Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why expect shooters to teardown stages for FREE after they've PAID to participate in a match?

CuriousNewbie

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, CuriousNewbie said:

Prove me wrong.

Don’t be a Richard. 

EACH target costs between $1-2. 
Fees for USPSA can range between $1-4 per person. 

Most people volunteer and build walls, props, paint fault lines, etc in their free time. 

At $25 for a match it’s just barely covering costs (and not even if you didn’t depend on volunteer labor for a lot of stuff). 

Not to mention if they had to rent to reserve the range.

The “organizers” don’t make a profit, money goes back to the club for capital improvements. 

Remember YOU are the club, it’s not some profiteering thing at $25 a match. MDs don’t take a salary or get a cut. 

1 hour ago, CuriousNewbie said:

Interesting.  That's not the case where I live.  I shoot on the weekend and the teardown expectation is present.

I said teardown is the norm form monthlies. The exception to that is clubs that  offer shooting on Saturday or Sunday for the same match. Those who shoot Saturday don't tear down because the other squads shoot the match on Sunday. But that's only at one club. The rest everyone helps.

"If I PAY a fee and you don't use that money to PAY someone to setup and/or teardown, it's not my responsibility/ obligation to do it for FREE."

I'm sure this is some kind of ridiculous statement designed to cause a stir. However if you really feel this way I suggest you just leave when the match is over. You might also consider refusing to paste targets. It's a lot of walking and no one is paying. You'll make a lot of friends and have fun.

Incidentally, it takes a squad about 5 minutes to tear down a stage on average. It takes a lot of toting and about 30 minutes by a very few (one or two) people to set up the stage. The free is to try and get people to help usually on the day before the match. You're already there for teardown. 

I know you're just trying to create a ruckus but screw you anyway.

6 hours ago, CuriousNewbie said:

If there are +50 people each paying +$25 each weekend... maintenance/ admin fees have been more than covered and it seems like someone could easily be paid (or discounted) to teardown.

I will humor you.

What is your first hand knowledge of match finances where you shoot?

What makes you think that, even if you do know, it translates everywhere else?

7 hours ago, CuriousNewbie said:

That's exactly it.  I don't know why people keep saying it only takes 5 or 10 minutes... BS.  45 minutes seems about right for the matches I go to.  

Unless your match stages are all giant field courses full of circus props or made up of dozens of poppers, there is no way tearing down a bay takes 45 minutes.