Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Regret

LmtdOne

I will be the first to say that I have not held or even seen for that matter alot of the big name 2011 guns. I do however own an StI DvC open, a CK Arms open gun and finally a SVI Limited gun build. Not only does the Infinity look alot better but it just has a better feel to the gun. The CK feels just fine, better than the STI, but the Infinity just has this feel like all of the parts were "born" together. The SVI has a different sound upon lockup which is hard to describe. Even if you take the looks of the guns out of the equation, you can just tell a difference when handling the 3 guns.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Well, to start, that gun is built on STI frame with a plastic grip.  So cheap, subpar parts to start with.  And what barrel and other parts is he using?  If they're STI or similar, just more junk.  So I'm not sure how you can even suggest that's comparable to an SV.  If you want a closer comparison, maybe start with that package, then upgrade to a PT frame, aluminum trigger and metal grip.  That'll add close to another grand, which puts you in the same price range as a SV limited gun.  Or, if you don't agree with that, go check some of the other big name companies.  What does a high end Atlas limited gun sell for?  Last I checked, Titans are around $4k and a Nemesis is $6k.  Or how about a Honcho?  The 3-gun/limited model is $5500.  Are those also priced where they are because of cosmetics and bling?

No desire to argue about which parts you prefer, I agree that a lot of folks like the exotic materials and that is fine if that is what you like and are happy to pay for. Actual performance data is always interesting though.

27 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Or how about a Honcho?  The 3-gun/limited model is $5500.  Are those also priced where they are because of cosmetics and bling?

If I have implied that there is something bad about enjoying the things not related to shooting performance (bling, neat sound when you rack the slide, etc) that is my mistake. Otherwise, yea, based upon my priorities (getting alphas) at $5500 it is all about the cool factor. 

A friend of mine studied marketing in college, one of her "lab" exercises was to play with product pricing at a local business, I always thought it was interesting that some items sell more rapidly if you crack up the cost as it drives the concept of quality, it is not just a gun thing. There was a related well known study in the wine business, when blind tested some of the less expensive wines were highly rated, when folks could see what they were drinking their evaluations changed. That is not to say that the bling guns are priced up to make folks want them more, I do not know internal costs, I just find it interesting as a general consumer psychology thing. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

No desire to argue about which parts you prefer, I agree that a lot of folks like the exotic materials and that is fine if that is what you like and are happy to pay for. Actual performance data is always interesting though.

Yes, actual performance data is certainly valid place to compare.  And you can search the pages on this very forum and compare the number and scope of complaints regarding products from STI, SV and various others.  I think even a brief review will reveal who puts out more junk parts and has more product failures/warranty repairs, etc.  And it's not even a close call.

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

If I have implied that there is something bad about enjoying the things not related to shooting performance (bling, neat sound when you rack the slide, etc) that is my mistake. Otherwise, yea, based upon my priorities (getting alphas) at $5500 it is all about the cool factor. 

A friend of mine studied marketing in college, one of her "lab" exercises was to play with product pricing at a local business, I always thought it was interesting that some items sell more rapidly if you crack up the cost as it drives the concept of quality, it is not just a gun thing. There was a related well known study in the wine business, when blind tested some of the less expensive wines were highly rated, when folks could see what they were drinking their evaluations changed. That is not to say that the bling guns are priced up to make folks want them more, I do not know internal costs, I just find it interesting as a general consumer psychology thing. 

Well, some people seem to be arguing along the lines that if a person buys a pair of Chinese made Timberland boots for about $80 and another person buys $300+ US-made Danner boots, they both do the same thing, as in protecting your feet while you walk around the block or something, and the difference in price is just bling and marketing hype.  In fact, the reality is, the difference is due to different material, different manufacturing methods, higher priced labor, and a host of other things.  It also ignores the fact that the Danner boots will probably last 5x as long, will be more comfortable, and look better at the same time.  And if you want to go back to college, maybe you'll recall something from economics called marginal utility.  Some people like nice stuff, and are willing to pay extra for it.  For folks who simply can't see or understand the difference in parts, manufacturing cost, or value, then nothing is going change their minds on this.  And I suppose it really doesn't matter.  It's like if I handed my wife an STI and SV, and asked her to tell me the difference, she'd say they're the same thing.  If I gave both to an experienced gunsmith or machinist, I can guarantee they could explain the differences and why one cost more than the other.  And the answer wouldn't be bling or marketing hype.

51 minutes ago, Gene_WI said:

One aspect that missing from the discussion is after sale support. SVI support of their products is top notch.

Not arguing one way or another. I like good looking guns too. BUT several gun builders stand behind their products as well. 

3 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

I think even a brief review will reveal who puts out more junk parts and has more product failures/warranty repairs, etc.  And it's not even a close call.

