Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Rimfire Pistol for Steel Challenge?

Speedwagon

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, Zincwarrior said:

Wife and I liked the Buckmark. It has a different grip angle than the Ruger Target. Takedown is MUCH easier but found the allenscrews would need retightening every 50 rounds or so and you can't super tighten the screws because the top plate cracks. Both Brownings and Rugers are good .22s. I think it really comes down to which feels better in your hand, now that there is the model IV type.

I've had my buckmark for 20 years or so and have shot probably 50k plus rounds through it. This past year I started having a ton of failure to feeds and pulled it apart, cleaned it, polished parts and still nothing. I would get in 3 mags worth and then the malfunctions started. Replaced all the mag springs and even picked up some new mags and still nothing.

Eventually I realized the top was coming loose ever so slightly but enough to cause issues so I replaced the star washers and used a little blue locktite and it's been golden ever since. Took it out for a fundraiser steel shoot and it went 800 rounds without issue.

15 hours ago, Speedwagon said:

Decisions decisions. My boys tell me I overthink things, maybe they're right?

I agree with your boys.

Seems like you've got your mind set on the Buckmark and you're looking for someone to give you a reason to not get it.  While I shoot and am very happy with my Ruger, there are a bazillion people who shoot and love the Browning, so it would absolutely meet your needs for Steel Challenge (and more).

IMO you don't have to worry about buyers remorse with any of the pistols mentioned, so if the Buckmark feels good to you then grab it before it's gone.

2 hours ago, Intheshaw1 said:

I've had my buckmark for 20 years or so and have shot probably 50k plus rounds through it. This past year I started having a ton of failure to feeds and pulled it apart, cleaned it, polished parts and still nothing. I would get in 3 mags worth and then the malfunctions started. Replaced all the mag springs and even picked up some new mags and still nothing.

Eventually I realized the top was coming loose ever so slightly but enough to cause issues so I replaced the star washers and used a little blue locktite and it's been golden ever since. Took it out for a fundraiser steel shoot and it went 800 rounds without issue.

Yes the mistake I made was initially taking those off to clean everything thoroughly. We acquired those after the NEO and I was used to dissembling everything and there was a videoing doing that at the time.

On 11/17/2020 at 10:27 AM, Speedwagon said:

Hello all. I'm fairly new to posting on this forum but have been lurking on it for some time. I shoot IDPA and USPA regularly and some Steel Challenge with a Sig P320 X5 Legion with optic. With winter coming we mostly shoot Steel Challenge here and I want to shoot rimfire pistol with an optic since I have plenty of 22 ammo and 9MM is getting difficult. 

Anyway, I have an old Ruger MKii that I bought back in 1982 but I think I'd be better off to upgrade and not sure which to go with. I've done some research and haven't found anything recent and with new guns I'd like to get some updated recommendations. At this point I'm considering the Browning Buckmark Contour URX 5.5", Ruger 22/45, and S&W Victory in that order leaning heavily toward the Buckmark. I've had bad customer service from S&W in the past and would rather stay away from them. Choice of optic will come later once I decide on the gun. 

I'm hoping I can get some insight from users and those that have participate in matches on which gun is less problematic, more reliable and requires less tinkering. I do like to tinker to a certain extent but would rather start out with good factory equipment with little tinkering required. 

Thanks in advance!

It really depends on what your budget is and where you see yourself going in the sport.  The two best out on the market are the CWA custom pistols with the double stack width grip (what I shoot) and the Volquartsen scorpion.  I have tried them all and if I was not going to make this type of investment, I would go Ruger 22/45 all day.  Some people like the Lites, but I prefer the heavier gun. Which ever direction you head, I recommend getting a threaded compensator.  I would then add Tandemkross goodies as budget opens up.  

I hope this helps!

Steve

On 11/17/2020 at 6:46 PM, Speedwagon said:

That was my first thought and I still might. I just didn't like the hassle in cleaning and not sure I wanted to spend more money on it. Still an option though.

Any input on the Browning Buckmark anyone?

