Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Regret

LmtdOne

20 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

Not sure what your point is.  They're all sponsored shooters.  Wanna guess on the odds that any of those guns would be their first choice if they weren't paid to use them?  I'll say zero.

It gets back to Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance I think. For some there is beauty in function at a modest investment, for others there is beauty in all of the high level craftsmanship. Viva la difference. 

In my job (engineer) the solutions I was the most proud of were those that came at a low cost, that translates into a mindset that has the most admiration for something like a cz tactical sport, for example.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

It gets back to Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance I think. For some there is beauty in function at a modest investment, for others there is beauty in all of the high level craftsmanship. Viva la difference. 

In my job (engineer) the solutions I was the most proud of were those that came at a low cost, that translates into a mindset that has the most admiration for something like a cz tactical sport, for example.

Well, that may be true for a lot of things.  But I'm not sure how you can look at a Glock or a Sig vs. a nice 2011 and be impressed with either of the former.  I guess maybe from the standpoint that they're functional, reliable and cheap to manufacture.  And for a mass produced duty gun, they certainly fit the bill.  But if you're looking at the material, design, construction, and performance, the 1911/2011 is hands down the winner.  It's kinda like a Mazda Miata is a fine little car, and very nicely done from an engineering standpoint.  But it's not 911.

I think some may be caught up in a Paradigm dilemma.  I could never bring my self to buy a $9000 Gibson Guitar, my mind draws an imaginary line at $1000, which let me buy a fantastic Martin Acoustic, but then again I have 8 Guitars.  If asked why don't you buy that Gibson, I'd say cause I don't play as well as Eric Clapton. Guns are a lot like Guitars they can appear identical but one will have that unique special sound that you want, that feel in your hand that makes you want to play it all day.  I'm guessing that is why when I shoot limited my STI Edge (Dawson HPF HardChromed circa 2005-7) gets a day out of the safe and the SVI dual caliber replaceable breach face gets to stay on the shelf.  Make no mistake I had 3 prior Edge's before I bought the Dawson HPF, the SVI came later, they all looked the same but nope the HPF Edge has that something special going on.  That said its Friday, classic rock time, you know Smoke on the Water, Can't get No Satisfaction, Sultans of Swing, all other days are country Broken Halos.  The punch line you will never know if it is the one till you pick it up and play it a while.

Edited by CocoBolo

36 minutes ago, CocoBolo said:

I think some may be caught up in a Paradigm dilemma.  I could never bring my self to buy a $9000 Gibson Guitar, my mind draws an imaginary line at $1000, which let me buy a fantastic Martin Acoustic, but then again I have 8 Guitars.  If asked why don't you buy that Gibson, I'd say cause I don't play as well as Eric Clapton. Guns are a lot like Guitars they can appear identical but one will have that unique special sound that you want, that feel in your hand that makes you want to play it all day.  I'm guessing that is why when I shoot limited my STI Edge (Dawson HPF HardChromed circa 2005-7) gets a day out of the safe and the SVI dual caliber replaceable breach face gets to stay on the shelf.  Make no mistake I had 3 prior Edge's before I bought the Dawson HPF, the SVI came later, they all looked the same but nope the HPF Edge has that something special going on.  That said its Friday, classic rock time, you know Smoke on the Water, Can't get No Satisfaction, Sultans of Swing, all other days are country Broken Halos.  The punch line you will never know if it is the one till you pick it up and play it a while.

👍

It's like buying a Stradivarius. Some will take advantage of it and some will hang it on the wall. In the end it is not the arrow that gives the victory

3 hours ago, CocoBolo said:

I was going to use this example but you beat me to it.  As a younger man I had almost un-limited time but no money to do the things I wanted.  Now, as a seasoned adult I have less financial limitations but zero time to enjoy the things I want.  My whole life I played Mexican made Stratocasters because I couldn't afford the Les Paul I wanted.  Well, I went ahead and bought a Gibson Les Paul 1957 Gold Top Custom Shop Historic Reissue and have never regretted it.  I don't make my living playing anymore so it's hard to justify the expense. But, the feel in your hands and performance is unmatched.  You only live once.  Buy quality guns, cars, and guitars.

44 minutes ago, LordManHammer said:

But, the feel in your hands and performance is unmatched.  You only live once.  Buy quality guns, cars, and guitars.

I agree. "Quality" is a personal thing though and another piece is that some enjoy conspicuous consumption while others either shy from it or just don't care about it. From a pure quality standpoint, for me, you can't beat a CZ TS or TSO (depending which fits your hand). 

The one time I got to go to Germany it was a work thing, the lead dog from my company sat next to the lead dog from the vendors company and during a break in discussions they compared and admired each other's Rolex watch. I meanwhile looked at my $15.00 timex electronic that I had never needed to adjust time on (except daylight savings) and smiled to myself. Just different value systems, no worries. 

12 minutes ago, yigal said:

There is a saying in my country. Why does a cat lick  his balls?

Because he can.

If there is a possibility why not.😉

Even if I could, I'm not licking balls. Not even my own. If I can get through life without ever having balls anywhere near my mouth, I'll consider it a victory.

23 minutes ago, robertg5322 said:

Even if I could, I'm not licking balls. Not even my own. If I can get through life without ever having balls anywhere near my mouth, I'll consider it a victory.