STI has had major issues, no doubt about it, I am hoping that fairly recent changes (Dave Dawson coming back for example) will get them back where they used to be. Not sure how warranty repairs would stack up against the good semi customs like Les Baer and Triangle and etc.. SVI has the occasional problem gun like everyone else (they make it right though) and I had a lot of fun tormenting a good friend until they got his SVI worked out. The other thing to consider is number of guns sold versus number of complaints. 

3 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

It also ignores the fact that the Danner boots will probably last 5x as long, will be more comfortable,  

Can't argue with measurable differences in performance. 

I remember something Brian (our host) said long ago. . .

If you buy something you are not satisfied with you'll recall the sale price, to the penny,  until the day you die. If you buy something you're totally satisfied with, you likely won't remember the price.

That has proven true for me.

I don't recall the money I spent for my SV, but I never regretted it.

On 3/29/2021 at 11:04 PM, LmtdOne said:

So my question is this...Does anybody who has paid the high price of an SVI gun regret your buying decision? Do you wish you would have bought a bass boat instead of that open gun? Should you have paid the tax man off instead of buying that limited gun? Let me know what you guys think.

Just out of curiosity...   What were you expecting from your SVI? Did you think the gun alone was going to make you a better and faster shooter? Did you think you were suddenly going to become Max Michel's nemesis? Your shooting club's top USPSA shooter? Able to hit a 6" steel plate at 100 yds with iron sights?  Just what did you think $5,000 was buying for you?

If you have not mastered basic shooting fundamentals, an SVI will do you no more good than a RIA or a Hi-Point. 

Edited by Dranoel

On 4/5/2021 at 10:16 PM, ima45dv8 said:

I remember something Brian (our host) said long ago. . .

If you buy something you are not satisfied with you'll recall the sale price, to the penny,  until the day you die. If you buy something you're totally satisfied with, you likely won't remember the price.

That has proven true for me.

I don't recall the money I spent for my SV, but I never regretted it.

Yup, buy once and cry once. 

1 hour ago, Dranoel said:

Just out of curiosity...   What were you expecting from your SVI? Did you think the gun alone was going to make you a better and faster shooter? Did you think you were suddenly going to become Max Michel's nemesis? Your shooting club's top USPSA shooter? Able to hit a 6" steel plate at 100 yds with iron sights?  Just what did you think $5,000 was buying for you?

If you have not mastered basic shooting fundamentals, an SVI will do you no more good than a RIA or a Hi-Point. 

I appreciate your post but you might re-read what I originally posted. I did not say that I regretted buying an SVI. I simply asked if ANYBODY that has bought an SVI had regret over their buying decision. Now to your question, what do I expect from buying an SVI? I have reasonable expectations myself. I expect trophy girls and all the prizes. 😁

1 hour ago, LmtdOne said:

I appreciate your post but you might re-read what I originally posted. I did not say that I regretted buying an SVI. I simply asked if ANYBODY that has bought an SVI had regret over their buying decision. Now to your question, what do I expect from buying an SVI? I have reasonable expectations myself. I expect trophy girls and all the prizes. 😁

And if an Infinity gun could deliver that, my no-practicing, semi-blind, old, fat, C Class ass would gladly lay down the coin. 

17 hours ago, Dranoel said:

What is the GM's name that works at shooters connection and kicks butt with his RIA? Something like John Veigler? 

Disclaimer, I don't know if he is still shooting one now. On the bright side, I don't know of anyone beating all of the pricey guns with a Hi-Point. 

6 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

What is the GM's name that works at shooters connection and kicks butt with his RIA? Something like John Veigler? 

Disclaimer, I don't know if he is still shooting one now. On the bright side, I don't know of anyone beating all of the pricey guns with a Hi-Point. 

Here you go, these guys are rocking the High Point.

1 hour ago, ltdmstr said:

I'd love to show up at a match with one of those.  And I want a pair of those Vans.

I bet if you contacted Assailant Arms and told them you wanted the gun, but only if it came with the Vans, they'd throw in a pair of Vans with your order...

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, HCH said:

And yet somehow Lane won Limited last year with a glorified Sig 320, Coley was 3rd with a dressed up Glock, and Jonasson was 4th with a Canik shooting MINOR🤣

Being able to own a magnificent gun is a consolation prize for not being on the Super Squad. Nothing wrong with it and nothing virtuous either.

19 hours ago, HCH said:

And yet somehow Lane won Limited last year with a glorified Sig 320, Coley was 3rd with a dressed up Glock, and Jonasson was 4th with a Canik shooting MINOR🤣

Not sure what your point is.  They're all sponsored shooters.  Wanna guess on the odds that any of those guns would be their first choice if they weren't paid to use them?  I'll say zero.