Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 4.25" vs 5" for CO

Stafford

For CO, I wouldn't think there's too much of an advantage either way. Generally, I see a couple of common things in the 4.25" vs 5.0" discussion:

Velocity: the extra .75" can get you a slight bump in velocity. If you have a reliable load that makes power factor, then I don't see much of real advantage. 

Sight radius: not very relevant for CO since the sight mounting locations is on the same part of the slide and you're using the dot.

The other thing that I can't really make a fair comparison for (I've only run a 5" for a couple of matches)

Weight/Balance: obviously the 5" is a couple of ounces heavier. Additional weight seems to be in vogue, but keep in mind that the slide isn't dead weight.

Hopefully someone who shoots both slides more often can share their thoughts on the weight/balance comparison.

To add a bit of context: I've been shooting a 4.25" in Production and will be switching to carry optics after November. I have a couple of Performance Center Slides that I picked up. They're both 4.25".

If you happen to have one (regardless of length) then I would say stick with it and get a backup of the same.

Edited by Rez805

5" really only adds benefit with irons as you have the increased sight radius.  With a RDS there is little benefit.  Now in open the extra barrell length would add vel for 9mm major as with a aftermarket threaded barrel for a add on comp your at 6" so less peak pressure to make major equals longer life.  But in CO minor only not so much.

Edited by tim_w

@Stafford here's my recommendations

1. Figure out which out of all your pistols gives you the easiest, most natural index out of the holster.

2. Sell all the rest of them

3. Get a second one for carry, exactly like the one you kept for matches.  If it's too large to conceal, get a mid sized version. 

4. Get the gun running reliably, tune it to where it's GOOD ENOUGH and leave it alone

5. Spend all the rest of the money on ammo or components and a hammer

6. Spend your practice time wisely and take one or two classes from an M or GM who knows how to teach

7. Next time you feel the need to tinker with the gun, hit yourself in the nutsack with the hammer

8. Next time you feel the need to switch guns, hit yourself twice in the nutsack with the hammer

It's the easiest way out of C class

Last season I shot a Shadow 2 (with optics) and out of curiosity did a couple of matches with an M&P 2.0 compact (with optics). I was so happy shooting the M&P platform that mid-season I started competing with my M&P 2.0 5", and then got a CORE model. With Apex triggers, I enjoy shooting the M&P more than the Shadow 2 (no double action first shot, better fit to my hand, faster transitions, and very decent recovery between shots). I tried shooting a 4.25" CORE too, but found the difference in weight up front and resulting performance enough to justify investing in the 5" one, although both are great guns, at least for me.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, George16 said:

One more and you’ll have 50 posts. Whatcha selling 😝?

For the 4.25" I bought an Apex 5" semi fit threaded barrel and did the fitting myself (not a gunsmith, but did a great job).

When/if you find out the "optic" isn't such a big deal then the 5 inch gives you the sight radius. (may be more attractive to some if you throw it on the table for resale).

... AND ...

If you are into tungsten guide rods then you can put a "longer/heavier" one in the 5 inch!! 😶

Just now, pete627 said:

When/if you find out the "optic" isn't such a big deal then the 5 inch gives you the sight radius. (may be more attractive to some if you throw it on the table for resale).

... AND ...

If you are into tungsten guide rods then you can put a "longer/heavier" one in the 5 inch!! 😶

Tungsten for the win!  At least a better shot at it. 

• 3 weeks later...