Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taylor FReelance Goliath Ext.- Anything needed to make them run good?

I just ordered a couple of the 20 rd extensions.  Is there anything that needs to be done to the magazine to make them run good or are they GTG right away?  If something needs to be done are their any good videos showing how it is done?

Thanks!

OAL is the key - I run Federal Pacific 124g which is a little long according to TF.  They told me to give it a try and I could return if it didn't work.  Works 100% - 500+ rounds, I don't use it a lot based on the stage.  I hear they make a +30.  

That didn't answer the question - I made no modifications to the mag to make it work.  I use OEM Glock.  

Good luck.

Phil

Edited by philmadxx
18 hours ago, minnesota1 said:

I just ordered a couple of the 20 rd extensions.  Is there anything that needs to be done to the magazine to make them run good or are they GTG right away?  If something needs to be done are their any good videos showing how it is done?

Thanks!

I have one for my MPX- and it runs flawless= right out of the package- Reloads

My reloads are MG JHP's at 1.125", and they run great.  I also run Speer Lawman 115 grn. TMJ's which are longer than TF recommends, but they run.

I did have to bevel the followers on both mags to get them to work initially, but that is the norm with a most Glock base pads.

1 hour ago, minnesota1 said:

Thanks for the answers, so if using factory ammo I shouldn't have to modify anything,

Some factory ammo is long, depending on bullet weight and type.  None of the factory ammo that I have bought is short enough to match the recommendations.  Several firms recommend no longer than 1.125" with their extensions.

Even though this is not what you asked, I've found the ETS 40 round mags to be flawless with any length up to 1.150".  The may function with longer, but I haven't tried.

I've also found that fully loaded mags of 47 capacity such as the MBX extension tend to pull the mag down and wobble back and forth when fired.  The ETS don't do that because they are so much shorter and lighter.

On 5/6/2020 at 2:33 PM, minnesota1 said:

Thanks for the answers, so if using factory ammo I shouldn't have to modify anything, but if reloading I need to be mindful of the COAL as that may cause a hang up.

Thanks!

No - you have to check the length of factory ammo too - it can vary.  I use Fed AE9AP, it is technically slightly longer than what TF specifies but works fine.  They specifically call out Winchester white box as causing problems.  

Good tips in that video for sure......those tips work for any extended magazine.

Josh mentioned about a certain extension that just clips on the bottom lips (yeah, we all know it's the MBX)......they easy fix for that is one of two things. 1) tape the joint with electrical tape or duct tape OR 2) use electrical shrink wrap to seal the joint. In both cases.....once the extension is on the magazine.....it should never have to come off again as the bottom plate is removable for cleaning.

This was never really a big surprise, when I designed the original PMAG extension while at Nordic, we saw the same issue and brought the extension up over the mag for more support (but being polymer, we still recommended taping up the joint). Knowing that, I design the TACCOM extension overlapping the parent mag as well.....but this time, being aluminum....not tape was required.

• 1 month later...
Good tips in that video for sure......those tips work for any extended magazine.
Josh mentioned about a certain extension that just clips on the bottom lips (yeah, we all know it's the MBX)......they easy fix for that is one of two things. 1) tape the joint with electrical tape or duct tape OR 2) use electrical shrink wrap to seal the joint. In both cases.....once the extension is on the magazine.....it should never have to come off again as the bottom plate is removable for cleaning.
This was never really a big surprise, when I designed the original PMAG extension while at Nordic, we saw the same issue and brought the extension up over the mag for more support (but being polymer, we still recommended taping up the joint). Knowing that, I design the TACCOM extension overlapping the parent mag as well.....but this time, being aluminum....not tape was required.

Trubl,
What is the length of your Glock mag extension (in inches)?
Also, does the ammo have to be under any specific OAL to function reliably?
I normally run 1.140” OAL for all my 9mm ammo, I’d rather not have to change it if possible.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
20 hours ago, Cuz said:

Trubl,
What is the length of your Glock mag extension (in inches)?
Also, does the ammo have to be under any specific OAL to function reliably?
I normally run 1.140” OAL for all my 9mm ammo, I’d rather not have to change it if possible.

Thanks.

OAL don't mean a thing for our extension......if it runs in the parent mag, it will run in our extension. 

The extension will add about 5.8" to the OAL of the magazine

Tim

We are presently out of stock.......and I believe this makes for a good opportunity for us to redesign them, using delrin over aluminum as we've found that is a much slippery material to use for these extreme length extensions.

Tim

11 minutes ago, TRUBL said:

OAL don't mean a thing for our extension......if it runs in the parent mag, it will run in our extension. 

Tim

We are presently out of stock.......and I believe this makes for a good opportunity for us to redesign them, using delrin over aluminum as we've found that is a much slippery material to use for these extreme length extensions.

Tim

The Delrin +20 extension for my MPX has been working without any problems since day one. I’m very happy with it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2020 at 7:44 AM, TRUBL said:

Those Nordic's are a real throwback. My buddy Dewberry ran his forever and the tape was always fun to chat about. It always worked though!

On 6/22/2020 at 7:11 AM, TRUBL said:

Tim

Tim

And they are in stock.....and made out of delrin now

40 minutes ago, Cuz said:

Are they still available in aluminum? Or is it just Deleon from now on?

Delrin only......friction free. Afraid of polymer magazines? like magpul, lancer, etc, MPX, etc?

Delrin only......friction free. Afraid of polymer magazines? like magpul, lancer, etc, MPX, etc?

No, not at all, just a preference for aluminum. I’m sure I’ll end up ordering at least one of your Delrin extensions soon enough.

18 hours ago, Cuz said:

No, not at all, just a preference for aluminum. I’m sure I’ll end up ordering at least one of your Delrin extensions soon enough.

I always had that feeling as well.......till we started doing extension prototypes that we had intended to be made from aluminum.....on the 3d printer. The prototype would work great, but once we went to the mill with aluminum.....we found that brass and aluminum don't play well together....even if you anodized the aluminum. We saw a tremendous amount of drag. So, one day we happen to have some thicker delrin (for another project).......and get basically a hold my beer and watch this thing. WOW......the inherent properties of the delrin as far as friction goes was next to nothing!!! We decided at that point all new extension designs would be delrin. Now our first one.....we kinda when overboard on the bulky side for the MPX and that thing has been flawless. The new Glock was slimmed down, just a little bigger than the aluminum design....but boy oh boy.....they feed well!! We are going back to re-design the exterior of the MPX and coming out with one for the AKV as well. Yeah, we will probably never do another mega capacity extension out of aluminum again. The bonus of doing delrin from a manufacturing point is tool wear is practically zero, no post surface process and faster machine times.......what this means is we can offer a better feeding product for less cost.