Shot Buckmarks for two years... stay away from them IMO.  I had more issues with my comp guns then I would care to say.  If you do happen to go down the Buckmark path, keep Billy Striplin on speed dial.  He is the godfather of Buckmarks

I disagree with Jaques.  I had a Scorpion and it had to go back three times for repairs/adjustments.  It was accurate, but not dependable.

I agree with Fosters3.  After having used (extensively) a HS Supermatic Trophy, Hammerli X-Esse, full race Buckmark, Ruger MKIII and a Volquartsen Scorpion I was not satisfied with any of them for one reason or another.  Five years ago I bought a custom CWA upper for my 1911 45 pistol.  I have had zero problems with it, except for the occasional faulty ammo.  I highly recommend it.  If you want to shoot in a State that outlaws threaded barrels, go for their slide on comp.

If and when I wear this upper/barrel out, I'll buy another just like it.  I'm that sold on them.  Now, if I could only find ammo that ran 100% I'd be a happy camper.  Best so far is one FtF in about 500 rounds.

I just put together a RFPO for SC... I shot a SW M41 for a couple of matches, and found I have a tendency to lay my thumb against the bottom section slide with a thumb forward hold... plus, I hadn't bought myself a birthday present yet, so picked up a Ruger 22/45 lite from PSA (on the site for about a day)... originally a Holosun 507c then tried the HS 510 from my 10/22... ended up with a big lens 510 on the 22/45 as I find the dot is easier to track... a friend gave me a TK brake.... just need to get some trigger time... CCI Blazer for matches

098.JPG

15 hours ago, fosters3 said:

It really depends on what your budget is and where you see yourself going in the sport.  The two best out on the market are the CWA custom pistols with the double stack width grip (what I shoot) and the Volquartsen scorpion.  I have tried them all and if I was not going to make this type of investment, I would go Ruger 22/45 all day.  Some people like the Lites, but I prefer the heavier gun. Which ever direction you head, I recommend getting a threaded compensator.  I would then add Tandemkross goodies as budget opens up.  

I hope this helps!

Steve

Steve - Do you have any experience with the CWA conversion kits?

Any of the guns you mention will be fine.  Buy the Buckmark you obviously want to get, then do what you need to do to it to make it 100% reliable. 

After that, see what you can do to make the trigger lighter and smooth.

And there you go! 

I shoot RFPI with a Ruger Mark II (with the long bull barrel) that I bought in 1991, and I'm currently 13th GM on the Top 20 list for RFPI.  I put a FO front sight on it, and added a Volquartsen hammer and sear combination, and that's it---and I have no idea how many rounds I've shot through that gun.  I bought it for $129, and have put a whopping $70 more into it for parts.  While there ARE guns out there that will make it more difficult to do well, the list you initially posted doesn't contain them. 

If you want to spend more money, or like the looks of the more expensive guns, you can completely do that, and it'll be all sorts of fun.  But there isn't any gun on the list you originally came up with (including the Buckmark) that will hold you back from being as good as you want to be, as long as you do whatever the gun needs to make it reliable.

I shoot RFPO with a Mark III 22/45 Lite with Primary Arms Advanced Microdot and a Tandemkross comp on it, plus a Volquartsen hammer/sear combo.  I've got a classification percentage of 104% in RFPO.  You don't have to buy one of the expensive guns to do perfectly well.

If you WANT to buy one of the expensive ones, go for it---they look cool, and they run well.  But----any reliable decent .22 from your initial list will also work completely fine.

4 minutes ago, Trump said:

I just got into that so I bought a ruger mark 2 old but better w no magazine safety junk. I shortened the barrel to 3" and installed a steel comp. the thing runs great. pain in the a$$ to take apart and clean though

My Mark II doesn't get cleaned NEARLY enough compared to the amount I shoot it, because it is such an enormous pain in the butt to take apart and then put back together.  :)

6 hours ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

Steve - Do you have any experience with the CWA conversion kits?

I have and they run great.  Before you buy one, call Chet to make sure there are no issues with your type of gun. There is one brand they do not work well with.. maybe Rock Island?  If you dont have his number, let me know and I will send it to you.

