Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP-5 reviews/input

On 1/13/2023 at 9:15 PM, k2pichu said:

For those who got the smoke composites carbon fiber handguard for their jp5, did you get the ar15 version or the pcc version? Also do you need any special tools to install a handguard on the jp5?

The PCC version.  The 12" is close to the factory hand guard length.  The Smoke took 8+ oz. off the Competition version.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, cferree said:

The PCC version.  The 12" is close to the factory hand guard length.  The Smoke took 8+ oz. off the Competition version.

Thanks, how do you get 8oz? The smoke composites is 4 oz and the handguard (https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPHG3-1M-RC) says its only 7 oz for the tube? The barrel nut is 5.6 oz, but I assume you still need that to keep the other handguard on, or does smoke composites come with it's own barrel nut? 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Last week finally i recieved my JP5 here in the Netherlands ( Europe ) Did some testing with it and have a question hopefully someone can help me out. 

I use it for IPSC so a minimum powerfactor of 125 is required.

I tested with VVN320 powder and 124 and 115 FMJ RN bullets.

The 124 with a 4.0 gr load did 128 PF

The 115 with a 4.3 gr load did 130 PF

Using the 70 locking piece Dot movement with the 124 and 115 is about the same, but the 115 with the 4.3 load feels a bit snappier and faster. So for now i am gonna settle with that. 

So far i am very happy with the gun, till 15 yards superfast splits are possible with te bulletsholes almost touching. So that is a big pro compared to my GMR15.  But at 30+ yards the dot movement is still a litte more than my liking. Hopefully i can finetune that. 

I could be totaly wrong. But in my thoughts, When the gun fires the bolt pushes the rollers to a locked postition, till the spring tension on the other side takes over and unlocks them.  So with a lighter spring the longer the bolt stays longer locked and there is less energy left to cycle the gun. 

I have read that Max uses the 70 locking piece and the heaviest SCS spring with a 115 gr bullet and a lighter spring with heavier bullets, What i still dont understand, what"s the idea behind that. Can someone please explain this to me.

Regards Reinier

I shot mine a good bit yesterday with my 147 grain pistol load along with 115 and 124 grain factory loads.  My 147s were the softest by a lot.  The dot wiggles, but stays in the plus zero zone of an IDPA target.  I',m going to try some 124s with N320 to see how they compare. Love the gun.  By far the funnest gun in my safe.

3 hours ago, reinier.w said:

Hi, Last week finally i recieved my JP5 here in the Netherlands ( Europe ) Did some testing with it and have a question hopefully someone can help me out. 

Using the 70 locking piece Dot movement with the 124 and 115 is about the same, but the 115 with the 4.3 load feels a bit snappier and faster. So for now i am gonna settle with that. 

So far i am very happy with the gun, till 15 yards superfast splits are possible with te bulletsholes almost touching. So that is a big pro compared to my GMR15.  But at 30+ yards the dot movement is still a litte more than my liking. Hopefully i can finetune that. 

I could be totaly wrong. But in my thoughts, When the gun fires the bolt pushes the rollers to a locked postition, till the spring tension on the other side takes over and unlocks them.  So with a lighter spring the longer the bolt stays longer locked and there is less energy left to cycle the gun. 

I have read that Max uses the 70 locking piece and the heaviest SCS spring with a 115 gr bullet and a lighter spring with heavier bullets, What i still dont understand, what"s the idea behind that. Can someone please explain this to me.

Regards Reinier

Tried that combo Max uses and hated it. the fun super jumpy. 

But he also splits faster than I do. He probably likes the faster cycle speed.

Its all personal preference. I do agree though less spring force seems to work well for me. 

Edited by Z-Chaos-Factor
On 2/12/2023 at 4:49 PM, reinier.w said:

Regards Reinier

Hope someone can give info on this Reinier!!! Very interesting.

Well, I chronograph'd my 147 grain load today out of the JP5.  147 grain Zero JHP over 3.5 grains of N320 to 1.125".   These averaged 930fps out of my Atlas pistol.  Today they were 910 out of my GGI P320 and barely made 800fps out of the JP5.  Based on that experience, I don't think I will be able to have a "one size fits all" load using N320.  I checked my duty rounds which are Speer Gold  Dots 124 +P.  They made 1375fps out of the JP5.

Appears I will be buying some Blazer Brass 115s for the carbine.

1 hour ago, AlienZ said:

Anyone shooting the Eley Competition PCC ammo (115gr or 124gr) with their JP5?

There are some posts back about Eley.

