Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Regret

LmtdOne

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, LmtdOne said:

Those seem to be a bit of a rarity. Cool guns though. How do you like yours?

They are amazing. Fit, finish, and accuracy of ANY custom gun I have owned. Very soft shooting too. 

15 minutes ago, Posvar said:

They are amazing. Fit, finish, and accuracy of ANY custom gun I have owned. Very soft shooting too. 

Nice. I have never seen one in person, only the internet. So as far as USPSA classes, it is a Production gun, correct?

3 minutes ago, LmtdOne said:

Nice. I have never seen one in person, only the internet. So as far as USPSA classes, it is a Production gun, correct?

Yes. Production, Carry Optics, Limited Minor, etc. They are also making a .40 Limited Major gun too. 

58 minutes ago, Posvar said:
38 minutes ago, Posvar said:

Yes. Production, Carry Optics, Limited Minor, etc. They are also making a .40 Limited Major gun too. 

When the limited major gun comes around I might have to check it out 😀

1 minute ago, LmtdOne said:

It's on the website to check out. They are sourcing .40 barrels but Stuart told me it should happen this year. It is a beauty with hard chrome and all the works.

2 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

Not sure what the CZ discussion has to do with OP's question.  Or 1911-style pistols for that matter.

Ok. Good point. Admin can delete as needed. We can take to PM if @LmtdOnehas any more questions. Onwards and upwards!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting to regret Open Division in general.  I'm a relatively new participant in USPSA this being my 3rd season.  I started shooting Limited minor with an old Sig P226 and quickly fell in love with the sport.  I graduated to an STI DVC Limited within the first 4 months.  The more I traveled to matches the more people I saw shooting Open guns and it looked like awesome fun.  I had to have one.  2021 is my first season shooting Open.  Now I spend an inordinate amount of time tinkering with equipment trying to get it to run consistently.  I'm certainly no gunsmith and my rural, isolated location limits my access to experienced people who might be able to help diagnose and correct my malfunction issues.  YouTube is my only resource LOL.  I'm not ready to give up but, frustration is building.

15 minutes ago, LordManHammer said:

I'm starting to regret Open Division in general.  I'm a relatively new participant in USPSA this being my 3rd season.  I started shooting Limited minor with an old Sig P226 and quickly fell in love with the sport.  I graduated to an STI DVC Limited within the first 4 months.  The more I traveled to matches the more people I saw shooting Open guns and it looked like awesome fun.  I had to have one.  2021 is my first season shooting Open.  Now I spend an inordinate amount of time tinkering with equipment trying to get it to run consistently.  I'm certainly no gunsmith and my rural, isolated location limits my access to experienced people who might be able to help diagnose and correct my malfunction issues.  YouTube is my only resource LOL.  I'm not ready to give up but, frustration is building.

I have found nearly all my issues have always been ammo related. What is going on? Can we try and help? 

Just now, LordManHammer said:

I don't want to hijack the thread.  I'll make original post with details later tonight. Thanks for offering to help.

Ok, looking forward to it! 

On 6/24/2021 at 3:41 AM, LordManHammer said:

Thanks you for this.  I am almost in the exact same boat.  I haven't been in any official competitions yet just shooting at our small club/range on a small island in the pacific ocean, about as rural and limited access to any gun stuff as you can get.  I do love to travel and would like to make competition shooting a part of my travel plans.   

I have a a pair of CZ P-09's that I plan to shoot in carry optics, and there a guy in our club that has an STI 2011 that shoots amazingly flat..  it's almost like he's cheating..  lol.. we don't separate our group in "classes" we just shoot together and for fun basically.  We do keep track of times and have a point system and run a short series..   I'm currently in the 2nd with my Carry optics CZ's behind my fried  with the flat shooting STI and 1st in PCC which I was swapping between a JP GMR-15 and a CZ Scorpion.   

I have been lusting over STI's and SVI's lately wanting to get into the open class and flat shooters.   However like you have personally experienced, I have seen my friend getting jammed up a few times and having to constantly work out loads and springs etc..  I really don't see myself reloading and adjusting much on my pistol except for what I've done to it initially.  Once the trigger, grip and mag release has the right feel and positioning I just want to shoot as fast as I can, using off the shelf ammo. (40cal so I'm in the Major PF without having to reload)  I hope you work out your issues and the sport becomes fun again, thanks for your honesty, it has curbed down my need for an STI or SVI for the time being.  I would love to build an Open CZ with 40SW if I can and may go that direction even more so now.

• 1 month later...
On 6/28/2021 at 6:28 PM, DungFlinger said:

Thanks you for this.  I am almost in the exact same boat.  I haven't been in any official competitions yet just shooting at our small club/range on a small island in the pacific ocean, about as rural and limited access to any gun stuff as you can get.  I do love to travel and would like to make competition shooting a part of my travel plans.   

