Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

People still waiting on Honchos...

avastcosmicarena

What wait time are you at? When did you place your order?

I ordered on Veteran's Day weekend, but didn't pay the deposit (and made some changes to my order) until a week after that. The quoted timeframe was 10 weeks then. It later went to 12-14 weeks or 12-16 weeks during the Black Friday/Christmas sales.

It's been a bit over 4 months now, and I still have not received it. I got an email saying it should be on the way back from coating 3-4 weeks ago and paid my remaining balance & got my FFL to contact them a few days after that, but it still hasn't shipped, and communication hasn't been great.

I've heard they were having problems with a new shop doing the coating/anodizing/etc., but I'm starting to get annoyed/worried about whether or not I'm actually going to receive the thing with all of this COVID-19/coronavirus stuff ramping up.

Keep in mind: I was already slightly annoyed about the "2 free barrels for no extra charge" deals that came shortly after I placed my order, as they are essentially devaluing my and previous buyers' purchases, but such is life and many companies do things like that. (Though I do find it strange that they are doing this sale now even on random/small holidays, like St. Patrick's Day, when the Veteran's Day sale only included 1 free barrel... this being the gun industry and all)

Anyway, I just want the thing now. Who else is still waiting on theirs? Anyone have any info on the delays?

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered mine on black Friday and made some changes to options some time in Dec.  I also received the email about a delay caused by the new coating vendor. 

I started to get anxious in early March, when I didn't hear any updates on delivery timing.  However, now most USPSA matches in my area are cancelled, so I'm a little less anxious now.

11 hours ago, avastcosmicarena said:

What wait time are you at? When did you place your order?

I ordered on Veteran's Day weekend, but didn't pay the deposit (and made some changes to my order) until a week after that. The quoted timeframe was 10 weeks then. It later went to 12-14 weeks or 12-16 weeks during the Black Friday/Christmas sales.

It's been a bit over 4 months now, and I still have not received it. I got an email saying it should be on the way back from coating 3-4 weeks ago and paid my remaining balance & got my FFL to contact them a few days after that, but it still hasn't shipped, and communication hasn't been great.

I've heard they were having problems with a new shop doing the coating/anodizing/etc., but I'm starting to get annoyed/worried about whether or not I'm actually going to receive the thing with all of this COVID-19/coronavirus stuff ramping up.

Keep in mind: I was already slightly annoyed about the "2 free barrels for no extra charge" deals that came shortly after I placed my order, as they are essentially devaluing my and previous buyers' purchases, but such is life and many companies do things like that. (Though I do find it strange that they are doing this sale now even on random/small holidays, like St. Patrick's Day, when the Veteran's Day sale only included 1 free barrel... this being the gun industry and all)

Anyway, I just want the thing now. Who else is still waiting on theirs? Anyone have any info on the delays?

Brother I am in the "EXACT" same boat as you are... Waiting and waiting!  and yes, I am extremly annoyed with PT offer 2 barrels for "FREE!" but I'm in the process of contacting them directly to voice my concerns about them offering such a deal, which devalues my purchase but I only ordered 3 barrels with my setup up, 9mm minor, 9mm major and .40 caliber, don't care too much about the .38 SC~  with that being said, it doesn't hurt to have 1 extra barrel for free!  smh! 

Ordered and paid deposit 11/10 (19 weeks today, less Thanksgiving and Christmas weeks would be 17 working weeks). Also frustrated with the one vs two free barrels offers, but hoping to get another barrel added during my annual pit stop.

Paid in full 2/22 and confirmed my FFL doc was received.

Emailed and Tiff replied 3/4 the coater still backed up and she didn't have insight on status from them.

I emailed her again this past week but haven't heard back yet.  Assuming they don't have any status from their coating supplier either to share with us.

4 hours ago, muncie21 said:

I ordered mine on black Friday and made some changes to options some time in Dec.  I also received the email about a delay caused by the new coating vendor. 

I started to get anxious in early March, when I didn't hear any updates on delivery timing.  However, now most USPSA matches in my area are cancelled, so I'm a little less anxious now.

Same. As you ordered on Black Friday ffl  info given paid remaining balance will email on Monday on status

Ordered mine Black Friday sales as well.  They affirmed in Feb due date was March 9.....was told then they had their fingers crossed for 3 more weeks.

So puts me 10 more days to go.

I received mine 2 weeks ago and all I can say is it was worth the wait. Once you get yours, you will more than likely agree. I heard the coater hasn’t been sending out the orders in the order they were received. What color options did you guys pick for the guys waiting? 

I received mine 2 weeks ago and all I can say is it was worth the wait. Once you get yours, you will more than likely agree. I heard the coater hasn’t been sending out the orders in the order they were received. What color options did you guys pick for the guys waiting? 