The intention was, that if there is a possibility to buy something good then why not.

When it comes to licking  or not licking  balls . I do not interfere in the personal life of others.😀

Exactly. But some people feel the need to lecture others about their choices, like why shoot an SV instead of a Glock, CZ, etc.?  Or play a Custom Shop Les Paul vs. a Studio, or Rolex v. Timex, or whatever.  OP inquired about whether anyone who bought an SV and regretted it.  So far, no one has posted that.  But some feel the need to criticize other people's choices and comment on how Glocks, CZs, etc. are just fine for what we do.  I'm not sure how that's relevant to the discussion.  And as far as that argument goes, anyone who's at the top of their profession is going to use the best tools available to them unless their either prohibited from doing so or are paid not to do so.  And it's the same for what we do.  If your honest opinion is that a Glock, Sig or similar guns is the best tool for what we do, you're certainly entitled to that opinion.  But, the vast majority of experienced participants will definitely disagree with you.  And that's clearly demonstrated by the results of the equipment surveys USPSA does every year.

Edited by ltdmstr

14 minutes ago, yigal said:

The intention was, that if there is a possibility to buy something good then why not.

When it comes to licking  or not licking  balls . I do not interfere in the personal life of others.😀

My post applies to me and me only. 

What you or anyone else chooses to do in the privacy of your own home is none of my business, provided nobody else's rights are infringed upon.

That said, I'd like to reiterate, I'm not licking my balls if I suddenly develop the ability to...

In case it's not obvious, this is all tongue-in-cheek humor from me. 

17 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Not sure what your point is.  They're all sponsored shooters.  Wanna guess on the odds that any of those guns would be their first choice if they weren't paid to use them?  I'll say zero.

Good shooters, are good shooters with any gun. 

None of those gun options are bad. There's no mysticism involved in who wins/does well with what gun. 

it’s not the gun. It’s not the gun. It’s not the gun. 

it’s not the gun 

lol, I was shocked it wasn't the first response! I have two SV's, an open gun and a Single Stack and I'll likely order more. I've been to the factory and seen how they are made and I do not believe any other gun manufacturer can compare. Everything but the optic is made in Texas out of either Steel, Aluminum, or Titanium billet and is machined in house, even the screws and mag springs. There is SO MUCH detail in each and every part, and the workmanship is what sets them apart from everyone else. Also, they are not gunsmiths, they are a manufacturer so comparing gunsmiths to them isn't apples to apples as they have to buy other companies frames, slides, parts, etc. 

1 hour ago, Bird_Dog0347 said:

lol, I was shocked it wasn't the first response! I have two SV's, an open gun and a Single Stack and I'll likely order more. I've been to the factory and seen how they are made and I do not believe any other gun manufacturer can compare. Everything but the optic is made in Texas out of either Steel, Aluminum, or Titanium billet and is machined in house, even the screws and mag springs. There is SO MUCH detail in each and every part, and the workmanship is what sets them apart from everyone else. Also, they are not gunsmiths, they are a manufacturer so comparing gunsmiths to them isn't apples to apples as they have to buy other companies frames, slides, parts, etc. 

Yeah, took 4 pages for him to show up. Disappointing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2021 at 2:31 PM, Bird_Dog0347 said:

I just ordered my first one and the wait is going to kill me.  I pulled the trigger for all the same reasons you mentioned, just wish I would have picked up the phone and called sooner.  Brandon is the most knowledgeable person I've ever talked to ever when calling a company and discussing their product.  He also dispelled a lot of rumors as the gun I ordered cost nowhere near what I had assumed it would based on what I heard and the lead time was only quoted at 6-8 months.

I had also had similar thoughts to the earlier poster that said they look too "blingy".  Well the nice thing about a true custom build is if you don't want bling, you don't have to get bling.  My gun will be all black with traditional front and rear serrations.

I think building all of the open guns and warrantying them and standing behind them for years has really put them in a unique place in the market.  They are the only ones I'm aware of actually going to the next level with the materials they use (like 4340 in place of 4140, breech blocks that can be replaced due to wear from primer flow) vs being just another "me too" maker.

33 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

Mine's about as plain as you can get.

IMG_0612 copy.jpg

That’s pretty much what I would order. I’d probably go full dust cover and maybe a wider serration pattern, but that would definitely fit the bill. I ended up purchasing a used older SVI that is very similar. 

I kind of wish I hadn't got out of .45 last year since the ammo prices were so good.  I was never drawn to .45 in the 2011 pattern since the STI and SVI mags both are only 11 or 13 capacity (126/124 and 140 respectively) and now I see the MBX mags are 16 and 18 (126 and 140).  If I still had the thousands of .45 ammo I sold I definitely would have ordered a caliber conversion too.  I had given up on finding an all steel doublestack .45 with decent capacity.

Edited by FALAR

"The one time I got to go to Germany it was a work thing, the lead dog from my company sat next to the lead dog from the vendors company and during a break in discussions they compared and admired each other's Rolex watch. I meanwhile looked at my $15.00 timex electronic that I had never needed to adjust time on (except daylight savings) and smiled to myself. Just different value systems, no worries."

Please tell me you're just trolling.