2 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

Well, I chronograph'd my 147 grain load today out of the JP5.  147 grain Zero JHP over 3.5 grains of N320 to 1.125".   These averaged 930fps out of my Atlas pistol.  Today they were 910 out of my GGI P320 and barely made 800fps out of the JP5.  Based on that experience, I don't think I will be able to have a "one size fits all" load using N320.  I checked my duty rounds which are Speer Gold  Dots 124 +P.  They made 1375fps out of the JP5.

I hear the JP5 barrel is sllooow.

37 minutes ago, mrvip27 said:

I hear the JP5 barrel is sllooow.

I remember reading similar about the MP5.  I wonder if the fluted chamber has anything to do with lower velocity or if it's just a artifact of the roller locking design.

Nolan

I don't think the barrels are slow, or it would have dropped the Gold Dot round's velocity too.  I think the fast burning powders that we love in pistols burn too quickly in a 14.5" barrel and the friction of the barrel starts to slow the projectile.  Which is why the universal powders that ammo companies use keep burning and increase velocity.  

Just my thoughts

4 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

I don't think the barrels are slow, or it would have dropped the Gold Dot round's velocity too.  I think the fast burning powders that we love in pistols burn too quickly in a 14.5" barrel and the friction of the barrel starts to slow the projectile.  Which is why the universal powders that ammo companies use keep burning and increase velocity.  

Just my thoughts

Try some coated bullets, see what they do with the same load. Coated generally run faster jacketed (a bit cheaper, too!).

For me, I'd rather keep the charge the same and play with the bullet to see where I can get to.

10 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Try some coated bullets, see what they do with the same load. Coated generally run faster jacketed (a bit cheaper, too!).

For me, I'd rather keep the charge the same and play with the bullet to see where I can get to.

Coated have proven to be a PITA with  my bullet feeder.  I ordered a case of Blazer Brass 124s last night for .28 cents a round delivered.  I can live with that since CO will continue to be my primary sport.

1 hour ago, RangerTrace said:

Coated have proven to be a PITA with  my bullet feeder.  I ordered a case of Blazer Brass 124s last night for .28 cents a round delivered.  I can live with that since CO will continue to be my primary sport.

Coated also become a PITA with comps. 124's will be solid. If you find yourself wanting to tune dot movement a 70 degree lock piece might worth a test. 

17 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

Don't do that.  CCI recommends against using Blazer Brass in comps.  The 'plating' is so thin it is actually a copper wash.  It will end up leading the comp.  Interestingly, the plating on Blazer Aluminum cased ammo is thicker and can be used through a comp without issue.  However, they warn against using Al cased ammo in a PCC.

15 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

Just my thoughts

I have chronographed my 115gr PD JHP load in my GMR15 and JP5. The GMR is 5 PF more than the JP5. Same with the 124gr load.

3 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

Coated also become a PITA with comps. 124's will be solid. If you find yourself wanting to tune dot movement a 70 degree lock piece might worth a test. 

Just ordered the 70 degree lock piece.   It's crazy how much led buildup there already is on the comp.  I've only shot maybe 500 rounds through the gun.....

38 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

Just ordered the 70 degree lock piece.   It's crazy how much led buildup there already is on the comp.  I've only shot maybe 500 rounds through the gun.....

Yeah. Ask me about coated with Titegroup haha. Soaking to clean just got too involved. 

I switched to Sport Pistol for PCC and that made a world of difference. Running either jacketed or sealed base loads also keeps cleaning down. 

30 minutes ago, Darqusoull13 said:

Yeah. Ask me about coated with Titegroup haha. Soaking to clean just got too involved. 

I switched to Sport Pistol for PCC and that made a world of difference. Running either jacketed or sealed base loads also keeps cleaning down. 

Read a thread on here where guys bead blast the comp once a year.  I've got a place close to me who would let me barrow their's.  Sounds easier than a dremmel.  

18 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

Just my thoughts

I would agree with this. I just tested several loads to see if I could get one load to work in both pistol and PCC. I found that the faster powders like Bullseye and Tightgroup gave almost the same velocities in both, especially light loads. Slower powders like in the range of Power Pistol, HS6 and 3N37 gave higher velocities out of the JP5, enough to make the PF difference comfortably. I noticed this same difference with S&B ammo over Blazer Brass, the S&B has always been noticeably hotter and it gave the higher velocity out of the PCC where BB gave about the same from both.

Now I have to figure out which is junking up my comp. Time before when I cleaned it I had to pretty much chip the fouling out and last match with my BE loads it pretty much brushed out. Unless it's lead from BB which I did shoot a bunch of earlier, didn't seem like lead, meaning it didn't scrape away, mostly chipped away. 

On 2/19/2023 at 10:23 PM, RangerTrace said:

Just my thoughts

FWIW, N320 runs better in my 10" barrel (plus comp) while N350 runs better in the 14.5" barrel  (plus comp).  Slower powder seems to work better with longer barrels

YMMV..