Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Gun Doesn't Matter

CClassForLife

59 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

I'm just going to throw this out there, is it legal to just make another number under a fake name?

This is a good point. I scanned through the rulebook and the only thing I can see is 10.6.1 which might disqualify me from matches due to it being interpreted as dishonesty. However, I'm curious if I just use my real name, then what's preventing me from doing so?

I asked USPSA directly for clarification and will update the thread accordingly.

Edited by CClassForLife

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, CClassForLife said:

This is a good point. I scanned through the rulebook and the only thing I can see is 10.6.1 which might disqualify me from matches due to it being interpreted as dishonesty. However, I'm curious if I just use my real name, then what's preventing me from doing so?

I asked USPSA directly for clarification and will update the thread accordingly.

Yeah, I don't see any problem with what you're doing and USPSA should like it you're paying for two memberships and padding their numbers. But...better safe the sorry. 

What ever you do don't involve he who must not be named or s#!t will go sideways fast. 

On 10/26/2020 at 2:01 AM, hugh said:

I saw the interview you did with Humble Marksman and came here and read the whole diary.

You are indomitable. Your utter fearlessness - not recklessness- is simply impressive. 

Some would say you're tilting at windmills but I'd disagree. You are attacking a vertical learning curve.

Not many people have turned on a light as bright for me but you certainly have. I have some thinking to do!

Thank you, and Bravo. sir!

Same here as well.

This is one of the most interesting threads I've ever read on USPSA.  Though I am just starting out at the bottom (14 matches; D class in Production) I have enjoyed reading through your journey with a G26.  Congrats on your finish and I can't wait to read about more progress.

On 10/22/2020 at 9:45 AM, CClassForLife said:

In the short term, I'm switching to my non-dominant hand until I can lay down M classifiers in Open. It's more of a curiosity to experience what having zero muscle memory and my current knowledge can lead to. Also, it will be useful to diagnose what parts of the fundamental building process is most important to my performance.

It has been super interesting and inspiring to watch your journey.  A true confirmation that we can only hold ourselves accountable from doing extraordinary things. 

I like the experiment with the non-dominant hand.  It will be interesting to watch what you have learned over the past year carry over to if it will accelerate your abilities with the non-dominant hand.  

I just watched your Humble Marksman interview. I'm digging your non-traditional approach to training. It's pretty refreshing to see someone actually think outside the box and have the results to back it up. I'm sure there will be haters that want to see you fail simply for training differently.  

21 hours ago, Stafford said:

After watching the Humble Marksman video, I'm considering flying through my next match as fast as possible. Don't know if it's a good idea or not, but I'll never know if I don't try. Might be fun. 

I think it may depend what you consider a good idea. My guess is your results will suffer, the question will be do you learn something. 

On 11/2/2020 at 12:35 PM, Stafford said:

After watching the Humble Marksman video, I'm considering flying through my next match as fast as possible. Don't know if it's a good idea or not, but I'll never know if I don't try. Might be fun. 

You have to break it before you can fix it

I have similar issues to you when you began. I would go too fast and rack up too many D/M's. I've been trying to ease up and get hits on targets I know are more difficult to correct this.

The approach you take is to stay at that speed and learn to see faster?

1 hour ago, lroy said:

I have similar issues to you when you began. I would go too fast and rack up too many D/M's. I've been trying to ease up and get hits on targets I know are more difficult to correct this.

The approach you take is to stay at that speed and learn to see faster?

I believe you have to be in the right mindset in order to benefit from going at near-reckless speed. If you were to take my advice and merely hope that by doing so you'll get better, then it's probably going to end in wasted ammo and frustration. You have to have a solid, accurate foundation to build off of.

For me, I did this by first shooting an entire match trying to get all Alphas. I observed what my eyes and mind were seeing. "Am I going too slow? Do I need to speed up?" These were the thoughts coursing through my head. It was only when these thoughts went away and I could shoot the match on autopilot did I truly understand what's needed.

Shooting as fast as I physically could had glimpses of this realization, but I'm not so sure I would have picked up on these subtle nuggets if I weren't in a completely observant mental state. Therefore, I think it's necessary to get into that state as efficiently as possible in order to get the most out of "going as fast as you can without any regard to accuracy." In my experience, the most efficient way to get to that state was to shoot matches as fast as I could until I could consistently finish a stage and realize that I didn't think for a moment during shooting it. Note that if you feel frustrated at all after shooting a match this way, then I don't think you're in that observant state yet. You have to know that you threw a Mike here, a Delta there, a NS here and be completely aware that you're doing so. If you're merely going as fast as possible, but you have no idea what hits or misses you got after running a stage, then you're just slinging lead.

As long as you know (and not think) that you're being observant, then I firmly believe that going as fast as possible will lead to "seeing faster." (I don't think that one's eye speed markedly changes here, but target acquisition and confirmation are the things that get significantly faster.)

Hope that clears it up little.

------

Area 59 Championship is cancelled. Gonna take an off-season. See ya guys in 2021.

• 2 months later...

Shooting PCC this year.

Main gun: G26 w/ MCK 26 SBR. 5.0 MOA SRO mounted with lower 1/3 LEAP

Backup: JP GMR-15 + SRO

I have no experience shooting rifles, so I thought it would be a good idea to learn how to use one. I'll be shooting Area 4 and PCC Nationals. I might shoot one or two local matches to function test. Otherwise, I'm limiting myself to 2K rounds this season (gonna test to see how far I can get with dry-fire alone).

Goal in 2021: Top 10 PCC Nationals

2 hours ago, TheChewycookie said:

Interesting change from your original subgoals. Are you treating this year as an pure experiment year? I ask since CO and PCC share the same Nationals this year.

