Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If a person has a surplus of supplies (ie. bullets, primers, cases or powder) then they are free to sell them to their fellow competitors for whatever price they wish; They can choose to make a profit, or sell for cost (or less) its their choice. 

Would all of us do that? Perhaps not... but that’s what freedom is.

Well from someone who has none, if I could buy them from someone here for $125/1k I would have happily done so. 

I am out of ammo. 

I wasn't shooting or reloading whenever we had these shortages in the past.  I kept 1k-2k rounds on hand which was plenty for someone who only shot 1k-2k a year yet alone a month!  But then I decided to try a 3 gun match,  lol

I bought reloading equipment this month to load for this reason otherwise I was perfectly happy with Fed syntech 135g for $234 shipped to my door!!!

Even at $0.13/primer it is still less than .30/round to load and a significant savings over the going price for 9mm in any configuration right now.  I am going to save $400-450 to load my first 1k rounds of 9mm right now and I NEED it to get through this year!

I ended up getting primers by finding small rifle magnum primers for $40/1k and selling 2k of them for $245 and buying 1K of Federal small pistol for $160.   So it cost me $85 for 1k small pistol primers and I am super happy with that deal!!!

Sarge I appreciate wanting to keep this place respectful but we are all about free market and society and who know when or even IF we will ever get back to buying primers at .03 a piece. 

Edited by ML123

12 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

I haven’t shot a match since the 2019 CO Nationals so i’m a little out of the loop here... is it just the primers that are hard to come by?

They are the hardest.  Followed by jacketed bullets.  Powder is still available, unless you are picky!!

1 hour ago, BritinUSA said:

I haven’t shot a match since the 2019 CO Nationals so i’m a little out of the loop here... is it just the primers that are hard to come by?

yeah.  I wanted small rifle primers... 

none.

you know how reloading goes, I ran out of primers and powder.  and have a few bullets left...

ooooops.

10 hours ago, Sarge said:

Are we as a forum actually going to let somebody sell primers for $125 per thousand? 
As strict as the classified rules are I would think price gouging needs to be added to the no no list.

I had a much longer, enumerated reply to you Sarge that would probably get me time out here but I will just give you the gist.

1.  That is the advertised price.  What he actually gets for them specifically and what two consenting adults agree on price-wise for an item or service in general is, frankly, none of your business.  But most importantly, two consenting adults agreeing on a price does not equal price gouging.

2.  It is an election year.  It’s not like election day just snuck up on any of us shooters/reloaders.  You should have been planning and preparing accordingly already.

3.  About a year or two after Sandy Hook, I sold primers for $50 a brick.  I had posted a classified ad here.  And my ad received its share of gripe-ers too.

The mods and admin here knew such a classified ad would happen again.  They should have re-iterated the rules for the classified section a month or two ago.

5 hours ago, Chills1994 said:

I had a much longer, enumerated reply to you Sarge that would probably get me time out here but I will just give you the gist.

1.  That is the advertised price.  What he actually gets for them specifically and what two consenting adults agree on price-wise for an item or service in general is, frankly, none of your business.  But most importantly, two consenting adults agreeing on a price does not equal price gouging.

2.  It is an election year.  It’s not like election day just snuck up on any of us shooters/reloaders.  You should have been planning and preparing accordingly already.

3.  About a year or two after Sandy Hook, I sold primers for $50 a brick.  I had posted a classified ad here.  And my ad received its share of gripe-ers too.

The mods and admin here knew such a classified ad would happen again.  They should have re-iterated the rules for the classified section a month or two ago.

$50 a brick could be understandable. $125 is not.

everyone on here is grown, dont like the price dont pay it, dont like the person dont buy in the future.
What we dont need is a nanny system.
I see and have been offered alot of grossly over priced items here,, guess what ? I scroll on by. 

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

$50 a brick could be understandable. $125 is not.

That was 8 years ago, when primers where cheaper.

Again, all things are relative. We gripe about $125 per k but that could be cheap compared to prices 6 months from now.

Frankly, it's supply and demand. If price ceilings are set, we have shortages like we have now. These were set by companies when all this started as they would get a bad rap if they raised prices but if they would have we probably wouldn't see the shortages and price hikes we have now. Maybe if companies doubled the prices of primers people wouldn't have hoarded more than they need.

And all things considered, even paying $125 for primers gets you to around 22 cents per round for 9mm, which I see going for 60-80 cents per round for factory ammo locally.

If you think $125 is too much for primers right now, what would you sell yours for right now? Not selling is not an answer, seriously, what would you sell yours for right now? Everyone has their price and for some people it's 125, for competitive shooters it's probably even higher since we shoot more and know there are no primers out there.

10 minutes ago, Intheshaw1 said:

That was 8 years ago, when primers where cheaper.

Again, all things are relative. We gripe about $125 per k but that could be cheap compared to prices 6 months from now.

Frankly, it's supply and demand. If price ceilings are set, we have shortages like we have now. These were set by companies when all this started as they would get a bad rap if they raised prices but if they would have we probably wouldn't see the shortages and price hikes we have now. Maybe if companies doubled the prices of primers people wouldn't have hoarded more than they need.

And all things considered, even paying $125 for primers gets you to around 22 cents per round for 9mm, which I see going for 60-80 cents per round for factory ammo locally.

If you think $125 is too much for primers right now, what would you sell yours for right now? Not selling is not an answer, seriously, what would you sell yours for right now? Everyone has their price and for some people it's 125, for competitive shooters it's probably even higher since we shoot more and know there are no primers out there.

I have a several year supply of primers and I won’t sell one single primer. I guess if I wanted to be an ass I could sell them for 50 cents a piece since that’s still cheaper than buying ammo?

1 minute ago, Sarge said:

I have a several year supply of primers and I won’t sell one single primer. I guess if I wanted to be an ass I could sell them for 50 cents a piece since that’s still cheaper than buying ammo?

I'm in the same boat, I have plenty and won't sell any because I know a resupply isn't coming soon. But if someone came up and offered you $500 per k as your stated price above and you sold them, it's the price both of you agreed on and we willing to pay/accept.

For someone who wasn't prepared, they may be more than willing to pay $125 for primers vs not having any. It's still cheaper than factory and allows them to keep reloading vs having their equipment sit idle and spend the winter knitting vs reloading. Right now if I ran out of primers, I would hate it but I would pay the going rate to keep shooting and just reduce how much I'm shooting.

52 minutes ago, Balakay said:

Then why open an ad selling primers??

Probably because he was looking for a steal, instead of having to pay market value. Or he was looking for a reason to let the butthurt flow LOL

21 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Who opened an ad? Not me.

YOU opened(read) the WTS post for the guy selling 13K Federal primers.. This triggered you to post your unhappiness with the $125/1000 price.  

If you admittedly have primers to last years, what is your interest in a post selling primers? 

Heck if anyone in the Northeast wants to spend $600 on 2K Federal Small Pistol Primers I'll drive them to your house!  (just kidding, unless....)

I do wonder how many of those Gunbroker auctions never finalize, seems like a huge uptick in Non-rated buyers.

Edited by cjmill87

3 hours ago, Balakay said:

If you admittedly have primers to last years, what is your interest in a post selling primers? 

Because if they were priced reasonably I would buy even more. Just like I will next year when things subside again as always. Probably buy 40k more