Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

People still waiting on Honchos...

avastcosmicarena

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/10/2020 at 1:46 PM, Carry9shoot40 said:

Got mine in and it shoots great!  I’m probably going to sell it though and go to SVI. 

Would you care to elaborate (not implying there's anything wrong with this) on your decision? 

On 5/6/2020 at 10:31 AM, RGC said:

I was almost ready to purchase an Atlas when it was sold so decided to get a Honcho with a similar color scheme.......Atlas I missed out on .....:

DSC_0910-scaled.jpg.59ccf5a7f73c5214bac20acbdd6693f5.jpg

That's my old gun! It was lights out perfect, I'd buy it back if I could find it. 

Mine (ordered on BF) arrived at my FFL last week, however I haven't had a chance to go pick it up yet.  Hoping to get some range time on Sunday.  BTW, One of my barrels was affected by the 'rainbow' issue with the coating vendor so it is getting shipped directly to me.

21 minutes ago, muncie21 said:

Mine (ordered on BF) arrived at my FFL last week, however I haven't had a chance to go pick it up yet.  Hoping to get some range time on Sunday.  BTW, One of my barrels was affected by the 'rainbow' issue with the coating vendor so it is getting shipped directly to me.

How long was your wait ? 

On 5/11/2020 at 3:34 PM, muncie21 said:

Would you care to elaborate (not implying there's anything wrong with this) on your decision? 

I just don't like it. I wrote the other out of my opinion so I deleted it. 

Edited by Carry9shoot40

4 hours ago, Carry9shoot40 said:

I just don't like it. I wrote the other out of my opinion so I deleted it. 

I read your original post.  Sorry to hear about your experience all the way around.  I have a buddy that now has 2.  He seems very happy with them.  Hopefully your SVI and future SVI are the answer to what you want.

9 hours ago, aandabooks said:

I read your original post.  Sorry to hear about your experience all the way around.  I have a buddy that now has 2.  He seems very happy with them.  Hopefully your SVI and future SVI are the answer to what you want.

Thanks, I am very happy now. 

On 5/12/2020 at 5:24 PM, muncie21 said:

Finally made it to my FFL to pick up my Honcho.  Overall the pistol looks great, slide feels super smooth when racking it. 

I noticed that it doesn't seem to like my STI magazines, either Gen 1 or 2, they dont drop immediately when the mag release is pressed like my other 2011s do.  The issue seems to be the relationship between the mag release and the slot in the mags.  I tried 5 or 6 mags that work fine in my STI guns and none would drop free reliably in the Honcho.  Since these work fine in my other pistols I"m going to pick up 1 or 2 MBX mags to try, before I start monkeying around and filing on perfectly good mags; I'm assuming the mag slots needs to be modified.

Another thing I noticed is that the Honcho magwell won't allow Dawson SNL basepads to fully seat.  I swapped the factory Honcho magwell with a Dawson that  I had laying around and the mags inserted and locked-in just fine, they just wouldn't drop free, as mentioned above.

Overall, at this point (in spite of the mag issue) I'm happy with the pistol. Planning to get some range time in this weekend to see how she runs/shoots.

IMG_1193.thumb.JPG.4893ef892265e2066a55706aea62c7f5.JPG

Edited by muncie21

25 minutes ago, muncie21 said:

Finally made it to my FFL to pick up my Honcho.  Overall the pistol looks great, slide feels super smooth when racking it. 

I noticed that it doesn't seem to like my STI magazines, either Gen 1 or 2, they dont drop immediately when the mag release is pressed like my other 2011s do.  The issue seems to be the relationship between the mag release and the slot in the mags.  I tried 5 or 6 mags that work fine in my STI guns and none would drop free reliably in the Honcho.  Since these work fine in my other pistols I"m going to pick up 1 or 2 MBX mags to try, before I start monkeying around and filing on perfectly good mags; I'm assuming the mag slots needs to be modified.

Another thing I noticed is that the Honcho magwell won't allow Dawson SNL basepads to fully seat.  I swapped the factory Honcho magwell with a Dawson that  I had laying around and the mags inserted and locked-in just fine, they just wouldn't drop free, as mentioned above.

Overall, at this point (in spite of the mag issue) I'm happy with the pistol. Planning to get some range time in this weekend to see how she runs/shoots.

It's known that these new self correcting magwells don't like the Dawson basepads. Taran basepads work fine though 

4 hours ago, muncie21 said:

My mbx mags drop free and seat just fine with the pt magwell

Got mine in and it shoots great!  I’m probably going to sell it though and go to SVI. 
So I'm the lucky guy that bought this gun from Carry9shoot40 and I couldn't be happier. I have put 800 rounds of 9 major through it in the last two days and it has been flawless. Shoots flat and very accurate. I just couldn't stop smiling at the range today! Definitely my favorite gun of all time!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, mwc said:

So I'm the lucky guy that bought this gun from Carry9shoot40 and I couldn't be happier. I have put 800 rounds of 9 major through it in the last two days and it has been flawless. Shoots flat and very accurate. I just couldn't stop smiling at the range today! Definitely my favorite gun of all time!

Happy for you Mark! Great deal for the both of us. I will say you got one hell of a deal;)

18 hours ago, mwc said:

Shot you an email regarding the Honcho you still had on order.  If you're still considering selling it, let me know.  Thanks.

I picked  up my Honcho from my FFL earlier in the week.  It came with the 9mm parts installed.  Since I shoot mostly limited major, I installed the .40 sight block barrel, recoil spring (I believe the one that ships with it is 11#) and .40 breach block, as it came with 9mm components installed.  I also replaced the PT factory magwell for a Dawson one I had laying around (posted about this earlier) as my STI mags with the Dawson SNL basepads wouldn't seat fully with the PT magwell. 

Took it to the range (finally) this afternoon for it's maiden voyage. Pleasantly surprised to run 100+ rounds (my reloads w/coated bullets) through with no malfunctions of any kind. Accuracy was fantastic; arguably better than any of my STIs, but this could just be my bias after waiting 5+ months for this rig to be built and be delivered. 

The  only issue  I have (posted about this earlier) is that my STI mags don't drop freely & consistently.  I have a PT grip on a STI frame that runs everything I have 100%, so I'm thinking there's a minor difference between the PT frame dimensions/tolerances and the STI.