Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Competition bag suggestions....

mniels

At the moment I am using the medium size DAA backpack with their range cart, but I am looking for a little more room, so I am ordering on of the RangeRunner carts.  With that one I want a non-backpack bag.  There are soooo many options out there.  I was thinking about the DAA XL bag, but I figured I would ask around.  I am not a fan of that bag from an aesthetic standpoint, for whatever that is worth.

I want something that will last forever (one thing I do really like about the DAA backpack, it is 5 years old and still looks almost new.)  Since I am buying to last, I am fine with spending the extra dough for something very high quality.  As it is going to be on a cart, weight isn't really an issue.  If I am going to the indoor range I will still be using the backpack.  Some sort of magazine storage is, of course, imperative.  Not sure where I land on the "pull out" internal tote that a lot of bags have.  I know that they are very popular, but I am not a fan of the Midway USA competition bag.  I have owned one, they just don't do it for me.

So, let the arguments over what is the better bag begin! 

The bigger the bag, the more junk fits into it and the heavier it gets.  I've owned several bags including Shooter's Connection, Black Scorpoin and the DAA extra large bag.  On the DAA, the plastic piece that supports the bottom cavity broke.  They sent a new bag to replace one broken piece.

Customer service went above and beyond.

BC

I originally bought the big DAA one and when it arrived I took one look at it, called DAA and swapped it for the medium. The big was huge....it was so big I could practically but my reloading press into it! I'm much happier with the medium but its still very heavy when full. However, I can get all I need in there and still haul it to and from the car if I use my head and pack correctly. If I ever get serious and start shooting competitions I will be buying a cart or converting a baby stroller. I'm getting too old for all this work....well, perhaps too lazy!

9 minutes ago, quiller said:

I originally bought the big DAA one and when it arrived I took one look at it, called DAA and swapped it for the medium. The big was huge....it was so big I could practically but my reloading press into it! I'm much happier with the medium but its still very heavy when full. However, I can get all I need in there and still haul it to and from the car if I use my head and pack correctly. If I ever get serious and start shooting competitions I will be buying a cart or converting a baby stroller. I'm getting too old for all this work....well, perhaps too lazy!

I love my large DAA but it is definitely a cart bag. I even cut the straps off of mine.

1 minute ago, Sarge said:

I love my large DAA but it is definitely a cart bag. I even cut the straps off of mine.

If...or should I say when I go the cart route I'd sell the medium, go big and do the same as you by cutting off the straps. Only reason my medium still has them is for resale value. Some young lad or las came handle it as a backpack...but not me. I use the top strap and its easy enough to pull out and toss into my Subu Outback (RU as I call it).

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

Have been using this cart for quite a few years.  Rugged Gear designed this 2-gun version for competition as it's not a converted baby stroller.  YouTube video.

The gun bag fits nicely into the center section right on top of a small square cooler.  It folds up very easily and rolls into the back of the pickup.  The rear wheels can be taken off for ease of storage.  It hangs on a nail in the garage during the off season.  The reloading shelf on the handle will hold an open box of 9mm or 22LR when you are reloading magazines.

Comes in very handy when shooting SC for PCC* and RFR* divisions as it holds 2 rifles and can be rolled up right next to the shooting box.

BC

image.png.3e89d921bce501c625aac7696c94db4e.png

Edited by BillChunn
kain't spel

• 3 weeks later...

I have two of the Guga Ribas backpacks and they are very nicely made. I can't speak to Safariland, but a DAA backpack I had fell apart. I really wish DAA stuff was generally higher quality because they do have clever designs, but their bag was just poorly made. The Guga Ribas bag is extremely nice, has a generous main compartment, a reinforced ammo compartment that can hold 6 100 ct pistol ammo boxes, four side compartments (two large two small), a sunglasses compartment, mag holders, a pocket to put your gun rug, good shoulder straps (wide, padded), good clips and loops for belt and other accoutrement attaching, and has a spot on the front for a chest-rig placard or something else (a large velcro panel). Also has a robust handle on top. 

I got both bags at pretty steep discounts so I can understand not wanting to pay retail. I think they are like $250 or something. 

Also, basically everything but the holsters from Guga Ribas are good. The gun rug is the most compact (good for non-optic guns) of any gun bag I've seen. The mag pouches are heavy but solid and highly adjustable as well as easily removed from the belt, leaving a mounting point behind.

On 1/29/2021 at 8:30 AM, Sarge said:

Yup, totally agree. My wife bought me one for our anniversary this past year, I used if for a few matches and loved it no clutter everything well organized and easy to find. No longer am I having to go though things to get to other things. I do say it is heavy though and you know its on your back, oh by the way she gave me the cart for Christmas, cant wait to run that around :) good stuff 

I'm a huge fan of GPS Gear. https://www.goutdoorsproducts.com/  I use their backpack and PCC cases.  They are rugged, attractive and very well made.  I've never used their range bags.

This is the backpack I use.  https://www.goutdoorsproducts.com/product/tactical-range-backpack/  There is space for everything.  I've never used it on my shoulder.  I tied the straps together in a nice compact bundle.  I put it on my cart and everything is immediately accessible.  It will fit sideways on a RangeRunner 12" cart.

7 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Ulfhednar bags from Norway are excellent quality.

2059666487_e1e2d2_e2fefd2307354977904980ac6471e53cmv2_d_2500_2500_s_4_2.jpg.849cfe83b068729d6d55904ab52043c0.jpg

I was not familiar with them, but they look very nice.  I ended up getting one of the Shooters Connection bags, and I like it so far.  Shooting my first match with it tomorrow.  Plus, my amazing wife got me a Range Tactical Gear cart as a late Christmas present, which I have wanted for a long time.  I love that woman....

I will post some photos of the cart and bag.  It is a very nice combo!

Edited by mniels

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Green Mountain bags are another good brand.  They used to be very popular, but I don't see them much anymore.  They're still available form American Mountain Supply.  And they're still made in the USA.

• 1 year later...

I have the Pro DAA bag, but its true what some say, the larger the bag the more stuff you tend to put in.  But its definitely a cart bag;  I have the DAA cart and it's worth every penny.  I was also looking at the DAA traditional target bag to carry cardboard targets, but hasn't been in stock for years. HOWEVER, let me recommend this art bag I bought on amazon.  It almost fits the USPSA perfectly but has plenty pockets for pasty gun, staplers etc.  Yeah, more stuff to carry....

IMG_0389.JPG

Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 2.39.13 PM.png