9mm.jpg

Edited by RGA

The citric acid in the Lemi-shine is what makes them so squeaky. Auto wax in the mix really helps. Those tiny burrs on the mouths don’t help either. 

Edited by Farmer

Ok thanks for the replies and ideas you guys say to spray brass with one shot i am a little confused how do you spray them not sure on 9mm.  will the lube get in the case mouth also has anyone just lubed the powder drop funnel and let it dry or does powder stick to it.

Edited by bnchief

2 hours ago, bnchief said:

Ok thanks for the replies and ideas you guys say to spray brass with one shot i am a little confused how do you spray them not sure on 9mm.  will the lube get in the case mouth

A SMALL AMOUNT WILL MAKE IT INTO SOME OFTHE CASES BUT YOULL STILL HAVE SOME STICKING has anyone just lubed the powder drop funnel and let it dry or does powder stick to it.

SOME POWDER MIGHT STICK BUT THE BIGGER PROBLEM WILL BE THE LUBE WILL WEAR OFF PRETTY QUICKLY CAUSING YOU CONSTANTLY KEEP SOME LUBE ON IT.

Best thing I found was, again, just power through the upstroke.

Check if the funnel has ridges.Try polishing the funnel. Find a 5mm bolt and nut( a touch smaller than 1/4 inch), tighten it in a drill and polish the funnel where it flares on the case with 1000grit wet paper. Then some polishing compound. I had the same problem and this is what was suggested to me and it worked. Just trying to help

On 3/10/2022 at 7:02 AM, bnchief said:

Ok thanks for the replies and ideas you guys say to spray brass with one shot i am a little confused how do you spray them not sure on 9mm.  will the lube get in the case mouth also has anyone just lubed the powder drop funnel and let it dry or does powder stick to it.

If you aren't sure this will fix your problem, put a little on your fingers and wipe it on the powder funnel (oil will work if you've got nothing else handy).  It'll wear off after a few rounds, but will let you know if that's the right direction. 

I dump a couple hundred cleaned 9 cases in a plastic shoebox willy-nilly, give it a blast of one-shot, shake it to mix the brass, give it another blast, shake and dump it into the casefeeder.  Makes sizing much easier and more consistent too.  If you don't hose on One Shot too heavily, there's no need to clean it off after loading (other lubes may vary).  Every couple years when the shoebox gets too grungy, splash out $1.59 on a new one.

• 3 months later...

Hornady One Shot is a gamechanger for smooth operating even with pistol cases.  It isn't going to leave a greasy film like dillon lube. You don't have to worry about it contaminating the powder. You actually WANT it to get in the case mouth.  I picked up an old baking pan from a thrift shop.  Put a bunch of cases in and shake it until most of them are facing up.  Spray, shake around some more and your'e done.

8 hours ago, assaulter said:

You actually WANT it to get in the case mouth.

I've always wondered how lubricating the outside of cases would in any way help with powder funnel stickage.

Now will it help with sizing? For sure. That's the only reason I do it.

One shot is the next best thing since sliced bread. I lay my brass on a towel, spray them down, fold the towel and funnel into a plastic tupperware bin. I do use the Lyman M die to expand the case mouth, this will relieve the powder funnel from having to expand the case mouth. No sticking ever.

291779928_603813501071494_2419982581560189276_n.jpg

This information was given to me by one of our industry's true innovators!

As you know, the case mouths must be slightly expanded to assure that the projectiles stay in position when the press is indexed.

There are a few factors that can aggravate the "tugging" when the funnel/expander is removed from a case.

From my point of view, I think the first thing I would suggest is to use a good case lube. Some folks don't like to use a case lube on handgun cases, but I recommend it. It makes the whole stroke smoother and you'll need less overall force to complete the stroke. I like Hornady One Shot in the original aerosol can. I usually spread out the cases so they lay down on an old cookie sheet and then spray one side. When the brass is mixing in the casefeeder, the lube will spread all over the cases. Some lube will migrate into the case mouths and aid in reducing tugging. I've attached a file that also shows how to make your own lube that will work quite well.

When the funnel/expander is new... you may reduce some of the tugging (during break-in) by occasionally wiping a little lanolin on the expander area of the funnel with your fingertip.

It's also possible that your funnel was poorly machined / or slightly oversize. The expander step should be something around .3575" or .3580" maximum for the 9-38 funnel.

I'm also sold on the Hornady One Shot for lubing my wet cleaned brass.  And similar to using some lanolin, I take a Q-tip with One Shot sprayed on and swab the funnel expander prior to a reloading session.

👍

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp