Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP-5 reviews/input

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

In all honesty I have no idea. I have not flushed out all of the possibilities. One possibility is I am using clean Shot powder in my PCC Ammo. It was a cooler day being in the 40s vs 75-80 when the ammo performed with a PF of 135-140.  I have no idea if Clean Shot is temp sensitive. I need to figure that at as well for various reasons.  Could it be to tacky lube due to temperatures dropping?  Due to a combination of things?  All I do know is the ejection pattern was different than it was before. 

To my surprise I had issues where I did not before. With the 80 degree lock piece the gun has not missed a beat.  It eats everything. 

To run different lock pieces you most likely need to watch your setup more closely as you are running closer the the edge of reliability as mentioned above. 

I put that out there for everyone to be mindful when using different lock pieces and what to look for. 

Cleanshot is reverse temp sensitive in my experience. Lower velocity when hot. Higher velocity when cool. 

Shooters World attempts to place the blame on coated bullets.. but that’s been my experience with plated in the PCC as well

1 hour ago, Boomstick303 said:

To my surprise I had issues where I did not before. With the 80 degree lock piece the gun has not missed a beat.  It eats everything. 

What sort of difference, if any, do you notice in recoil, split speed, dot jump, etc., between the 70 degree and 80 degree lock pieces shooting the same load?

2 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

In all honesty I have no idea. I have not flushed out all of the possibilities. One possibility is I am using clean Shot powder in my PCC Ammo. It was a cooler day being in the 40s vs 75-80 when the ammo performed with a PF of 135-140.  I have no idea if Clean Shot is temp sensitive. I need to figure that at as well for various reasons.  Could it be to tacky lube due to temperatures dropping?  Due to a combination of things?  All I do know is the ejection pattern was different than it was before. 

To run different lock pieces you most likely need to watch your setup more closely as you are running closer the the edge of reliability as mentioned above. 

I put that out there for everyone to be mindful when using different lock pieces and what to look for. 

Definitely makes sense to what Cory has stated above.

5 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

Regarding running light loads on the ragged edge of a lock piece performance (e.g. light 124's in 70 degree lock): Any time you try to get to the edge you're reducing the operating window. 

I ran an 80 degree lock piece with 20+ types of ammo totaling multiple tens of thousands of rounds over multiple years. There IS a reason JP ships the JP-5's with the 80 degree lock piece. 

The 70, 60 and other angle lock pieces are optional for various goals. The 60 degree is a more duty ammo specific item. The 70 degree is more for factory loads, but can be used for ragged edge performance for USPSA power factor loads in some cases. Don't expect any lock piece to defy physics

If anyone needs help building out anything but wants specific advice, shoot me a PM. 

Please, save me some time and give me an N320 load with 124 grain projectiles that will work for the JP5 and the P320.  I just zeroed the gun again with the 70 degree LP and Blazer Brass 124s.  I'd like to load something softer.

Just now, RangerTrace said:

Please, save me some time and give me an N320 load with 124 grain projectiles that will work for the JP5 and the P320.  I just zeroed the gun again with the 70 degree LP and Blazer Brass 124s.  I'd like to load something softer.

Can't say fore sure on the P320 and 124's. I haven't had a sig.

Probably around 3.6-3.8 of N320 but you might have to mess with it. 

On 2/25/2023 at 6:46 PM, GJM said:

Close call as to what costs more the JP-5 or all your ammo! What do you think of the weight of your Eotech on the JP? 

I'm also running an Eotech ( @Boomstick303) made the recommendation and I love it.  Very happy with that choice especially after the last match that involved a lot of rain (and me tripping on an upright for a barricade in the mud).

45 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

3.8 grs if you're using coated bullets. 4.0 grs if using JHP. Gives ~130 PF through a 4.7" Sig AXG.

6 hours ago, DwightSchrute said:

What sort of difference, if any, do you notice in recoil, split speed, dot jump, etc., between the 70 degree and 80 degree lock pieces shooting the same load?

