Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Gun Doesn't Matter

CClassForLife

On 8/23/2022 at 8:03 PM, CClassForLife said:
  • Compensator doesn't seem to be good enough. Gun cycles completely fine with factory ammo. I went down a rabbit hole studying compensator physics, and I have an intuition that the direction of gases doesn't matter. I think it's a byproduct of increased surface area normal to the gas flow that actually influences compensator/muzzle brake efficiency. In short, it's best to pick a design that maximizes force transfer to the muzzle device which means less is transferred to the slide itself. I bought another Precision Armament HyperTap, and I'm confident that it will provide vastly superior recoil mitigation even though the gases vent perpendicular to muzzle rise.

You can test your intuition pretty easily by clocking the compensator to a few different positions and comparing how it fires, assuming the compensator is actually doing its job which may not be the case with your current one. For rifles it's pretty common to see them clocked slightly to tune the recoil impulse. Tilting barrel handguns are obviously a bit more complicated. Practically speaking, the vents have to point in some direction and other considerations (obfuscating the shooter's vision, disturbing anything below the gun) tend to make facing them primarily horizontally the best option.

Edited by crg

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tested it last Friday and turns out I'm a dummy. The SP comp is better than the PA muzzle brake. The latter was more efficient (robbed more energy that would have went to the slide) but return wasn't as fast. Plus the brake had crazy aggressive baffles that felt like it was spewing debris into my hands. This combined with a narrow operating range of recoil spring force (<11 had FTF and >11 had FTE) makes the PA brake no bueno for this application.

• 3 weeks later...

Boring Gear Update

Takedown lever for the P320 broke after less than two thousand major rounds. This coupled with the fact that slightly modified P320 mags work in CZ TS frame guns means I'll be pivoting to my backup gun (CZ Czechmate). The slide to frame fit is very tight at the moment and will require a few hundred rounds to break in (occasional failure to return to battery). Area 4 this Friday, followed by North Texas Open the week after. Not a fan of doing so much self-induced tinkering but should be in a stable gear period after tomorrow.

Odds and ends I learned about the Czechmate platform

• It's cheaper and less of a hassle to buy Sig 21rd P320 mags coupled with Springer Precision 170mm mag extensions. This gives a reliable 28 (have to verify +1 consistency) or 27 reloadable for less than $100 per mag. Also, it's easier to reload P320 mags as they are more rounded than the boxy TS mags. No mag tuning needed. I came to this experiment because P320 and TS mags share the same Henning T-900 shape profile.
  • Thumb safety options aren't very good. I find the CZC ones to ride too low for my liking. The CZ large custom ambi safety from IPSCAlex is what I settled on but would prefer one that engaged at a more upright position.
  • Off the shelf thumb rest options aren't very good either. I drilled the Gunsmith Ed of the Opposable Extreme on the left side and the Evil Hand on the right side. Both are converted to M4x0.7 by drilling 4.5mm thru holes.
  • Sidewinder blank version for the slide racker. I filed down the surfaces till it could slide in the dovetail, then tapped for the M4 set screw from the factory Czechmate slide racker.
  • I tried the IPSCAlex optic mount but it caused my slide to seize up due to the clamping pressure (screws were filed to correct length). I find the CZC optic mount better as tapping holes on the right side of the gun is no longer necessary, plus it is plenty rigid.
  • Adding LOK full weight brass grips puts the gun at around 51 oz.
  • Cajun Gunworks floating trigger pin is awesome (just a dab of red Loctite on one side is good enough to keep it in place). Don't be a dummy like me and try to use the factory trigger pin to destroy a brand new trigger as it's flared on the ends.
  • Winchester Autocomp 7.1 gr, CCI 500/550 small pistol primer, Precision Delta 124 gr JHP V2, Blazer casing, OAL 1.13 +/- 0.005 averages 173 PF (500 ft elevation and 100 F)

image.png.08330a1cf49602106224a8dd830cbaa9.png

image.png.729f5f30fbc44bcd0a6d43579b181ed2.png

Thanks for all the updates and videos Tony, you are the reason I can't use my excuse of being a weak asian man that can't grip a polymer gun and mitigate its recoil. xD All my guns are 50+ oz but I am assuming I am trying to use a bandaid for a bad habit I need to focus on. I been doing grip workouts and the "iron fist" training which is just working with a bucket full of rice but I am curious what your outlook would be for someone who really is struggling on gripping the gun the manage the recoil than to use a heavy gun. 

