Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Things I noticed from two recent Area matches

rowdyb

On 8/31/2020 at 1:28 PM, robb315 said:

Scott, the B class guy that won CO at A8 is a solid shooter. He’s part of the Marine Corp. shooting team. I think his main discipline is 3 gun. He just won Battle for the Northcoast match this weekend too in CO. He also shoots at a level above his classification in Open division as well. 

I've had the pleasure of running him in 4 majors over the last few years, most recently the Battle of the North Coast.  That young man can shoot as can several other members of that team.

10 hours ago, mchapman said:

Not quite what it says, Divisions:  level 1 and 2 a minimum of competitors per division category, [recommended] level 3 mandatory.

Looks like we are not looking at the same rules because the 2020 version in A2 2 says "All level matches" and "A minimum of 5 competitors per Division Category (see approved list below)." Or, you might be looking at A2 1, which talks about Divisions, but not Categories. 

10 hours ago, mchapman said:

Besides they may have had 5 plus and ordered awards and then had people withdraw or not show up. As a MD I'm going to award the trophies and awards if I have already purchased them. Also on level 1 and 2 matches, I believe that if the MD wants to have awards for less than 5 it would be their decision. I know that I would have awards particularly for Juniors and Lady to help maintain their interest and particpation.

I'm not sure how this works in practice - USPSA rules say that categories are not recognized by the USPSA, but you should be able to hand out the awards independently. I would guess it wouldn't violate USPSA rules and they wouldn't be upset, but I don't organize matches as an MD...

Speaking of Area 8, can any of you more experienced guys shed some light on two questions?

How does a match bump work in a case such as this, when a B class shooter wins the division?

I also noticed I received a classification score for Area 8 (I shot CO) but my two friends who both shot production did not.  There were more than 5 GM's in production

Edited by Malarky112

5 minutes ago, Malarky112 said:

Speaking of Area 8, can any of you more experienced guys shed some light on two questions?

How does a match bump work in a case such as this, when a B class shooter wins the division?

I also noticed I received a classification score for Area * (I shot CO) but my two friends who both shot production did not.  There were more than 5 GM's in production

Answers found here: https://uspsa.org/pages/about/classification

Last paragraph for the match bump

For your second question:

- A division must have at least three Grand Masters

- All three Grand Masters must have a match percentage of 90 percent or higher

There were only 2 Production GMs that scored 90 or better...

8 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Answers found here: https://uspsa.org/pages/about/classification

Last paragraph for the match bump

For your second question:

- A division must have at least three Grand Masters

- All three Grand Masters must have a match percentage of 90 percent or higher

There were only 2 Production GMs that scored 90 or better...

Perfect, thank you very much.