Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with 3 Gun Rifle Barrel Selection

Broncos79

I'm in the 18" camp. The main reason is the ability to run a rifle-length gas system, which will result in just a little bit softer of a recoil impulse, all other things being equal. It's a fairly minor advantage, admittedly, but I've found that there aren't many drawbacks to it. Length hasn't ever been an issue; there's a bit of extra weight, but I've always prioritized balance over minimizing total weight - an 18" barrel with a light handguard balances pretty well with the weight of an adjustable/customizable stock (XLR, Luth-AR, Tacmod, etc.), since those tend to be pretty chunky. The little bit of extra velocity isn't a deciding factor, but it doesn't hurt.

I'll note that there are some regional variations in play here. In some regions, rifle targets beyond 200 yards are rare, and almost everything is fast, close-in hoser-style targets in a smaller bay. This kind of thing really doesn't matter that much there. I'm in Texas, so even our local club matches have shots out to 500 yards, and every major seems to have multiple stages with targets between 300 and 600 yards. Lighter recoil that doesn't disturb a sight picture as much, a little bit of extra velocity, and a fancy adjustable stock that helps ensure consistent cheek weld and head positioning in awkward shooting positions are all assets in a region that emphasizes long-range rifle... it adds up to a few different very soft preferences in favor of an 18"/rifle gas setup, and I haven't noticed any major downsides, so I tend to stick with that.

Since OP also asked about manufactures, I've got a Rainier ultramatch barrel in my current build, and it's been pretty good. I don't frequently dedicate time to benchrest-style group shooting to measure accuracy, but I've noticed during optic zeroing that it's a shade under 1 MOA with good match ammo. A buddy has a Criterion that seems to shoot really well, and some top-level shooters seem to like those. I think that the "MOA Challenge" or whatever it is over on ARFCOM is kind of silly, and is mostly a publicity gimmick for LaRue, but that might be a good resource to see which manufacturers have good reputations for inherent accuracy.

On 3/29/2020 at 3:51 PM, usmc1974 said:

When I first started shooting my 10.5 AR with the short brace, it didn't take long for me to figure out you don't put your hand too far forward on the handguard you will feel the heat of that dragon breath compensator. lol.... did not burn me but I didn't have to do it anymore. Put the little knob on the end so that I knew in my hand was. I don't believe I'd want any of the compensator holes underneath to handguard

Yeah I always put something up front as a hand stop... a Mlok QD, a section of rail, even though Magpul rubber Picatinny rail covers can be cut up. With my really short pistol (9") I use a barricade block. Very paranoid about shooting my hand. 

Edited by Frankly

I have 18" and 16" barrels.  I do like both and seem to shoot them equally well though the 18" rifle gas barrel seems softer shooting long range targets.

I have 5 Odin works barrels now and Odin Works has a sub moa guarantee.  All my barrels shoot sub moa.  I have never met an unhappy Criterion barrel owner either and I have wanted to get one for a long time.  2 moa is something I would not be happy with.  I shot 68's for a while but find that 75 and 77 grain bullets shoot better.  There are other barrels that are awesome but that is my experience.  The main reason I kept buying more Odin barrels is because I would get them on sale at Primary Arms for about $200.  That probably won't happen at this particular moment.

I watched the Criterion barrel youtube series on accurizing the AR and I am 100% convinced it makes a difference.  That is how I assemble now.  After you do a few of these you will get more comfortable.

https://criterionbarrels.com/media/accurizing-the-ar-15-video-series/

I am in the Odin Works barrel camp. I currently run their 18" 3gun rifle barrel. I get subMOA at 100yrds with 55gr American Eagle ammo. I have been greatly impressed with the accuracy of this barrel.  Yes it's a heavy barrel but I honestly do not notice the weight when the time starts. 

On 3/29/2020 at 9:51 AM, kurtm said:

So the same folks that say short barrels are the best for these Bay stages are the same ones that say you need at least a 26" long shotgun barrel with a 12 round tube sticking out 6-8" past the barrel, and I have yet to have any one tell me that their shotgun is unwieldy. I run 20" barrels on my ARs and I have yet to feel that it is too long on any stage.

This is pure gold my friend. :)

Back to the thread, I've run everything from 14.5" to 20". The shorter, lighter barrels tended to be more difficult to shoot positional with less mass keeping the gun in place. Ballistics are also worse once you start shooting at distance. I prefer heavier, longer barrels as well but I'm not physically dainty. Well, I shoot 223 for 3 Gun and use a scope but RELATIVELY speaking...not dainty. 