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, BRuss said:

Can you elaborate on the modification? Is it just opening up the mag catch slots? Thanks

I currently use a modified Shadow 2 mag catch with P320 mags notched in the appropriate places. I did this because I wanted to reliably feed JHP and had a bunch of P320 mags. MBX is rumored to be making Czechmate mags soon so I wouldn't recommend what I did for everyone.

26 minutes ago, UpYoursPal said:

So it sounds like the gun did, in fact, matter

Yeah, it mattered to my bank account 😅

The right hand only gets the G26. Left gets the fun stuff. Have a 2011 incoming. From an outside perspective, it seems like I gave up on the G26, but I'm ensuring my right hand is always faster. All this is a roundabout way to train my weak hand without burning out.

• 2 months later...

Due to a combination of circumstances, I find myself shooting PCC in order to qualify for the 2026 PCC World Shoot. I won a TR9 and GMR15 certificate at the PrairieFire match. The certificate was used towards a JP5 with the wait being roughly 14 weeks. My buddy has one so I asked to shoot it side by side with the TR9. After one shot, I decided to sell the Taran and buy a JP5 from ShootersConnection. Originally, this was supposed to be my wife's gun, but it's hard to beat convenience. I can literally show up dressed like an accountant and shred stages. No gun belt, no extra gear, no extra weight. So that's why I'm a PCC shooter now. (I'll continue to train handguns with both hands with the occasional match).

Currently, I just made GM for PCCO in steel challenge with a time of 73.44. This is my on demand performance shooting my KP-9. My goal is sub-40 peak (I realize that the current world record is ~51) and perhaps low 50s on demand. This is a secondary goal but feels like a necessary prerequisite for what I ultimately want to accomplish.

24 minutes ago, sx2gl35 said:

Which model: competition or steel challenge?

I have the steel challenge model and a 10.5" SBR with the side charger.

The new MLOK handguard with the grippy texture is super nice.

In terms of setup, my current preferences are:

- BCM Mod 3 Grip

- BCM Mod 0 Stock

- Sig Romeo3 Max 6 MOA

- Crimson Trace CTS-1400 Lower 1/3 Riser

- Techwell JP5 Magwell

- Glock OEM 33 magazines (I purposefully load to 32 rounds to get used to IPSC)

Everything else is factory.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2023 at 7:49 PM, CClassForLife said:

Due to a combination of circumstances, I find myself shooting PCC in order to qualify for the 2026 PCC World Shoot. I won a TR9 and GMR15 certificate at the PrairieFire match. The certificate was used towards a JP5 with the wait being roughly 14 weeks. My buddy has one so I asked to shoot it side by side with the TR9. After one shot, I decided to sell the Taran and buy a JP5 from ShootersConnection. Originally, this was supposed to be my wife's gun, but it's hard to beat convenience. I can literally show up dressed like an accountant and shred stages. No gun belt, no extra gear, no extra weight. So that's why I'm a PCC shooter now. (I'll continue to train handguns with both hands with the occasional match).

This is all interesting to hear.  Wanna buy a MPX?

The advantages of PCC that you said are all reasons I enjoy PCC! I'll quote myself...  

"PCC is Open Minor Long" 

The all action division

-Brian Harrington

6 minutes ago, Bdh821 said:

This is all interesting to hear.  Wanna buy a MPX?

The advantages of PCC that you said are all reasons I enjoy PCC! I'll quote myself...  

"PCC is Open Minor Long" 

The all action division

-Brian Harrington

Damn, you still trying to offload your relics? 😛

You can shoot one of my JP-5s for Dragon's Cup.

6 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

All the lefty PCC shooters are rejoicing.  

image.png.daa74232bda8ccf6148e57a1de6253dc.png

If we're talking about Dragons Cup, Max will smoke me.  I'll be going to DC with basically no matches prior for practice.  Winter sucks haha

I'm gonna shoot a sub2000

Edited by Bdh821

1 minute ago, CClassForLife said:

On a side note, I literally just bought a sub2k for the memes. If you're actually shooting that, then I'll join you.

The two of  you would figure it out, place high, then the new hotness would be Sub2000s........

Can't wait!