Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most Popular IDPA ESP and SSP Pistols

Flea

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In our area, Glock pistols, models, 17, 19, 34, dominate SSP.  For ESP, 1911 pistols in 9mm Luger are favored.  In SSP, the most popular division, there are 1 or 2 Beretta pistols and 1 CZ of some variant.  Everyone else uses the Glock.

Edited by TNK

Glock 19 is #1 in my area, followed by Glock 34, then 1911's in 45 acp. Every now and then I see a Smith or Walther, but Glock seems to be the go too. 65% are running SSP, but I'm seeing Carry Optics numbers growing.

ESP, 9mm guns. Someone's to modded for ssp Glock. Or a plastic gripped 2011 of some sort.

SSP, Glocks in 9mm of all varieties, many of the Sig P320 variants.

Other places I've lived but not here you'd see a lot of CZ in SSP.

I think overall Glock is still pretty popular in IDPA.

Locally I notice the regulars seem to get on bandwagons. When I started there were a lot of XDM's with some light trigger. Then a lot of M&P's with I think Apex triggers. Then 2011's seemed to pop up more. Now it seems like the P320 is the popular thing. It's really interesting to watch.

10 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

I think overall Glock is still pretty popular in IDPA.

Locally I notice the regulars seem to get on bandwagons. When I started there were a lot of XDM's with some light trigger. Then a lot of M&P's with I think Apex triggers. Then 2011's seemed to pop up more. Now it seems like the P320 is the popular thing. It's really interesting to watch.

http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/lemmingsss.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Glocks are the most prevalent around Hoover AL. The Glock 35 is better than a Glock 34 for two reasons - softer shooting and makes bigger holes. OTOH my Glock 41 makes larger holes and shoots softer than the other two. This is assuming all are loaded to a 130PF.  3 grains of Clays and a lead 200 gr SWC is really nice. Go with a G34 if you don't reload. All of my competition Glocks have sub 2 lb triggers. 

• 11 months later...

Until CO took over the planet, ESP was mostly CZ and 1911 types. Glock was the hotness in SSP. When the 320X optic ready came out, everybody showed up with them practically overnight. Now it’s split between the 320 and modded CZs. Pretty much anybody shooting a stock gun has a NV next to their name around here. 

I agree,  IDPA or USPSA, if you don't have a CO these days, you just aren't With It.

Us stick-in-the-mud iron sight shooters have a lot of Glock SSPs and 1911 ESPs.  

I see numbers of imitation Glocks* but not many SAOs other than 1911.

*If it is striker fired and made out of plastic, it is operationally no different from a Glock, just a matter of personal preference and low sales resistance.  MY glockoid is a Smith and Wesson. 

On 6/19/2021 at 1:58 PM, Jim Watson said:

*If it is striker fired and made out of plastic, it is operationally no different from a Glock, just a matter of personal preference and low sales resistance.  MY glockoid is a Smith and Wesson. 

I may have to steal that phrase.  While I have a Sig 320 I miss shooting my old M&P pro. The adjustable grip was a real blessing to me.

3 hours ago, MarkS_A18138 said:

But the crazy thing is CO has taken over our IDPA and USPSA.

Not crazy when you consider how much easier shooting target focused with a clear aiming point is compared to the old fashioned way.

Our brains are wired to focus on the target/threat.  Sights that force you to do the opposite are dumb.

BTW here's the signup summary for my next local USPSA match this Sunday

image.png.af154e3d8add51120b00358b667c82fb.png

Not only is carry optics dominating, nobody wants to shoot low capacity divisions.

CO hasn't destroyed SSP in IDPA locally but I think it's because there are far more noobs and casual shooters in it.  CO, however, is pretty equal and it's been a division for what, 3 years?

image.png.2c8e5f54419064766dd1988c0c908492.png

Edited by SGT_Schultz

• 7 months later...
On 6/3/2020 at 8:31 AM, Racinready300ex said:

Well, it's easier to spend $$$$$ on better gear, then just spend $ on ammo and $ on taking a class. 

My go to gun for SSP is a CZP10F. Won more overalls with it than all my other (more than a few) guns combined.