I like 20" government profile barrels with a 15" hand guard. My JP CTR-02s both have light contour 18" barrels (because a JP 20"light contour is a custom profile, he only does them occasionally and one person buys them all). I have never been in a situation where I thought my rifle was too long. I have also had my butt kicked in a shoot house by an old man with a full length M14, so it really is what you prefer and get used to.

Hurley

I know it's not financially feasible for everyone but there are also some pretty advanced lightweight barrels from say Proof or Dracos that handle shorter than they shoot if you have a light brake. Meaning a proof 16" handles like a sbr and a 18" handles at least as well as a traditional steel 16. You see plenty of top tier shooters going that direction.

I have a 12" Special Ops Tactical upper that has a mid length gas system. I have an adjustable gas block, JP LM BCG and a reduce buffer spring. Sure fire MB556 brake and the gun doesn't move and is MOA at 200. It sits on a tax stamp lower

I also have a Criterion 16" barrel with rifle gas with all the same parts as above. That rifle is a sub MOA gun. 

I would go with the Criterion 16" with rifle gas. 

1 hour ago, TonytheTiger said:

Optics Planet has them.

I really try to avoid slow as molasses OP but it says in stock and with Honey coupon they're $255 plus tax. Since we're not in a hurry that's a great deal. Thanks

Edited by Frankly

I've used Voodoo 16.5" rifle ultralight and Stretch16 16" intermediate. Hoping my next barrel can be one of these:

https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-ultramatch-mod2-223-wylde-intermediate-800-gas-block-tin-extension-16-polished-10960/

Trying to get one in Canada is tough, though. Sounds like US Feds are making exporting easier this year so maybe that will help.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the 18" bbl (with an adjustable gas block) which has a full length gas tube. This is soft shooting and is more versatile than the shorter bbls for matches that have targets out to 250+ yards. Believe this barrel is more accurate at longer ranges especially with 69 grain SMK bullets.

On 3/30/2020 at 9:43 AM, Steve133 said:

I'll note that there are some regional variations in play here. In some regions, rifle targets beyond 200 yards are rare, and almost everything is fast, close-in hoser-style targets in a smaller bay. This kind of thing really doesn't matter that much there. I'm in Texas, so even our local club matches have shots out to 500 yards, and every major seems to have multiple stages with targets between 300 and 600 yards. Lighter recoil that doesn't disturb a sight picture as much, a little bit of extra velocity, and a fancy adjustable stock that helps ensure consistent cheek weld and head positioning in awkward shooting positions are all assets in a region that emphasizes long-range rifle... it adds up to a few different very soft preferences in favor of an 18"/rifle gas setup, and I haven't noticed any major downsides, so I tend to stick with that.

region really matters.  My main rifle is an 18" medium-heavy contour BHW tube.  It's great, I love it, it's accurate, I know I get my hits out to 300 on the first time, every time.  

I also really love the pencil profile 16" on the rifle I built for Tactical Games (BA tube).  It's super light, quick, manueverable, and I get my hits out to 300 on the first time, every time.  

the shorty isn't as stable and doesn't keep the muzzle flat like the 18" does, but it's a .223, it's not like it has harsh recoil or uncontrollable muzzle rise in the first place.  I'll likely build another sister upper for my competition rifle with a pencil tubed 14.5 P&W for bay stages with a lighter optic, just to give me some flexibility.  

figure out what your local matches look like.  see what the top shooters run (not just the sponsored guys, but the best guys).  they got to choose their gear.  it's likely they put thought into it.  ask them why they chose it (my sponsor gave it to me is a BAD answer to copy).  If you're going to see lots of bay stages a lightweight 14.5" is the way to go.  if you're in texas or the plains plan on a nice 18" tube.  match your gear to your surroundings.  

Some folks accept sponsorship because they really believe in the product the manufacturer sells, not just take any old thing just for another cool logo on their shirt. Some folks get sponsored because they were really good before they got sponsored. Those folks get to pick who they represent.

As for barrel length, I am happy running a 20" barrel in any Bay stage, and I've never been behind anyone because of it, most times quite the opposite. Get what you like and be happy, 3-4 inches of barrel don't mean nothing except you do bleed off velocity quite a bit below 16", and even that don't mean much unless you have to make power factor like IPSC Rifle matches overseas.

1 hour ago, kurtm said:

Some folks accept sponsorship because they really believe in the product the manufacturer sells, not just take any old thing just for another cool logo on their shirt. Some folks get sponsored because they were really good before they got sponsored. Those folks get to pick who they represent.

I was in no way impugning sponsored shooters.  But good sponsorees are brand ambassadors.  they should believe in the product, and know why it's a solid product.  if the only answer is because it's free, its sometimes a sign they'd rather have something different.  not everyone gets everything they want all the time.