In terms of subgoals, I've already achieved up to 2022. Unfortunately, this kind of killed my desire to improve and I haven't shot a gun in months. I guess part of me feels that I proved what I wanted to prove and the effort it would take to get to number 1 doesn't align with my current priorities. 

So to answer your question, I'm treating 2021 as a serious experiment year. I want to test a few things out. Primarily, how far can I get starting from square 1 (but with a map of how to train efficiently). Also, can it be done with a minimal amount of rounds? I literally have no idea what a PCC feels like to shoot. Funnily enough, I don't see this as a detour to my ultimate goal as I could win the world shoot with a G26 SBR...(yes I realize how dumb this sounds).

---

P.S. Nice progress with your shooting so far. Dazhi is one of the best CO shooters in the world (my money is on him winning Nats), so that's a tough measuring stick.

Edited by CClassForLife

If you need to borrow a GMR15 let me know.

And I can understand you. You achieved more in a few years of shooting, in your own way, than 95% of shooters ever will in uspsa. I can see how you'd be bored/satisfied and want something new.

6 hours ago, CClassForLife said:

In terms of subgoals, I've already achieved up to 2022. Unfortunately, this kind of killed my desire to improve and I haven't shot a gun in months. I guess part of me feels that I proved what I wanted to prove and the effort it would take to get to number 1 doesn't align with my current priorities. 

Funnily enough, I don't see this as a detour to my ultimate goal as I could win the world shoot...

Since your dream is winning the 2026 WS, how about changing your subgoals to attending the 2023 WS?

You could shoot US IPSC nationals in Production Optics this year, which will mean pushing hard to guarantee the remaining points in 2022.

I understand experimenting in another division. For me, it was a temporary distraction for 2 months that caused me to really want to get better at CO.

I just stumbled on to this thread. Very interesting. I knew there was some crazy guy shooting a G26 at the GM level but didn't know there was a thread here about it. Or that he started out in C class. 

Man you do you. I mean, your gonna get crazy looks and stuff but oh well. Though, I won't lie. Had I seen this thread when you started I would have comented you're crazy and probably said/thought hope you like C class. You're a very good shooter so you're gonna shoot anything well. Though, It's still hard for me not to think the 26 held you back at least a little. Saying that, I had people ask me if I was really gonna shoot the gun I shot all year. They couldn't believe I was really going to shoot that gun but I knew it worked well for me and I had a ton of confidence. I almost felt like it was the gun I shot best. (I've tried them all).and in a sense, the gun does matter! So, not sure if that's how you felt about the 26 but if it is, I can relate. 

I think you'll kill with the PCC. Good pistol shooters can transfer over to the PCC side way better than the flip side to that. 

Good luck. 

Edited by B_RAD

2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

If you need to borrow a GMR15 let me know.

And I can understand you. You achieved more in a few years of shooting, in your own way, than 95% of shooters ever will in uspsa. I can see how you'd be bored/satisfied and want something new.

Thanks Rowdy. I'll keep that in mind.

1 hour ago, TheChewycookie said:

Since your dream is winning the 2026 WS, how about changing your subgoals to attending the 2023 WS?

You could shoot US IPSC nationals in Production Optics this year, which will mean pushing hard to guarantee the remaining points in 2022.

I understand experimenting in another division. For me, it was a temporary distraction for 2 months that caused me to really want to get better at CO.

I'll just pay for the entry and plane ticket. I got some international buddies shooting IPSC that I would visit even if there wasn't a competition. As for the PCC stuff, I think there's definitely something to be learned that would carry over to handguns. Specifically, I want to test getting rid of what I call the "second delay". The first delay is registering that my eye focus is on exactly the point I'm looking at. The second delay is registering that the dot is within acceptable precision to that focus point. I believe that shooting PCC will help me get the confidence to bypass the second delay. I think it's ultimately a mistake to wait for dot confirmation once one's index is precise enough (to the point where I will eventually shoot without one).

@B_RAD

Thanks Jason, your performance at Nats was perhaps the most impressive of the field. I was rooting for you to take down Max haha. I see the 26 as not holding me back, but showing light on where I suck the most. I think skills are independent of platform. To me, it was all about choosing the path that made me better faster.

13 hours ago, CClassForLife said:

Shooting PCC this year.

Main gun: G26 w/ MCK 26 SBR. 5.0 MOA SRO mounted with lower 1/3 LEAP

This is even more hilarious than the plain G26 in CO. Please post match videos, I can't wait to see guys with tuned MPXs and short-stroked JP GMRs getting trounced by a meme gun.  This thread is possibly my favorite thread of all time on Enos. Major kudos for your drive and dedication and absolutely off the wall methods. You can't argue with performance though...

1 hour ago, CClassForLife said:

Specifically, I want to test getting rid of what I call the "second delay". The first delay is registering that my eye focus is on exactly the point I'm looking at. The second delay is registering that the dot is within acceptable precision to that focus point. I believe that shooting PCC will help me get the confidence to bypass the second delay. I think it's ultimately a mistake to wait for dot confirmation once one's index is precise enough (to the point where I will eventually shoot without one).

I know the first delay was what you were working on with just focusing on the pieces of tape. 

I understand the 2nd delay and is something I've been wanting to work on myself and drop the delay time, mixing together with footstep timing.

Good luck this year.

4 hours ago, CClassForLife said:

@B_RAD

Thanks Jason, your performance at Nats was perhaps the most impressive of the field. I was rooting for you to take down Max haha. I see the 26 as not holding me back, but showing light on where I suck the most. I think skills are independent of platform. To me, it was all about choosing the path that made me better faster.

Hey man, some times you gotta go your own way. I get it. 

Max is gonna be tough for anyone to beat. The guy is just that good!