Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Things I noticed from two recent Area matches

rowdyb

Area 6 Production: First through third were 100 to 97 percent. But fourth place starts at 76 percent. I can't remember seeing such a large gap between two finishing positions in the top 10 of this division before. Basically twenty percent difference between 3rd and 4th, I've never seen that before at an Area match.

Also only 40 people in the division at an Area match? And Nils is on a Production tear.

Area 8 Carry Optics: The division was won by a B class shooter, beating a combined 12 GM/M shooters. A B shooter pulling a surprise top 3 finish is not unheard of at big matches. But looking at the scores he did it by being consistent the whole match, being in the top 10 for 11 of 12 matches and his worst stage being just 17th place. You look at the shooters who finished behind him and they had a much much wider spread in their best to worst stage scores, with multiple out of the top 10.

Second place had finishes from 1st to 75th. Third had 1st to 31st. Fourth had 1st to 26th.

Well, that brings up a couple of questions.

I assume Nils one production, who was second and third? Also what class was the 4th Place finisher?

The carry Ops deal is interesting. Just the other day I was telling a guy that I believe that most b-class shooters have some master class and even GM class runs in them but consistency is their issue. Looks like it was the other way around on that particular match

5 minutes ago, RJH said:

I assume Nils one production, who was second and third? Also what class was the 4th Place finisher?

Link to Prod for A6 overall

https://practiscore.com/results/new/116185?q_division=6

5 minutes ago, RJH said:

The carry Ops deal is interesting. Just the other day I was telling a guy that I believe that most b-class shooters have some master class and even GM class runs in them but consistency is their issue. Looks like it was the other way around on that particular match

Link to CO for A8 overall

https://practiscore.com/results/new/115551?q_division=1

There are USPSA member numbers listed with names, so the "lowly B shooter" has Master classifiers in Open and is a high A at the moment, not a random B class guy who got lucky. I would also guess that he's been working and preparing for the match for significant amount of time...

The spread in Production is the three top-tier GM-s against regular-guy M-s and below in a major match with many stages, putting extra weight on consistency, which is the bread and butter for those top GM-s...

There was just a gap of missing regular-guy GM-s who would normally show up and fill in the score sheet at 80%-90%. Also missing are M-s who are about to make a GM - the fourth guy was just over the 85% mark in his classification, so finishing at around 75% is about normal. 

29 minutes ago, IVC said:

There are USPSA member numbers listed with names, so the "lowly B shooter" has Master classifiers in Open and is a high A at the moment, not a random B class guy who got lucky. I would also guess that he's been working and preparing for the match for significant amount of time...

I didn't call him a lowly B. Nor did I question his shooting integrity. I complimented him on a solid performance against real competition. And that is rare.

Edited by rowdyb

22 minutes ago, IVC said:

The spread in Production is the three top-tier GM-s against regular-guy M-s and below in a major match with many stages, putting extra weight on consistency, which is the bread and butter for those top GM-s...

There was just a gap of missing regular-guy GM-s who would normally show up and fill in the score sheet at 80%-90%. Also missing are M-s who are about to make a GM - the fourth guy was just over the 85% mark in his classification, so finishing at around 75% is about normal. 

Oh yeah as one of the regular guy also-ran M production guys I know this too well.  The lack of the top "filler" between the pros and the Joe's surprised me.

Scott, the B class guy that won CO at A8 is a solid shooter. He’s part of the Marine Corp. shooting team. I think his main discipline is 3 gun. He just won Battle for the Northcoast match this weekend too in CO. He also shoots at a level above his classification in Open division as well. 

Edited by robb315

40 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Oh yeah as one of the regular guy also-ran M production guys I know this too well.  The lack of the top "filler" between the pros and the Joe's surprised me.

I wouldn't use the label of an "also-ran M" (or an "also-ran GM") - top guys are professionals and they devoted their lives to the sport, so their level of participation and devotion is above the rest. To catch up with them, one must pretty much become a professional or at least train at that level. The top guys win on consistency of small details that add up, but which can only be ingrained by a lot of training. 

Still, find me another area match with these similar things. I'll wait.

1. A B class shooter winning a division over a dozen M and GM. 

2. A greater than 21% spread between two contiguous top 10 finishers in Prod, Lim, Open or CO.

Look at Nationals and Area matches in CO from last year. A good number of B shooters are currently Masters because they were sandbagging for that Walther cash.

The Area 8 guy is a Marine Corp shooting team member and I think he doesn't shoot many locals so his classification lags behind. 

As for the big gap...production is dead in Area 8. CO killed it, and Mason and Nils are absolutely on fire this year

Edited by waktasz

47 minutes ago, waktasz said:

Mason and Nils are absolutely on fire this year

Looking at match results that is an absolute fact! I still don't see Ben's name in the Prod super squad so my money is on one of them.

Only 8 people currently on the Prod supersquad, only one of them M.

CO supersquad has 10 on it, 5 of them M.

59 minutes ago, waktasz said:

If I had to guess

I'd guess he A. has nothing left to prove/you don't make money shooting versus teaching or B. he's giving them a false sense of hope and will squad up at the last minute.

Also nothing I posted about those two Area matches was to denigrate anyone but rather to venerate those who did well.

6 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Only 8 people currently on the Prod supersquad, only one of them M.

CO supersquad has 10 on it, 5 of them M.

I'd guess he A. has nothing left to prove/you don't make money shooting versus teaching or B. he's giving them a false sense of hope and will squad up at the last minute.

Also nothing I posted about those two Area matches was to denigrate anyone but rather to venerate those who did well.

FWIW he shot the MN section match this past weekend in Prod after shooting CO at Great Plains in June. 

I see the Ladies Open winner at Area 6 beat three B class shooters to win the Ladies Open title.  I thought you had to have more than just four people in a category to be considered a category winner?  Or is that all it takes?

Appendix A2.2 is clear that Category recognition requires at least 5 competitors. Not sure it is correct if there were indeed only 4 competitors. Also, notice that the wording is "A minimum of 5 competitors per Division Category," so there must be 5 competitors in the category in the same division (not across divisions), which requires 5 Lady competitors in Open alone. 

7 hours ago, IVC said:

Appendix A2.2 is clear that Category recognition requires at least 5 competitors. Not sure it is correct if there were indeed only 4 competitors. Also, notice that the wording is "A minimum of 5 competitors per Division Category," so there must be 5 competitors in the category in the same division (not across divisions), which requires 5 Lady competitors in Open alone. 

Not quite what it says, Divisions:  level 1 and 2 a minimum of competitors per division category, [recommended] level 3 mandatory. I'm not sure, but aren't Area matches Level 2? Besides they may have had 5 plus and ordered awards and then had people withdraw or not show up. As a MD I'm going to award the trophies and awards if I have already purchased them. Also on level 1 and 2 matches, I believe that if the MD wants to have awards for less than 5 it would be their decision. I know that I would have awards particularly for Juniors and Lady to help maintain their interest and particpation.