Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What grain bullet are you X-Five Legion shooters using for competition?

DB_Cooper

124/5 gr bullets shoot best out of mine and it's a 9mm so recoil is not really a question unless you don't shoot much.

Then most favor 147's but 124gr/125gr bullets shoot more accurately out of my guns. FWIW

I don't reload, so my suggestions will be about off the shelf ammo.

124 grain seems to be the best.   Aguila and Federal American Eagle grouped the best for me.

I have some Freedom Munitions 135 HP and it's very close to those.

Oddly enough, the Federal Syntech 124 was not consistent at all, and I am still scratching my head as to why.   I'm bummed because I bought a bunch of it before I got my X5 because I had such good luck with the 150 Syntech in my CZs.

Anything in 147 or 150 is lousy for me (Syntech, Freedom Munitions).

I wonder if the Barsto barrels like the same ammo?

Edited by LMS

6 hours ago, LMS said:

124 grain seems to be the best.   Aguila and Federal American Eagle grouped the best for me.

Oddly enough, the Federal Syntech 124 was not consistent at all, and I am still scratching my head as to why.   I'm bummed because I bought a bunch of it before I got my X5 because I had such good luck with the 150 Syntech in my CZs.

What’s wrong with the 147 in your gun? Accuracy ? Thanks 

55 minutes ago, Eli_a said:

What’s wrong with the 147 in your gun? Accuracy ? Thanks 

Yes - poor groups.   Ammo fed /cycled / ejected fine.

20 hours ago, George16 said:

4.0 Gr of SP with PD 124 Gr JHP @1.125” OAL for 128-130 PF.

3.9 SP with 124 Berry's, nice load! I find the sights return faster with the 124's vs 147's.

Ed

1 hour ago, LMS said:

Yes - poor groups.   Ammo fed /cycled / ejected fine.

I’m gonna get some 124gr and test those vs the 147 I’ve been using. A lot of people on here posted the same as you, I’m definitely gonna look into it.

On 7/4/2020 at 9:05 AM, LMS said:

Bar Sto loves anything, plated or coated it kicks the oem barrels Butt on accuracy 

8 hours ago, Merldizzle said:

Bar Sto loves anything, plated or coated it kicks the oem barrels Butt on accuracy 

Damn, you know you just cost me a lot of money....  🤓

On 7/4/2020 at 8:05 AM, LMS said:

I found the same thing with my X5 Legion.  It absolutely hated Syntech ammo.  Horrible pattern especially if the barrel was hot.  As far as any 147 coated bullet I have put through my X5 Legions the groups were about the size of a grapefruits at 10 yds.  In every group there were always at least two fliers.  I would have chalked the fliers up to the shooter, but I had zero fliers in my 124 gr and 135 gr groups at 10 yds, where I had 2 fliers with every 147 gr group.  Tests were performed indoors on off the bench.   

I wish I could test the Bar Sto barrels before shelling out the cash.

At 5 yards all holes better touch, at 10 yards they all better be within 1", at 25 yards I accept the size of my fist, 4" or so for a 5 shot group. In my own time, freestyle w good light.

To be honest the reason why I chased the 124/5 bullet route and the barsto barrel was some horrible accuracy with 147 when I first started shooting these guns. Then I had a friend shoot my gun and ammo. Surprise, it was me an my crap trigger control at the time for a striker fired gun that broke more towards the front than the back.

I worked like heck on it and surprise, going back to the stock barrel and 147gr bullets I   started shooting what was acceptable to me.

NOT that is what I'm saying anyone else is doing, but that's my story with this particular gun, bullet and barrel scenario.

Does any one know the twist rate for the Sig barrels? Just guessing its 1 in 24  optimized for 124/125 nato.

Putting it on the line so to speak for 147s.

Edited by AHI

Hello: I found 121,124 and 125 grain bullets to shoot the best. The 147 where not very accurate at 25 yards or more. The 115's where a little snappy but worked well. The 121-125 grain bullets work the best for me. It did not matter if they where jacketed, plated or coated. The powder I am using is Tite Group and also Clean Shot. Power factor is 131-134. Thanks, Eric

On 7/8/2020 at 10:28 AM, AHI said:

Does any one know the twist rate for the Sig barrels? Just guessing its 1 in 24  optimized for 124/125 nato.

Putting it on the line so to speak for 147s.

In the owners manual under specs it says 1in 10.  Mine likes 124/5's better than 147's also.

thank you . I have been asked to work up a load for some one.

with the reports of 147 not being accurate thought it may have one of

the slower twist.

Edited by AHI

• 4 weeks later...