Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not sure what to make of this reticle

SGT_Schultz

The chevron might be useful, kinda like the triangle in the DPP or some of the Trijicon Accupoint rifle scopes.

The big ol circle to tell you which way you're misaligned, I want to say gimmick.  So the guy in the vid says it's useful in oddball positions, something we know a little bit about.  Stock answer: work on keeping the gun in front of your face no matter how contorted you are.

What say the Benos peanut gallery?

I would have to try it but it may just be training wheels. But that POV is from someone who has been shooting a dot in one form or other for 16+ years. What I would like to see is the ability to change the diameter of the circle. 😉 

12 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

What I would like to see is the ability to change the diameter of the circle. 

That would be cool to have that functionality in a red dot or holographic optic.

I can see where the circle and what the gent is saying in the video could help correct indexing. I believe it would be intuitive to correct or find the dot just how he describes it. I have a pretty decent index when it comes to dots and rarely lose the dot. It does happen on rare occasion and it typically happens when moving into a position where I take the off hand off the gun to move and have to regrip to shoot at odd angles. A position that is not normally trained on enough to guarantee proper index everytime.  

With that said, I am probably not switching over to that optic anytime soon due to the investment in other dots currently on my pistols. 

7 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

Did you watch the video at all?  No, it's not the same as EOTech and Holosun, and it's not for aiming.

Nope, I am familiar with the 507. Most reviews on YouTube are pretty poor so if I watch them I fast forward A LOT. Mr Gunandgear is one of the better reviewers on YouTube.

7 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

Did you watch the video at all?  No, it's not the same as EOTech and Holosun, and it's not for aiming.

I did watch it, the circle is exactly what I originally posted. Now the chevron, not really sure on a pistol, I do like a chevron on a rifle scope. On pistol optics I am not a fan of huge dots for our kind of shooting, they are fine for carry and self defense.

2 hours ago, The Donald said:

I did watch it, the circle is exactly what I originally posted.

The circle is invisible to the user when the chevron is somewhat centered in the lens and the pistol is at normal arm's length.

It's not used for aiming at all, even when portions of it are visible.

It's impossible to have an intelligent conversation when there's this huge gap in information comprehension.

9 hours ago, CharlieD said:

I would think illuminating that giant circle would shorten battery life significantly, other than that I don’t see a down side.

Holosun claims at least 50K hours of battery life regardless of which reticle you have lit.  I;ll give them the benefit of the doubt

Edited by SGT_Schultz

24 minutes ago, rishii said:

The giant circle would be helpful shooting strong or weak hand only, often my index isn’t perfect and I’m hunting for the dot on the draw.  A ton of dryfire would cure it also but who’s got the time for that😀

18 minutes ago, rishii said:

Plus I wish holosun would make a simple 8moa dot, instead of all of their various reticle

i know they make one with a 8moa ring, but I like a big bright dot

Agreed on all points, especially WHO.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2020 at 1:00 PM, rishii said:

The giant circle would be helpful shooting strong or weak hand only

Ditto, especially weak hand.  After I transfer the gun I am ALWAYS playing find the dot for the first shot.  My left hand is damaged so I don't always get a proper grip on the gun.

Got the Holosun mounted this morning on an extra X-5 slide. Did some drive fire drills, mostly strong hand only. Real easy to see the chevron on a draw. At the distance you hold a pistol from your eye the chevron really shows up well. Might run up to the range tomorrow see how it sights in and how fast it shoots.

When the Deltapoint first came out they had a triangle dot (hence the name) and the idea was you'd use the top of the triangle for precise shots.

In reality, that took too long and the inscribed circle of the triangle was huge, so it didn't even work too well as a dot.

Now nobody seems to want triangle-dot Deltapoints anymore.

Be interesting to see if they fixed those issues in the holosun.

21 hours ago, shred said:

When the Deltapoint first came out they had a triangle dot (hence the name) and the idea was you'd use the top of the triangle for precise shots........Now nobody seems to want triangle-dot Deltapoints anymore.

I have one of the DPPs with the 7.5 moa triangle on a S&W M&P9 2.0 CORE and am pretty happy with it.  It's fast to find the "dot" and precise enough for the PPC league I use it for.  That said, apparently I'm in the minority as the triangle version has disappeared from Leupold's web site.