Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What grain bullet are you X-Five Legion shooters using for competition?

DB_Cooper

+1 on the 145 Bayous.  3.1 g TG.  I tried every Bayou starting at 115.  145's shot softest and were most accurate in my SIG X5 (as well as my other guns).  Great people to deal with too.

Edited by Polaris13

I've got a bunch of 147 grain loaded with Xtreme and SNS with ramshot competition.  In my CZ Shadow 2 they grouped incredibly well.  In my X5 Legion the groupings really opened up. I was pretty disappointed in the X5 Legion, thinking it didn't shoot well.  I've got a bunch of factory loaded 115 from many different manufacturers.  So I thought I'd try that in my X5 Legion, and the groupings went back to equal that of my CZ Shadow 2.  So I've been shooting the 115 gr factory ammo for some time and I'm really happy with the results and loving the X5 Legion.

Well, I used to use 147 bullets (ACME coated) and was happy with them. Read a lot of posts saying that 124/125 bullets are more accurate through the X-fives so I had to test 124 bullets. Sure, a bit more accurate and my splits seemed unchanged. So, last fall, I switched.

Today, I found some leftovers with the 147, went to my club for some practice and curiously shot 124s and 147s back to back. My finding today was the red dot returned more quietly with the 147 and I liked that. I did not notice this difference when I tested the 124 last year but it kind of makes sense.

I will get some 147 bullets and test them for accuracy. If good enough, I will switch back.

• 2 weeks later...

I tested a bunch between 124gr JHP and 147gr FP both having the same FPS (131pf-133pf).

124gr is flat out much tighter.

The only time i can replicate that same tight grouping for the 147 fp is when i increase it to 135pf -137pf.

On 9/2/2020 at 10:56 AM, Yagi said:

The only time i can replicate that same tight grouping for the 147 fp is when i increase it to 135pf -137pf.

That’s common - most people just haven’t done any honest accuracy development. They buy the bullets, work their way to a 130ish PF load... and call it good.

Across most lines of 9mm handguns, accuracy with heavy bullets comes with a bit more velocity than most shooters run.

For your next experiment load some to 130-133, 135-137, and 140is powerfactor with the same powder. Take your X5 to the range and tell me how small the difference in felt recoil was. 😉

There’s no reason not to push them a few FPS faster if the groups are better.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I am surprised no one has talked about Zero bullets.  I've been using them for years and they are hard to beat.  You can buy cheaper, but hard to find better.  

I'm still using the Zero 115 Conical JHP with 4.2gr. of Bullseye, it's dirty, but I still had a four pound keg left over from my bullseye shooting days.  

2 minutes ago, OSP737 said:

I am surprised no one has talked about Zero bullets.  I've been using them for years and they are hard to beat.  You can buy cheaper, but hard to find better.   

Because the hey are notoriously hard to get?

Sighted in my DPP with Win 124gr NATOs, just picked up 1k more, I prefer it over the various Rem/Win 115gr through the gun so far.  
Once ammo becomes available again, looking forward to trying out other more match-grade rounds.