I feel the dot moves more with the 80 degree when using my 124 gr at a PF of 135-140.  

I feel the dot moves noticeably less using 147 gr bullets with a PF or around 130 using the 80 degree than when I use 124 gr ammo.  I intend to load some 147 gr to get the best of both worlds, least amount of dot movement with reliability is the goal.  Obviously if I make the load too light you could run into the same issue with the 147 gr bullets with stock 80 degree lock piece.  It has been particularly cold here so I have not been able to work up a finalized load yet.

To my understanding the lower the number of the lock piece the longer the bolt stay locked up (delayed).  Meaning less gas is pushing the bolt rearward, so if that is truly the case it makes sense that the felt recoil and dot movement would be less.  I could be completely wrong, but this is my understanding.  

What the risk would be is there is too much of a delay there is a chance there is not enough energy to move the bolt rearward creating a malfunction.  

As @Darqusoull13mentioned it comes with the 80 degree to prevent this risk and allows the gun to run reliably with a wide range of ammo.  Once us monkeys start playing with stuff, there is always a chance of creating issues that do not need to exist.  

3 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

I feel the dot moves more with the 80 degree when using my 124 gr at a PF of 135-140.  

I feel the dot moves noticeably less using 147 gr bullets with a PF or around 130 using the 80 degree than when I use 124 gr ammo.  

Thanks for reporting on your experience.  It sounds like I’m going to have to try both the 80 degree and 70 degree lock pieces.

12 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

I feel the dot moves noticeably less using 147 gr bullets with a PF or around 130 using the 80 degree than when I use 124 gr ammo.  I intend to load some 147 gr to get the best of both worlds, least amount of dot movement with reliability is the goal.  Obviously if I make the load too light you could run into the same issue with the 147 gr bullets with stock 80 degree lock piece.  It has been particularly cold here so I have not been able to work up a finalized load yet.

To my understanding the lower the number of the lock piece the longer the bolt stay locked up (delayed).  Meaning less gas is pushing the bolt rearward, so if that is truly the case it makes sense that the felt recoil and dot movement would be less.  I could be completely wrong, but this is my understanding.  

What the risk would be is there is too much of a delay there is a chance there is not enough energy to move the bolt rearward creating a malfunction.  

As @Darqusoull13mentioned it comes with the 80 degree to prevent this risk and allows the gun to run reliably with a wide range of ammo.  Once us monkeys start playing with stuff, there is always a chance of creating issues that do not need to exist.  

I am happy to hear the 147 were softer than 124's in the JP-5. I have only used 124 up until now and they are pretty good. Problem is I like to use the same ammo in both my PCC and pistol. I just got a new SIG X5 and it hates 124's, my groups looked more like a shotgun pattern. 147's on the other hand were nice tight groups. Im looking forward to trying 147's in my JP-5. Was the accuracy any different with 147's in your JP-5?

48 minutes ago, mpeltier said:

I am happy to hear the 147 were softer than 124's in the JP-5. I have only used 124 up until now and they are pretty good. Problem is I like to use the same ammo in both my PCC and pistol. I just got a new SIG X5 and it hates 124's, my groups looked more like a shotgun pattern. 147's on the other hand were nice tight groups. Im looking forward to trying 147's in my JP-5. Was the accuracy any different with 147's in your JP-5?

The think the issue will be if you use a fast enough powder to make the 147s nice in your pistol, it's not going to work well in a 14.5" barrel.  As I said earlier, my N320 load does 910 out of the P320, but only 800 out of the JP5.  Even at that, the groups at 10-15 yards were the same POI with those and factory 124s.

14 hours ago, mpeltier said:

Was the accuracy any different with 147's in your JP-5?

Too small of a sample size but I cannot imagine there will be any difference. I only put about 20 or so 147s down the pipe because they were coated. In the next week here I intend to get some 147 gr JHP loaded up for testing. We are getting some breaks in the weather that will allow for testing. 

