Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP-5 reviews/input

On 4/16/2023 at 7:46 PM, 42ATK said:

Thanks for the info! Do you think it’s worth the price over the MPX?

Tough call.  I'd say both are great platforms.  I'd prefer the JP5 due to ease of maintenance compared to the MPX.  

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/16/2023 at 7:17 PM, Bdh821 said:

My setup is;

Geissele SD3G

BAD 60° ambi safety 

80 locker

JP SCS 308 red buffer spring 

115gr RN @ ~136pf

I don’t have any time behind a blowback to compare with. It shoots very similar to my MPX’ 

Use my Brekke 10.5 and JP 14.5 to compare one weekend

19 minutes ago, OliverLee said:

i was able to remove barrel from upper without any special things to do. just like any other ar.

i thought someone here said its pinned, i guess i read it wrong

When I asked JP if they’d sell just the proprietary system so I could put the parts I liked in myself they said the barrel was pressed in a unique way (also, No I can’t buy just the proprietary parts lol)

So whats the consensus on the jp5 here go with the competition model with the comp on top or the steel challenge with two side comps for uspsa. I see max using the steel challenge and Josh the competition comp? Also planning to change the handguard and fixed stock with smoke if it’s possible.

On 4/16/2023 at 7:46 PM, 42ATK said:

Thanks for the info! Do you think it’s worth the price over the MPX?

Not shot the JP5, but have 2 MPXs, about 60K rounds between the two, Gen2 and PCC model.  My biggest issue with the MPX is Sig and their parts availability.  Your other alternative is ILWT, but now you only have one source for all your critical parts.  My next PCC will be a JP5.  

55 minutes ago, GregJ said:

Not shot the JP5, but have 2 MPXs, about 60K rounds between the two, Gen2 and PCC model.  My biggest issue with the MPX is Sig and their parts availability.  Your other alternative is ILWT, but now you only have one source for all your critical parts.  My next PCC will be a JP5.  

I think my next / primary PCC will be a JP5 - just waiting to justify the cost because I am happy enough with the one I built so far

On 4/29/2023 at 11:45 PM, EMIX said:

So whats the consensus on the jp5 here go with the competition model with the comp on top or the steel challenge with two side comps for uspsa. I see max using the steel challenge and Josh the competition comp? Also planning to change the handguard and fixed stock with smoke if it’s possible.

I prefer the 3 port. I've tested both with a pretty extensive amount of bullet weights and lock pieces and in general, the 3 port works better for me. 

1 hour ago, Acespeedy said:

Anyone know if there is a factory JP5 flat faced trigger available to swap out the factory curved.

I think trigger takes any AR15 trigger but I do recall a flat face option 

1 hour ago, Acespeedy said:

Anyone know if there is a factory JP5 flat faced trigger available to swap out the factory curved.

I put in a SD3G trigger.  Works great! 

2 hours ago, telligentgunner said:

Are you going to post video from Dragon's Cup 3.0?

I havent edited or done anything with my video yet.  I know I placed well, but damn I had some big mess ups.  7 shots to knock down a piece of steel.  It's embarrassing....

6 hours ago, Acespeedy said:

You have to have the modular trigger to swap faces (built with the custom builder). The one that comes with the stock competition and steel challenge models are not the modular variant.

9 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

I prefer the 3 port. I've tested both with a pretty extensive amount of bullet weights and lock pieces and in general, the 3 port works better for me. 

Well technically they are 3 port..just ones vertical and ones sideways.

You mean the steel challenge comp, correct?

4 hours ago, Jerome Poiret said:

May I ask you what red dots are on the left gun ?
And what mounts are you using on both guns ? Especially the 45° ones.
Thank you.

It has SROs.  I dont know the mounts.  I'll try and find out

11 hours ago, mrvip27 said:

They do not stake the castle nut? Understand this is a competition gun but still.

I don't think they're staked.  I have no doubt they have loctite on it since everything threaded so far seems to be glued 

12 hours ago, mrvip27 said:

They do not stake the castle nut? Understand this is a competition gun but still.

If its important to you, its easy to do. Far from necessary on a PCC. I prefer they not be staked.  Not that its hard to remove when necessary, but its ugly. I generally locktite mine and have yet to have one loosen up.

At any rate, mine came staked from JP.

IMG_6105.thumb.jpeg.a9560e1f30a1391c20b375bb0538e020.jpeg

Edited by mpeltier
1 hour ago, mpeltier said:

If its important to you, its easy to do. Far from necessary on a PCC. I prefer they not be staked.  Not that its hard to remove when necessary, but its ugly. I generally locktite mine and have yet to have one loosen up.

At any rate, mine came staked from JP.

IMG_6105.thumb.jpeg.a9560e1f30a1391c20b375bb0538e020.jpeg

Same here,

After 30 years of shooting AR's, I have never had one come loose.

None have been staked.