Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got my first 100%

Mcfoto

Took my RO re-cert last night. First time I aced it. Took just over two hours which is half of the first time. Man, you really need to READ EVERY WORD. Had a question that I had answered and got the rule, then saw the comma and five more words that completely changed the answer. Whew. Done until next year.

1 hour ago, PatJones said:

Looking at the topic, I thought you were talking about classifiers.

Ha! That was part of the pun. Even more fun if someone thought it was a stage win... closest I’ll get to either of those...

The speed at which a ruling can be determined is important. If you are trying to make a call at a match as an RO you usually only have a few minutes to reference the rules in order to make a ruling call. You won't have the luxury to take hours during the match to find what you are looking for. The biggest challenge I see newer RO's have is actually finding the applicable rules within the rule book quickly. The more you study the structure of the rule book and know where specific rule scenarios are clumped together the faster you can find them.

I prefer using a printed rule book myself as I can usually scan through sections and jump around within the content much faster than trying to do it on a digital format.

I was talking about this earlier today with some other guys. I think the RO class (and test) is too focused on find and answer question with specific rule numbers.

The RO class (and tests) should be 90% what it the score and is this a penalty or DQ type questions with 10% what section would I find the answer to this question (not section rule sub rule and line item) RO class should be all how to run and score shooters. During a match you make your call if your correct nobody cares about if you can instantly find rule x.3.5.x.4, At major matches even less as the RO you make your call if you are in doubt you check with your CRO, if you have to start digging into the rule book you just call the RM and let him deal with it and go back to running shooters.

23 hours ago, waktasz said:

TWO HOURS??!?!? You may have gotten all the points but your hit factor was garbage. 

If it takes me more than 15 minutes I'm disappointed. 

I think most take longer because the format of the test doesn't emphasize getting the answer correct any more than it does getting the rules citation in the format they want. like you can instantly answer the question is this legal or not but then you have to cite the exact rule they are looking for in the correct way, like they may want rule 4.x but you get more specific and cite rules 4.x.1, 4.x.2 so you get it wrong. 

On 4/16/2021 at 10:53 AM, MikeBurgess said:

I was talking about this earlier today with some other guys. I think the RO class (and test) is too focused on find and answer question with specific rule numbers.

The RO class (and tests) should be 90% what it the score and is this a penalty or DQ type questions with 10% what section would I find the answer to this question (not section rule sub rule and line item) RO class should be all how to run and score shooters. During a match you make your call if your correct nobody cares about if you can instantly find rule x.3.5.x.4, At major matches even less as the RO you make your call if you are in doubt you check with your CRO, if you have to start digging into the rule book you just call the RM and let him deal with it and go back to running shooters.

100% agree and this is exactly why I have taken the class twice now and not done the test. If NROI wasnt it in some stupid format that's fine with me. I just wont become an RO. The class both times was hours of this rule says this but that rule says this, you can stack if a, b, and c line up with the sun at 12noon but not if x, y and z aren't broken first. Then a couple hours on the range with people who seem to forget everything they ever did or have seen at a match and all of a sudden have stupid questions that waste more time. Very little time was used to tell me how to follow a shooter, watch the gun, shooter and target at the same time. Where to place myself if shooter is move so I can see if they are breaking the 180, have their finger on the trigger, ect... THAT is the stuff I dont want to learn while jimbo who has no clue how to run around with a loaded gun is the up shooter. In fact just last weekend the ENTIRE squad watched a gun break the 180 but I couldn't see it. I was following behind because there was a wall so I couldn't get out at an angle to watch the gun and shooter. Would have loved if the class gave me an idea on how to break down a stage so I could see what I need to see to keep everyone safe. So until NROI fixes this I'll stay a shooter and that's it. I'll help set up/tear down, paste, shoot and go home.

Much of what you propose the RO class should teach you about actually running shooters through a course of fire, it cannot. Never could. There simply isn't enough time. One weekend of instruction on how to run shooters isn't long enough, in an NROI-certified class or on a home-range. The classes only last 1-1/2 days, and just 1/2 day of that is actual range time. 

The things you speak of are things that hopefully someone has a chance to learn before going to an RO class. That's best done by running shooters at local matches under the watchful eye of a more-seasoned RO. Only then can the new RO learn how to align the planets along the x-z axis and apply jimbo's proper penalties. 

The class teaches someone about where to go in the rulebook to resolve/record an observed issue. To get the most out of the RO class, the student needs to know what and how to observe before they get there. 

3 hours ago, ima45dv8 said:

Much of what you propose the RO class should teach you about actually running shooters through a course of fire, it cannot. Never could. There simply isn't enough time. One weekend of instruction on how to run shooters isn't long enough, in an NROI-certified class or on a home-range. The classes only last 1-1/2 days, and just 1/2 day of that is actual range time. 

The things you speak of are things that hopefully someone has a chance to learn before going to an RO class. That's best done by running shooters at local matches under the watchful eye of a more-seasoned RO. Only then can the new RO learn how to align the planets along the x-z axis and apply jimbo's proper penalties. 

The class teaches someone about where to go in the rulebook to resolve/record an observed issue. To get the most out of the RO class, the student needs to know what and how to observe before they get there. 

This..

4 hours ago, ima45dv8 said:

We have enough certified ROs that we never allow a non-certified one to run the timer, so your idea doesn't really work either. 

On 4/15/2021 at 11:03 AM, waktasz said:

TWO HOURS??!?!? You may have gotten all the points but your hit factor was garbage. 

If it takes me more than 15 minutes I'm disappointed. 

I've been a CRO for 15 years. Know the book inside and out and it still takes me way longer than 15 minutes to take the test.

On 4/14/2021 at 9:49 AM, Mcfoto said:

Took my RO re-cert last night. First time I aced it. Took just over two hours which is half of the first time. Man, you really need to READ EVERY WORD. Had a question that I had answered and got the rule, then saw the comma and five more words that completely changed the answer. Whew. Done until next year.

I think it took me something like 23 minutes to do mine a few weeks ago.  I only scored 98% though.

I wish they'd send me a rule book instead of overlays :(