I am surprised with your results in the X5 in regards to 124/5 vs 147. That is completely backwards to what has been expressed on this forum and in my own personal testing. The only way I could get 147 to group well in the X5 platform was to speed them up considerably. At that point why use 147 gr when they were moving almost as fast as my 124/125 gr loads to group properly. What is that PF of your 147 out of your X5?

Edited by Boomstick303
4 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Too small of a sample size but I cannot imagine there will be any difference. I only put about 20 or so 147s down the pipe because they were coated. In the next week here I intend to get some 147 gr JHP loses up for testing. We are getting some breaks in the weather that will allow for testing. 

I am surprised with your results in the X5 in regards to 124/5 vs 147. That is completely backwards to what has been expressed on this forum and in my own personal testing. The only way I could get 147 to group well in the X5 platform was to speed them up considerably. At that point why use 147 gr when they were moving almost as fast as my 124/125 gr loads to group properly. What is that PF of your 147 out of your X5?

The 124's were my standard 9mm loading at 1050 fps for 130 pf. My CZ orange groups 1-3/8" as does my APEX barreled M&P and those are with irons sights. The JP-5 makes one raged hole about an inch in diameter at 25yds. My X-5 with 124's wont even keep 5 bullets in the head box of an IPSC target at 15yds. Then switch to 147's at 139PF and the X5 makes groups (15yds) at about 1-1/2" with an optic. It was also remarkably softer shooting with 147's. This is with the 14lb spring.

On 2/27/2023 at 4:27 PM, RangerTrace said:

Supervel 147 grain reman competition load is the best round I've used so far, incredibly soft shooting.  I swapped in a 60 degree locking piece and it's even softer.

I tried SuperVel 147, 124 and 115 using 80, 70 and 60 lock pieces.  They all ran fine, with different degrees of soft shooting, 60 being the softest.  I was running the 115 and 60 lock piece, but just went up to the 70.  I like the feel of 115 and the 70 lock piece best.  Feeling is very subjective, but for me, the recoil and dot stability is right on.

I have been using SuperVel for a couple of years now.  Prices are more than fair and the ammo is clean and consistent.  I use the 147 in my pistol.

11 hours ago, BartCarter said:

I tried SuperVel 147, 124 and 115 using 80, 70 and 60 lock pieces.  They all ran fine, with different degrees of soft shooting, 60 being the softest.  I was running the 115 and 60 lock piece, but just went up to the 70.  I like the feel of 115 and the 70 lock piece best.  Feeling is very subjective, but for me, the recoil and dot stability is right on.

I have been using SuperVel for a couple of years now.  Prices are more than fair and the ammo is clean and consistent.  I use the 147 in my pistol.

Y'all are confusing me now.  From what I read on the JP website and this thread is the 80 degree it ships with is best all around for soft steel challenge rounds etc.  The 70 would be better for hotter factory ammo and the 60 for high pressure duty ammo.

43 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

Y'all are confusing me now.  From what I read on the JP website and this thread is the 80 degree it ships with is best all around for soft steel challenge rounds etc.  The 70 would be better for hotter factory ammo and the 60 for high pressure duty ammo.

You are correct. It just means the loads people are using are rather hot. If you go 60 degree with a load that is too soft, you run the risk of malfunctions. But it could work... An 80 would work with most ammo, but might not give the best performance with hot ammo as it will cycle the action at a higher pressure/velocity. Personally I would follow JP's recommendations. I have ordered a 70 myself to test with my factory ammo.

44 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

You're not confused. This is exactly correct. 

