Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Resale value once milled

jejb

I've never had to get a slide milled before. The guns I wanted have all had options from the factory that gave me the optics cut (X5, Q5 Match, Sig RX's, etc). So I find myself with an S2 Orange. I could have bought an S2 OR, but wanted the upgrades that the Orange has, figuring I'd just get the slide milled. But now I'm having a hard time bringing myself to send it to be milled.

So the question. Does milling a slide impact resale value at the gun shop? I may well never sell the gun, so it's not my biggest hangup, but just trying to think it all through. It just pains me to have a new gun milled.

I have a CZC steel universal dovetail mount on it for now, with an SRO. But I doubt I'll live with that long term. The optic cut I'm looking at is CZC's RDS system. They are coming out with steel adapter plates for their RDS system. I'm not a fan of alum plates for red dot mounts.

20 minutes ago, jejb said:

I've never had to get a slide milled before. The guns I wanted have all had options from the factory that gave me the optics cut (X5, Q5 Match, Sig RX's, etc). So I find myself with an S2 Orange. I could have bought an S2 OR, but wanted the upgrades that the Orange has, figuring I'd just get the slide milled. But now I'm having a hard time bringing myself to send it to be milled.

So the question. Does milling a slide impact resale value at the gun shop? I may well never sell the gun, so it's not my biggest hangup, but just trying to think it all through. It just pains me to have a new gun milled.

I have a CZC steel universal dovetail mount on it for now, with an SRO. But I doubt I'll live with that long term. The optic cut I'm looking at is CZC's RDS system. They are coming out with steel adapter plates for their RDS system. I'm not a fan of alum plates for red dot mounts.

I'd bet there's a good chance it would hurt your resale value at a gun store. But, perhaps not if you sell it to another competition shooter through this forum - or wherever you find competition shooters. Someone looking for a CO gun is more likely to see the value in it - as opposed to the random customers who might walk into a gun store.

Tbarker13 has a good point and to expand a little.  Having a plate system where you can exchange red dots from different manufacturers will likely not hurt the resell value, it might actually help selling to a competition shooter.  Direct milling while it not necessarily decreases the resell value, will increase the time to sell, because you have to find someone who wants to use a red dot with the same footprint.  Therefore it will, in a roundabout way decrease the value for a gun store as it takes longer to sell.  

I would never have a S2 milled vs getting the OR.  The Shadow 2 slide profile will leave a goofy ledge where the plate/optic sits.

Probably more cosmetic vs a snag issue but my OCD would own me.

Edited by FALAR

13 hours ago, FALAR said:

I would never have a S2 milled vs getting the OR.  The Shadow 2 slide profile will leave a goofy ledge where the plate/optic sits.

Probably more cosmetic vs a snag issue but my OCD would own me.

I understand, but that ship has sailed. When I added in the bushing barrel, trigger work and hand fitting, the Orange made more sense to me. And still does. Just having trouble with pulling the trigger on milling the slide.

Might look for an extra slide and have CZC do the bushing mod and their RDS system. But that's a big investment compared to just doing the RDS on the Orange slide. Would give me the option of easily shooting production too, though.

Yes it will impact resale value.  How much is the question... in a gun shop it wouldn’t have been good to begin with so that’s not a real concern.  On a competition forum, then you’ll need to find someone who wants to run an optic.

2 hours ago, jejb said:

I understand, but that ship has sailed. When I added in the bushing barrel, trigger work and hand fitting, the Orange made more sense to me. And still does. Just having trouble with pulling the trigger on milling the slide.

Might look for an extra slide and have CZC do the bushing mod and their RDS system. But that's a big investment compared to just doing the RDS on the Orange slide. Would give me the option of easily shooting production too, though.

If you haven't milled yet then the ship hasn't sailed.

I doubt it will hurt value much if you choose wisely on the optic. I passed on a custom Shadow as it was milled for DPP. Some guys buy a nice Shadow and have work done and then get it milled for a Burris or the like. No USPSA Carry Optics shooter will choose to buy that given the more superior optic choices currently.

Once you have a gun milled you’ll never go back. The optic sits so wonderfully low that all of your muscle memory with irons really helps you find the dot in funky situations. And the switch back to irons for carry is so much easier. It’s also more reliable; optic mounting is much more secure when it’s press-fit into a notch in the slide with half as many fasteners.

You can sell a milled gun set up for competition here on Enos quite easily.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

8 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Once you have a gun milled you’ll never go back. The optic sits so wonderfully low that all of your muscle memory with irons really helps you find the dot in funky situations. And the switch back to irons for carry is so much easier. It’s also more reliable; optic mounting is much more secure when it’s press-fit into a notch in the slide with half as many fasteners.

You can sell a milled gun set up for competition here on Enos quite easily.

You said it much more eloquently than I could. The lower mounting in the slide really is the icing on the cake. My SP01 is headed to CGW as we speak. 

To be honest I'd look into getting a new slide and have that milled that way if you do end up wanting to sell it you can have a complete gun with all matching numbers incase someone wanted to shoot production. Then if you happen to come across an s2 lower boom now you've got yourself another s2 or have others said do the rds cut from czc that way if you do sell it it would up the resale seeing as how now the s2 can have multiple optics utilized with just different plates

Edited by AngeloConde

54 minutes ago, AngeloConde said:

To be honest I'd look into getting a new slide and have that milled that way if you do end up wanting to sell it you can have a complete gun with all matching numbers incase someone wanted to shoot production. Then if you happen to come across an s2 lower boom now you've got yourself another s2 or have others said do the rds cut from czc that way if you do sell it it would up the resale seeing as how now the s2 can have multiple optics utilized with just different plates

Too late.  The slide is gone to get machined.

Edited by SGT_Schultz
spelling

On my original slide milling I bought a second slide and had it milled with the CZC plate system, the reasoning is my optic choice may change as new stuff comes out.  Once receiving it the quality was so good that on the next one It would be mill the original slide.  When I had the S2 milled I used the CZC plate system, added the rear sight plate and good to go.  I do not think this will effect my resale (if I ever sell it).

I did hold out with the P10 for the optics ready version and it is nice, and would not regret the S2 optics ready if I buy one.

I was in the same boat as you. I bought a shadow 2 Orange also right before the new year.  I didn’t hesitate and sent the slide to CZC for the plate.   Can’t wait for it to get back so I can enjoy the pistol (haven’t even shot it since I sent the slide a few days after I brought it home).  Sucks having the frame in the safe without a slide haha. Definitely got over the whole slide cut thing once I got the email from CZC saying they received it.

In the end, it’s just a pistol.  Enjoy it and don’t think about resale. More than likely someone buying it will be shooting competition as well if you do sell and wouldn’t mind having the slide already milled.  I’m making the switch from limited to CO as soon as it gets back.  

Since you have an SRO I would mill the slide for the optic, It's a much cleaner assembly. I think SRO's will be be desirable for long time to come and you won't have issues with Trijicon changing the footprint/ size/ shape every six months like some companies seem to do.