Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stacatto XC for USPSA Open division

Twin4uf

I think it would be less competitive than a real open gun.  Between the slide rider and that tiny comp, i think that your 4200+ or so dollars would be better spent on a more game specific open gun

9 hours ago, Twin4uf said:

I have recently started shooting dots. Would a Stacatto XC be competitive in Open division? I realize it has a slide mounted optic vs a frame mounted optic, but looking to see how much difference it makes. 

NO. This gun really has no place in USPSA

You just started shooting a dot.  You likely will not be competitive regardless of the gun for a while.  

If you want to shoot Open, buy an Open gun--real comp, frame mounted optic, major PF. For the price of the "STI-catto", you can buy a very nice Open gun

If $4200 is an actual no-kiddin' price it's a no brainer.

You could do the math a couple ways on that; buy a $4200 open gun, or buy a $3600 open gun with money for........well, probably not for ammo but for mags or training or something. 

I have a shooting buddy who has one and has shot a few USPSA matches in open. He is a GM and shot it well very flat & fast, but guessing anything he shoots would be fast. Probably shot minor ammo. This would be a great open 3-gun minor pistol, but not USPSA. Buy a real open major gun.

gerritm

We fairly routinely see M class CO folks beating A class Open folks (shooting major PF) at our local matches, so it's possible to be "competitive" at the local level if you're good enough, but the inherent disadvantage of minor scoring in a major PF division is going to knock you down a class unless your clubs routinely host extremely technical matches where major scoring is less of an advantage.

You'd be better off getting a proper CO gun for 1/3 of the price and spend the rest on training ammo. 

if you already have the xc, then definitely shoot it in uspsa!  i started off with a steelmaster i bought as a range toy before i even knew about uspsa.

ask sti/staccato if you can shoot major power factory ammo thru it and if so any recommended spring changes.  atlanta arms and others sell major power factor 9mm ammo.

if not just shoot regular 9mm and have fun.  your scoring will be a little disadvantageous (non A-zone hits are scored less) but you can still have lots of fun.

I heard back from STI/Stacatto. XC not set up for 9mm Major. I have a Stacatto P that is my edc. I was thinking it would be nice from a training standpoint to shoot almost identical platform. 
May have to move to Carry Ops after all. 

3 hours ago, Twin4uf said:

I heard back from STI/Stacatto. XC not set up for 9mm Major. I have a Stacatto P that is my edc. I was thinking it would be nice from a training standpoint to shoot almost identical platform. 

The get it and shoot. Unless you are planning on trying to win major matches I wouldnt worry about if this specific gun is "competitive".

2 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

Unless you are planning on trying to win major matches I wouldnt worry about if this specific gun is "competitive".

+++++1       As long as you're having fun, enjoying the game and not breaking any rules regarding equipments. I don't care about what other people will have to say.

If you like it, buy one shoot it and enjoy it.  But it's not a competitive open gun for uspsa use by any definition. So if that's your interest that money can be used a lot better in other directions.

Your best bet would be to find some open shooters at a local match and talk to them and ask to try their guns.

If you just want to have fun, sure. 

if you want to compete and have $4200 to spend, I got my Phoenix Trinity Honcho built from them for $4100 and it can be a full tilt open gun or a sightblock 9mm minor. 

The XC is only decent in 3 Gun open, there isn’t really a place for it other than that. 

It’d be fun though. 

If $4200 was my starting point for price I'd go for the Atlas model that has the slide ride and single port comp. Be a MUCH better gun for not much more considering it will also have a metal grip. Grip alone is a $650 part.

5 hours ago, geraldskip said:

if you want to compete and have $4200 to spend, I got my Phoenix Trinity Honcho built from them for $4100 and it can be a full tilt open gun or a sightblock 9mm minor. 

This is good advice.

39 minutes ago, Bakerjd said:

If $4200 was my starting point for price I'd go for the Atlas model that has the slide ride and single port comp. Be a MUCH better gun for not much more considering it will also have a metal grip. Grip alone is a $650 part.

This is not.  The Atlas might be better than the Stacatto but its dumb for USPSA Open. 

Your money, your choice but there is a reason why EVERYONE decent in Open shoots a frame mounted optic and a real compensator.  Don't overthink this.

6 hours ago, Balakay said:

Your money, your choice but there is a reason why EVERYONE decent in Open shoots a frame mounted optic and a real compensator.  Don't overthink this.

Read the content, and my previous comment.

• 1 month later...
On 1/16/2021 at 7:36 AM, Balakay said:

yeah, i did.  I take it you don't shoot Open either

I shoot open with an open gun. I was giving the guy advise on a better option that is similar to the XC. if he wanted to have a competitive open gun he could spend the same or less and buy used, BUL Armory, ect... 

Hello, a frame mounted optic will be better than a slide mounted optic. The dot does not move around as much on the frame mount compared to the slide mount. The dot also takes less of a beating on a frame mount than on a slide mount. If you like shooting a red dot I would suggest a carry optics pistol. It will cost you less to get into the game. When things get back to semi normal you will be able to buy factory 9mm also. Shooting minor will be a bit of a drawback but it will get you to play the game and have some fun. One thing you might want to do is shoot and open pistol since they are very loud and that may be a problem for you. It may rattle your fillings in your teeth or cause pressure on your sinus cavity. I know a couple of guys that have these problems. Lastly if you do decide on shooting open go to a local match and ask around if anyone has a open pistol for sale. Buying local or better stil using a local gunsmith who builds open pistols will give you more options. Thanks, Eric

On 1/14/2021 at 4:54 PM, Twin4uf said:

So they say that it's not "set up" for 9 major.  Does that mean you could conceivably get it setup for major?  If that's the case and you don't mind replacing your dots fairly often, you could probably give it a go.  I shoot open, and think that it's the most fun division out there.  But it can also be frustrating since you need to spend almost as much time tinkering and fiddling with your gun and gear as you do actually practicing.  That said, you'd probably be better served by getting a dedicated open gun from a reputable builder.  But if you want the XC, get the XC.  It looks cool and if you have fun shooting it then that's going to encourage you to shoot it more.