I got my first 5 about a month ago and have done a lot of testing. The 80 it ships with is ultra reliable and feels / runs well with ammo up to @ 130PF. Higher than that and performance begins to degrade. Moving to a 70 & the difference is night & day. It seems to perform best in the 133-137 range. Below this threshold it's very soft but has the sluggish feel of soft 147 loads. Above and the 70 runs out of steam pretty quickly. The 60 is a different beast altogether. It seems like the 80-70-60 jumps are not linear. With lower PF loads the 60 is basically a rimfire. Laughably soft. However ejection is predictably weak. For me the 60 requires PF of @ 143 and above to act right. 

Mine is the SC model. Since February was tinker month, after a lot of playing I settled on PD 115 JHP V2's with 5.2g of N340 and the 60. Makes @ 146PF and does exactly what I want it to. I also played with the buffer a bit but after several different combos wound back up with the stock setup. The stock spring in mine is the black / uncolored which JP list as their 15-85. I tried a 15-90 and although it was slightly better, I had ejection concerns and moved back to the 85. Also just an FYI. The buffer has one weight with a small 45 deg cut on it to take off the edge. Just something to be aware of. 

Now for the quick review. I was on the original wait list and after some deliberation I declined to order one then and decided to stick with my 2 trusty GMR-15's. Reason being the cost vs improvement range. Plus I was shooting open mostly anyway. End result, biggest mistake I've made in a long time. Now 5 number 2 on order and both Open guns in safe. The hype is real. This is as close to cheating as you can get without getting banned from the game. Attempting to explain how they shoot to someone verbally is an exercise in futility. You just have to experience it for yourself to believe it. 

Also for the disclaimer. The test results listed above are mine alone and not intended to cause any micro aggressions. Good day to all. 

-PTR

great information to work with.

I've been pretty much running the 70 and supervel 124 ammo with great results with the SC model.

I just got a 60, but havent had time to play with it yet.

4 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

What you read is correct. 

I would ignore anything regarding 147's and a 60 degree lock piece unless it's Duty Ammo or similar spice. 

On 2/27/2023 at 10:27 PM, RangerTrace said:

We use 4,0 4,1 grain of N320 on FMJ 124's to achieve 130 PF in a J5. It might be a bit slower in your Sig though.

3 hours ago, Part_time_redneck said:

You're not confused. This is exactly correct. 

I got my first 5 about a month ago and have done a lot of testing. The 80 it ships with is ultra reliable and feels / runs well with ammo up to @ 130PF. Higher than that and performance begins to degrade. Moving to a 70 & the difference is night & day. It seems to perform best in the 133-137 range. Below this threshold it's very soft but has the sluggish feel of soft 147 loads. Above and the 70 runs out of steam pretty quickly. The 60 is a different beast altogether. It seems like the 80-70-60 jumps are not linear. With lower PF loads the 60 is basically a rimfire. Laughably soft. However ejection is predictably weak. For me the 60 requires PF of @ 143 and above to act right. 

Mine is the SC model. Since February was tinker month, after a lot of playing I settled on PD 115 JHP V2's with 5.2g of N340 and the 60. Makes @ 146PF and does exactly what I want it to. I also played with the buffer a bit but after several different combos wound back up with the stock setup. The stock spring in mine is the black / uncolored which JP list as their 15-85. I tried a 15-90 and although it was slightly better, I had ejection concerns and moved back to the 85. Also just an FYI. The buffer has one weight with a small 45 deg cut on it to take off the edge. Just something to be aware of. 

Now for the quick review. I was on the original wait list and after some deliberation I declined to order one then and decided to stick with my 2 trusty GMR-15's. Reason being the cost vs improvement range. Plus I was shooting open mostly anyway. End result, biggest mistake I've made in a long time. Now 5 number 2 on order and both Open guns in safe. The hype is real. This is as close to cheating as you can get without getting banned from the game. Attempting to explain how they shoot to someone verbally is an exercise in futility. You just have to experience it for yourself to believe it. 

Also for the disclaimer. The test results listed above are mine alone and not intended to cause any micro aggressions. Good day to all. 

-PTR

Thank you for all this information.  Post of the year!