Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Gun Doesn't Matter

CClassForLife

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, shred said:

Well, you can pay a whole lot of money and be an IPSC "Patron" member and get a WS slot that way, assuming any such memberships are still available.

It was crass of me to say I could just get in by paying for a slot. For some reason I thought there were walk-on spots available like USPSA nats.

The good news is that there are at least 14 out of 52 slots that are designated for individual performance regardless of division shot. So as long as a person gets enough points from USPSA and IPSC nationals, the person can shoot any division of their choice. I'd think averaging top 10 for 3 of these events is good enough to make this cutoff. Though this might be a little murky because IPSC PCC and Handgun World Shoots are different, whereas USPSA groups them together.

WS point distribution has always varied somewhat, but if you can top 10 and shoot enough qualifiers, you should have no problem earning a slot to the Handgun WS, which has been by far the highest-demand one.  The other WS have been much easier to get into.  There are also pre-match slots available to sponsors.

Budget to hit a few IPSC Level 3 & 4's on the way too if you can.  How IPSC does things is just enough different from USPSA that some IPSC big match experience will come in very handy.  (US IPSC nationals is better than nothing, but not really the same thing.)

On 2/3/2021 at 9:41 PM, CClassForLife said:

Shooting PCC this year.

Main gun: G26 w/ MCK 26 SBR. 5.0 MOA SRO mounted with lower 1/3 LEAP

Backup: JP GMR-15 + SRO

I'm trying to wrap my head around this, trying to keep in mind the differences between a stock and a brace.

What I take out of Appendix D7 is that you can shoot a "handgun to carbine conversion" as a PCC if it has a stock but not if it has a "Sig brace or any variant thereof"

But if you stick a pistol in a carbine conversion with a stock (not a brace) you just created an SBR (with the hassles that come with a tax stamp)

Am I seeing this right?

I'm interested in this solely for my education as an RO, since it's probably a matter of time before someone shows up to a match I'm ROing with one.

11 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

I'm trying to wrap my head around this, trying to keep in mind the differences between a stock and a brace.

What I take out of Appendix D7 is that you can shoot a "handgun to carbine conversion" as a PCC if it has a stock but not if it has a "Sig brace or any variant thereof"

But if you stick a pistol in a carbine conversion with a stock (not a brace) you just created an SBR (with the hassles that come with a tax stamp)

Am I seeing this right?

I'm interested in this solely for my education as an RO, since it's probably a matter of time before someone shows up to a match I'm ROing with one.

Correct, under the special conditions of Appendix D8:

1. SBRs are permitted provided full compliance with state and federal laws
  2. Handgun to carbine conversions are allowed as long as they meet criteria in #6

#6 says: must have stock attached

10 minutes ago, CClassForLife said:

Correct, under the special conditions of Appendix D8:

1. SBRs are permitted provided full compliance with state and federal laws
  2. Handgun to carbine conversions are allowed as long as they meet criteria in #6

#6 says: must have stock attached

Right, stock.  Not a brace.

Please continue.  I'm learning quite a bit from you.

Thanks

Shot my first PCC match today. Unfortunately, the trigger stopped resetting after the second stage. Upon inspection, it seems as though the hammer gets caught on the hook thingy. My accuracy is complete trash, but my movement speed is okay. That being said, it's real hard to gauge where I stand when the trigger doesn't work and stage times are slower than shooting bolt action.

On the positive side of things, I lucked into some primers so I will most likely up my live round count this year.

Current things to do:

1. Fix GMR (screw it, just bought a Hiperfire ECL, don't want to worry about parts working)
  2. Shoot doubles to get an idea of how lightly I can hold the gun (no idea how fast the gun splits as the trigger kept malfunctioning)
  3. Shoot plate rack to get used to small transitions (no idea where my dot/barrel is during the tenth of a second after a shot)
  4. Shoot targets at a wide angle to practice swinging a rifle (getting used to indexing)
  5. Dryfire around a stage as fast as possible holding a rifle to eliminate movement hesitations (position entries into ports will take some adjustment)

Edited by CClassForLife
Bought a Hiperfire ECL trigger

• 1 month later...

Got my tax stamp and MCK. I dremeled the chassis for better hand clearance. The threaded bolt and gaffer tape is to mitigate frame wobble. Without the modifications, there's about an A zone worth of flex at 5 yards which is obviously unacceptable. With the modifications, I have to really force it to exhibit the same amount of barrel deviation. I'll see at my next match whether or not it maintains acceptable accuracy.

PXL_20210317_024811200.jpg

A picture including my two backup ARs.

PXL_20210317_024902565.jpg

Edited by CClassForLife

I haven't shot a match in a few years now, but occasionally browse the forum for interesting topics... this has been one of my favorites I have come across in a very long time.  Congratulations on your journey, I hope to see more from you in the future.

The MCK 26 is a blast to shoot. I wasn't confident with it at all for the first two stages. On my first stage, the weight and length of the magazine made it feel like it was wobbling out with every shot. This made me worry about it unseating and I overran a position from the mental error (about 5 seconds lost). On the second stage, I threw an extra shot at all the long targets wasting another 2-3 seconds. Overall, if I kept the same hits but adjusted the times, it would basically be tied with my backup ARs in placement (also function tested my FMP, which ran great).

Long story short, won overall with my backup and 4th place with the MCK. 1st/2nd in PCC. I think I easily got another 30% to unlock.

https://practiscore.com/results/new/130675?q_division=0&q_result=0&q_individual=0

• 5 weeks later...

After shooting Dragon's Cup and squadding with Max Michel, I've had a bit of an introspective moment. The thing about shooting that I enjoyed the most (besides the comradery) was the pursuit of improvement. I'm content with the distance covered throughout my journey thus far. I'm no longer addicted to improving my shooting, and if that's the case, then I have to realize that it's time for something else.

That something is golf. I've never played in my life, but there's an unescapable appeal to getting good at something that I'm complete garbage at. My goal is to average in the 70s using only a 1 iron.

Thank you for viewing this thread and take care.

-Tony

10 hours ago, CClassForLife said:

After shooting Dragon's Cup and squadding with Max Michel, I've had a bit of an introspective moment. The thing about shooting that I enjoyed the most (besides the comradery) was the pursuit of improvement. I'm content with the distance covered throughout my journey thus far. I'm no longer addicted to improving my shooting, and if that's the case, then I have to realize that it's time for something else.

That something is golf. I've never played in my life, but there's an unescapable appeal to getting good at something that I'm complete garbage at. My goal is to average in the 70s using only a 1 iron.

-Tony

wow. I have truly enjoyed following this thread and your progress. Ordinarily, most would say you have little chance at achieving your next goal but given your shooting experience, I say go for it. Good luck

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/20/2021 at 6:51 PM, CClassForLife said:

-Tony

Come back. Even if you post about your golf journey I believe you have given insights that apply everywhere.

wow i just read through this thread--did he just say that he was done with uspsa and is now taking up golf? I've got a long way to go to get to his level of competitiveness.