I have a a pair of CZ P-09's that I plan to shoot in carry optics, and there a guy in our club that has an STI 2011 that shoots amazingly flat..  it's almost like he's cheating..  lol.. we don't separate our group in "classes" we just shoot together and for fun basically.  We do keep track of times and have a point system and run a short series..   I'm currently in the 2nd with my Carry optics CZ's behind my fried  with the flat shooting STI and 1st in PCC which I was swapping between a JP GMR-15 and a CZ Scorpion.   

I have been lusting over STI's and SVI's lately wanting to get into the open class and flat shooters.   However like you have personally experienced, I have seen my friend getting jammed up a few times and having to constantly work out loads and springs etc..  I really don't see myself reloading and adjusting much on my pistol except for what I've done to it initially.  Once the trigger, grip and mag release has the right feel and positioning I just want to shoot as fast as I can, using off the shelf ammo. (40cal so I'm in the Major PF without having to reload)  I hope you work out your issues and the sport becomes fun again, thanks for your honesty, it has curbed down my need for an STI or SVI for the time being.  I would love to build an Open CZ with 40SW if I can and may go that direction even more so now.

In Open division the issues  mostly are ammo related as pointed out previously, once you "tailored"  the ammo ( OAL, PF and recoil spring) is just keep it lubed.. Don't give up

• 2 months later...
On 3/30/2021 at 5:12 AM, Kilrb said:

If you regret it you can sell as easy as you bought it, and somebody won't have to be on a wait list. That's how I got mine and never looked back just enjoy every time I shoot it

Agree to this

15 minutes ago, Hvansky said:

Agree to this

I am starting to have some regret as I should have submitted my gunbuilder in April and not waited! They are that good. The one I have currently is the best open gun to date for me in every way. 

17 minutes ago, Posvar said:

I am starting to have some regret as I should have submitted my gunbuilder in April and not waited! They are that good. The one I have currently is the best open gun to date for me in every way. 

I see you jumped ship from the Limcats. Is the difference between them that remarkable? I had to show alot of restraint when you posted your 2 for sale.

5 hours ago, Posvar said:

Did you end up getting one in 9MM major? 

5 hours ago, LmtdOne said:

I see you jumped ship from the Limcats. Is the difference between them that remarkable? I had to show alot of restraint when you posted your 2 for sale.

Would like to know the difference between the SVI and Limcat as well. I'm on the fence of getting an SVI in 9MM.

7 minutes ago, ilovevtac said:

Did you end up getting one in 9MM major? 

Would like to know the difference between the SVI and Limcat as well. I'm on the fence of getting an SVI in 9MM.

I have always liked the looks of Limcats and SVI guns over all the others. I know the Infinity guns are great I just have not personally had any experience with the Limcats myself. It would be nice to be able to run a a range buddy's Limcat for a clip or two to see what I'm missing.

• 3 weeks later...

No regrets but I did have some sticker shock in the recent gun builder and not being able to get what I wanted. Seems like if you quote 7k+ for a limited build you should be able to have some actual custom options not just all the existing options they offer, or should I say a slightly unique combo of said options.

I bought a single stack last year and while it is accurate and smooth shooting (running it back to back with my sti Trojan it was obvious how much smoother the SV ran) it wouldn’t run with the mags they sold me and had to modify the followers to make it so it wouldn’t lock back early, had too little sear/hammer engagement and went back and forth with them with a another new sear (I got a spare with my build), and then they sent a new hammer and that fixed it but also bumped my pull weight over 3lbs (still nice but not “custom” nice), and now it’s at the factory trying to diagnose a bullet deformation issue where it’ll ding the nose of bullets on feeding so when I eject the round out of the chamber at the end of the stage it will have a line or semi circle cut in the tip. All things that an almost 6k gun shouldn’t have done.
Here’s the but:

BUT, they have been responsive and helpful throughout the entire process, shipped parts for free and helped diagnose the issues over the phone, helped with tweaking my load to get better performance, responded quickly and courteously to all of my inquiries, and as mentioned they are doing a once over at the factory to help diagnose my current issue. You pay a premium price for a premium product, they stand behind it and are very easy to deal with. I’d love to get my hands on a couple other custom manufacturers pistols to feel the difference but unfortunately living in Ak it’s somewhat difficult to do so. 

66795D98-A71A-43E0-9719-E27B5212E456.jpeg

Prices are up significantly, just like for everything else.  $7k isn't uncommon for an SV Limited gun now.  Atlas has Limited guns that are $5500 and $6300.  Some of the other big names are probably $5-6k as well.