Most Popular IDPA ESP and SSP Pistols

Flea

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Lot of it has to do with the region you shoot in.i remember when the XD came out probably 20 shooters in a 50 mile area went with them. Then when Springfield brought out the 9mm 1911 25/30 guys went with them. Then the M&P series hit and a lot dropped Glocks for them. 

The most popular guns in IDPA may not be the 'best gun' for an individual shooter. Glocks, S&W, CZ and others are all popular, and they work reliably. But, which one fits your hand best, and which one to you shoot accurately the fastest, are important considerations. In that respect, the 'most popular' doesn't always equate to the 'best performer' for the individual shooter.

• 3 months later...

I am new and have a CZ Shadow 2 Optics Ready.  Would this be legal for OR?  If I don't mount an optic will it meet SSP?

I also have a Bul Armory AXE Tomahawk C with the ported slide.  Will this be legal for SSP?

Thank you in Advance.

Nope.  Catalog weight for  CZ Shadow 2 Optics Ready is 46.5 oz, IDPA MAXIMUM is 43 oz, 45 with CO.

There is a thread on cutting one down, I don't know if that ever worked out.

The Bul looks ok, factory holes in the slide but not the barrel. 

10 minutes ago, matteekay said:

Interesting to read the responses from a year ago.

Glock is still hugely popular in SSP (at least here), but I'm seeing more and more Caniks turn up in ESP/CO. Must be that Nils bump.

I'm seeing Caniks pop up too. I think it helps when the better local shooters start to move in a direction too. When all the locals were being won by a dude with a canik (who probably bought it because of nils) then more people buy them because of him. But still sort of because of Nils lol

Locally 320 legions with the magwell were the hot item for SSP because our AC said that if it came with a magwell you had to leave it on. Sounds like that has now been clarified from the top that they are reading the rule wrong and you cannot use a magwell in ssp. 

2 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

I think it helps when the better local shooters start to move in a direction too. When all the locals were being won by a dude with a canik (who probably bought it because of nils) then more people buy them because of him.

That's a good point. We had a brief renaissance of Walther Q5's for the same reason. 

...nobody is copying me and shooting a Rhino, though... :( 

21 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

Wow, Does anybody still shoot these categories? Everybody around here and every club I see about 90% just carry optics...

Look at some bigger matches for a better gauge? 

2022 Nats were:

- 86 CO

- 58 ESP

- 47 SSP

My locals tend to be about 50% CO and 50% everything else but I bet it varies by region.

12 hours ago, deerslayer said:

Our club match today had 50% CO and 50% irons. 

Locally here IDPA hasn't seen the level 1 match lopsided shift to CO that USPSA has.  IDPA is roughly 50/50 while USPSA is usually 70/30 or even 80/20.

Higher level matches are somewhat more balanced but CO still dominates.

5 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Locally here IDPA hasn't seen the level 1 match lopsided shift to CO that USPSA has.  IDPA is roughly 50/50 while USPSA is usually 70/30 or even 80/20.

I would suspect , That the fact that SSP can now have 15 plus 1, would have something to do with it's rising Popularity. But then this is just my guess.

Just now, usmc1974 said:

I would suspect , That the fact that SSP can now have 15 plus 1, would have something to do with it's rising Popularity. But then this is just my guess.

It was like that before the change to give SSP 15 rounds.  CO seems to not have taken off in IDPA like it did in USPSA.  There's many theories about why.  Mine is that IDPA, with its 1 second per point penalty and generally lower average skill level, encourages timid, conservative shooting and timid shooters don't benefit as much from a sight that allows easier, faster, visual processing.

1 hour ago, usmc1974 said:

they still have the 18 round per stage limit ? Humm combined with the 1 oint per second thing , may look into it again..
I have recently moved to Marion KS,, I see KS in your profile,, any IDPA clubs to reccommed ? I shot steel challenge at capitol City and may try out ICORE this year

7 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

That sounds similar to what I see here.  

2 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

It was like that before the change to give SSP 15 rounds.  CO seems to not have taken off in IDPA like it did in USPSA.  There's many theories about why.  Mine is that IDPA, with its 1 second per point penalty and generally lower average skill level, encourages timid, conservative shooting and timid shooters don't benefit as much from a sight that allows easier, faster, visual processing.

I would think the opposite is true - IDPA scoring, aka super minor, seriously punishes inaccuracy and would make dot sights that allow easier, faster, visual processing more desirable.  The winners are all accurate, so speed gained is a worthwhile advantage.  In almost every match I shoot (IDPA and USPSA), the CO guys are shooting more 0s and alphas that the iron sight guys.  Major/minor scoring could possibly account for this in USPSA, but doesn't explain why the same thing happens in IPDA.  I know I definitely shoot IDPA a little more conservatively with irons than when shooting a dot to get the same results.  

Edited by deerslayer

1 hour ago, deerslayer said:

I would think the opposite is true - IDPA scoring, aka super minor, seriously punishes inaccuracy and would make dot sights that allow easier, faster, visual processing more desirable.  The winners are all accurate, so speed gained is a worthwhile advantage.  In almost every match I shoot (IDPA and USPSA), the CO guys are shooting more 0s and alphas that the iron sight guys.  Major/minor scoring could possibly account for this in USPSA, but doesn't explain why the same thing happens in IPDA.  I know I definitely shoot IDPA a little more conservatively with irons than when shooting a dot to get the same results.  

I completely agree.  In my local experience it's hard to find an IDPA-only guy who knows how to push speed, both in the shooting and non-shooting tasks.  They're just so afraid of dropping points that they fall back on the ol' "slow down and get your hits" fudd bulls#!t. 

Most of the IDPA guys that I know that are aggressive movers and can shoot both fast and accurately are mainly focused on USPSA.

YMMV