Steve

I have been shooting a Ruger 22/45 and MK III for several years- has Volquartsen firing pin, extractor and trigger in both. C-more 8MOA railway gives a good sight picture. CCI mini mags, and Winchester Super-X X22LR run great as well as Ely. Clean the guns after every match. Rifle is Ruger 10/22 with Volquartsen extractor and firing pin. Trigger is done by clark custom guns. Hogue stock for better grip in summer when sweating. Same C-more on this also. Use same ammo.

It is not the arrow but the Indian that makes a difference when you step up to the line. 

3 hours ago, 38super said:

CWA conversions only work with GSG mags.  

Not so.  You can easily modify Advantage Arms mags to work.  You have to file down the front of the feed lips to accommodate the extended feed ramp Chet uses.  Brownell's mags cannot be modified to work.  Chet used to use the modified AA mags himself.

Edited by zzt

14 hours ago, fosters3 said:

I have and they run great.  Before you buy one, call Chet to make sure there are no issues with your type of gun. There is one brand they do not work well with.. maybe Rock Island?  If you dont have his number, let me know and I will send it to you.

Steve

If you are putting it on an STI 1911 receiver you have to tell Chet so he modifies the lower 'lug' to fit.  Generally it will not run with a 9mm ejector installed.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks all for the suggestions!

I figured I'd start out with the old Mark II. Mounted a Viper Venom 6MOA and replaced the mag springs with the Tandemkross green springs. I shot 80 rounds out of four magazines and didn't have any FTF or FTE issues. Years ago I cleaned the trigger up and I've never tried my trigger gauge on it but I'd say it's around 2#. I also bought a Tandemkross extractor but haven't installed that yet but will the next time I take it apart to clean. I also installed a hammer strut support and this makes reassembly easier.

So I'm happy with this for now. Only problem is we just got 32" of snow so no one can get into the pits in the ranges to setup for a steel shoot. Looks like I'll be waiting a bit to ping some steel.

Ruger MK IIB.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I own a Buckmark. Standard with no mods. I brought it used in Lincoln for $150.  Works great.  Then a Marvel conversion unit. Didn’t like it. Then a TS conversion unit that runs like a champ.  They don’t build them anymore.  Nelson conversion units seem very reliable.  Since I am a 1911/Infinity shooter I really like conversion units.  Same feel and controls but it’s a .22. 
looking at a Nelson for the near future.  Iron and optics are readily interchangeable. 

1 hour ago, pjb45 said:

looking at a Nelson for the near future.  Iron and optics are readily interchangeable. 

If you didn't like the Marvel Unit One you will not like the Nelson.  I have owned both and the Nelson is inferior.  Both have a problem with high speed ammo, because the heaviest recoil spring they offer is 10 lb.  If you shoot something like Eley Force (42gr @ 1250 fps) you will need a new sear in about 500 rounds.  Slide action is violent.  If you are happy with CCI SV, Fiocchi SV, or Eley Target the Nelson is fine.  If you want to routinely shoot hotter ammo, a conversion where the whole slide reciprocates is the better choice.

I'll also note the CWA conversion I recommended above will not work reliably with SV ammo.

11 hours ago, zzt said:

If you didn't like the Marvel Unit One you will not like the Nelson.  I have owned both and the Nelson is inferior.  Both have a problem with high speed ammo, because the heaviest recoil spring they offer is 10 lb.  If you shoot something like Eley Force (42gr @ 1250 fps) you will need a new sear in about 500 rounds.  Slide action is violent.  If you are happy with CCI SV, Fiocchi SV, or Eley Target the Nelson is fine.  If you want to routinely shoot hotter ammo, a conversion where the whole slide reciprocates is the better choice.

I'll also note the CWA conversion I recommended above will not work reliably with SV ammo.

my grip with the marvel  was the guide rod tightens the upper to the frame.  Every time I took it off, I had to re-zero the gun.  Larry said that is not a problem with his although his looks like a Marvel. 

i just brought a new place, unpacking and build a reloading bench, so I have no time to explore his stuff further. Oh I am in the capitol of action shooting so matches take up the remaining time.  Sounds like i am whining🤣