Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Regret

LmtdOne

So my question is this...Does anybody who has paid the high price of an SVI gun regret your buying decision? Do you wish you would have bought a bass boat instead of that open gun? Should you have paid the tax man off instead of buying that limited gun? Let me know what you guys think.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't own an SVI or any other high ended USPSA oriented pistol, so take this for what it is worth.  I have too many varied interest so dumping 5000+ in a pistol is just not what i would do as I am a hobbyist in USPSA and will likely never put in the effort to get out of A/B  class, regardless of the gun in my hand.  So I personally would regret tying up a bunch of cash in a gun that would be hard to sell when i decide i wanted to shoot something different for a while and couldn't stand having a pistol worth several thousand dollars collecting dust.  But if USPSA was my only hobby, and i was going to dump a bunch of money in a pistol, it would be an SVI.   It is all about priorities and what you like to do

My only regret is not having enough primers to shoot it more. I stocked up on everything else. I thought I stocked up on primers but not enough I guess. Love my expensive guns though. Had no regrets about buying a 21 ft Triton either. $40K of great fun. 

Why does everyone have a comment about what others do. I get a new F150 4x4 every two years. Is that dumb. Not for me and I don't care what anyone thinks about it. This stuff envy needs to stop.

Edited by Brooke

If you regret it you can sell as easy as you bought it, and somebody won't have to be on a wait list. That's how I got mine and never looked back just enjoy every time I shoot it

When people go on vacation for 5K or 6K it's normal, when you spend it on a gun you are nuts.
Difference is, I still enjoy my SVI 3, 4 or 5 times a week. For the amount of time I spend with my gun it's a steal.

I have it for about 5 years and have shot over 100K rounds with it without issue. Compared to ammo costs the gun is almost free :P

So far it looks like a mixed crowd. One thing that I am worried about with pistols this expensive is that I love that new"thing", and then when it wears off I want a different one. Like someone said above, I guess I can always sell an infinity fairly easily.

22 hours ago, LmtdOne said:

So far it looks like a mixed crowd. One thing that I am worried about with pistols this expensive is that I love that new"thing", and then when it wears off I want a different one. Like someone said above, I guess I can always sell an infinity fairly easily.

My experience with SV pistols is that you can shoot them for 2-3 years and sell them on here for 80% of that you paid in a day or two.  I've not experienced that with any other brand.

Price isn't really that steep considering what other custom or semi-custom competition guns cost.  Also, just for context, lots of people buy custom bolt action rifles that are in the $10k range with a high end optic.  So, yeah, It's not exactly a cheap hobby.  But it's not like having a race car or cigarette boat.

Relatively speaking, I agree USPSA is fairly cheap vs. other mechanical hobbies (cars / boats) and even as others have mentioned, other types of shooting sports (precision rifle)

I'd also argue that given the lifespan of a custom gun is at least 75k rounds, it will have cost at least $10k+ in ammo over that time period. For me shooting 9mm single stack, I'm sure my SVI will probably last up to 100k. So $15k+ in ammo cost over a time period means having a $7k gun vs. $1.5k only increases the cost by 33% in the long run

Finally, I don't know if the gun itself really makes me much of a better shooter on its own, but I do realize I'm more likely to want to fondle and dry-fire it often, which actually is contributing more to me becoming a better shooter

Edited by whan

I paid the high price for a 1.5" 50 yard guarantee Les Baer. Never liked bling so an SVI was out of the question at double the cost.

As a Uspa/idpa shooter I could never do even a smidgen better with hoity toity than I could with a working man's gun so I sold it. 

The book "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance" comes to mind when Svi is mentioned. A good explanation of how people have different value systems, not right and wrong, just different.

Have you priced offshore fishing boats lately? If you can afford what ever sport/hobby you like then it doesn't matter.  I have 2 custom open guns 

and don't regret the cost one bit.  Only regret is I don't shoot as much as I would like.

Okay it sounds like alot of you guys think like I do. There are alot more expensive hobbies out there so a few trophy guns never hurt anybody. I guess I should just consider myself lucky that I I am not into racing cars or cruising the ocean!

Most every Saturday morning, a guy flies over the range in his Czech L-39. Fuel to fly for one hour costs roughly $400. The plane costs anywhere between $100,000 and $500,000 depending on condition, etc. Hangar rent probably costs between 1-3K per month. Finance and insurance, no clue. Yeah, there are more expensive ways to turn cash into noise.

My employer decided to take away vacation, and replace it with PTO(paid time off), instead of taking our earned vacation for the year, and filling up the PTO bank which is earned monthly, my Airline cut me a check for 5 weeks pay, my SVI 9/40 sight tracker was basically free, so for me the buy was totally worth it. 

57 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

I’ve never regretted buying anything that I really wanted.  I only regretted settling for less because I was always wondering what if I had bought that gun instead 

I can relate to this. I oftentimes gravitate to nicer products but I have at times gone with a cheaper option and been massively disappointed. Ibguess what they say is true; "You get what you pay for".