When did you order? I get they aren’t in order due to the coater. Just curious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A private company offering a sale or offer at their discretion does not "devalue" your order, nor does it entitle you to anything else.  They can, and will, offer sales as they see fit.  I plan on ordering another Honcho in the near future, and am waiting for another sale myself, but I am not expecting anything, nor should you.  Was it frustrating that I ordered during the Veterans Day sale and then missed out on a better one?  Sure.  But, entitlement mentality isn't going to help.  They aren't under any obligation to release their sales schedules, or their offers.  They also don't have to offer anything, but they do.  Find another custom pistol manufacturer that is ding anything remotely like this....

The product speaks for itself, and while the wait may be frustrating, understand they are producing everything in house, and the coating company they are using has had some issues that affected QC.  I'm certain Tiffany will respond shortly, but since it bears on the conversation at hand, I received my Honcho about 3 weeks ago, after an extended wait due to coating issues.  There was a miscommunication with the order and the frame was not initially tapped for a mount.  I was able to ship it back and it was tapped and sent back to me in less than 48 hours.  There is not another company around that will jump through hoops for after purchase satisfaction like PT right now.  Be patient, ask questions, be understanding and polite, and you will be very pleased.  Or....feel free to call them and cancel your order, and I'll pay the deposit and balance and take it off your hands for you.    I am not employed by, nor represent PT.  I am just a regular guy that waited his turn, just like you, and can say, without a doubt, that you will be pleased when it arrives.   Be patient, and don't let this "quarantine"  eat you up. 

A private company offering a sale or offer at their discretion does not "devalue" your order, nor does it entitle you to anything else.  They can, and will, offer sales as they see fit.  I plan on ordering another Honcho in the near future, and am waiting for another sale myself, but I am not expecting anything, nor should you.  Was it frustrating that I ordered during the Veterans Day sale and then missed out on a better one?  Sure.  But, entitlement mentality isn't going to help.  They aren't under any obligation to release their sales schedules, or their offers.  They also don't have to offer anything, but they do.  Find another custom pistol manufacturer that is ding anything remotely like this....

The product speaks for itself, and while the wait may be frustrating, understand they are producing everything in house, and the coating company they are using has had some issues that affected QC.  I'm certain Tiffany will respond shortly, but since it bears on the conversation at hand, I received my Honcho about 3 weeks ago, after an extended wait due to coating issues.  There was a miscommunication with the order and the frame was not initially tapped for a mount.  I was able to ship it back and it was tapped and sent back to me in less than 48 hours.  There is not another company around that will jump through hoops for after purchase satisfaction like PT right now.  Be patient, ask questions, be understanding and polite, and you will be very pleased.  Or....feel free to call them and cancel your order, and I'll pay the deposit and balance and take it off your hands for you.    I am not employed by, nor represent PT.  I am just a regular guy that waited his turn, just like you, and can say, without a doubt, that you will be pleased when it arrives.   Be patient, and don't let this "quarantine"  eat you up. 

Agree and awesome to hear you’ve had yours a couple weeks. I’m in the Veterans Day orders also. So should be soon.

What's the difference between a barrel for 9mm Minor and Major ?

The major barrel has a 3 port comp and likely won’t run light ammo.

Minor barrel is a sight block barrel.

3 hours ago, Robertwil18 said:

Yeah, I get it. I don't think they owe me anything. Seeing an extra $500 discount appearing 2 weeks after your order and then reappearing over and over at every small holiday after that is just a little painful. It does, to a degree, actually devalue the product in terms of used value on the market if someone needed to sell it. It's worse for people who paid full price ($1000 difference). It would have been nice to offer discounts on extra barrels or add-on items or something to try to make up for the really aggressive discounts offered to later buyers. FWIW, there are quite a few companies out there (admittedly, maybe not custom 2011 builders) who do let customers know of upcoming sales. There are even big companies who will retroactively refund discount differences if something went on sale within 30 days after you ordered to try to make the buying experience better.

Anyway, I don't want to bitch about that too much. If the gun is as good as everyone says, most buyers, including myself, will probably never resell it, and missing out on a $500-$1000 discount isn't that big of a deal in the long run. It's mostly just the long wait and lack of information that's been annoying.

That's interesting that there are rumors about the coaters sending back things out of order due to color selections. This is something that I, as a customer who has already paid in full (a little under $5k), would like to know about, as I would probably change the color in order to get the gun faster. A color is a color. I chose something, but if it's going to hold up my order for a long time and something else isn't, it would be good to know about it so that I can make a decision. This is something I wouldn't even know about if I hadn't started this thread.

Beyond that, especially considering the quarantines and the run on normal household supplies, groceries, ammo, reloading components, etc. right now, it would have been nice to not have paid the balance until they actually had the gun back in hand and ready to ship. Saying it's on the way back from coating soon and it's time to pay the balance was a bit misleading, since it's been 3-4 weeks now and apparently they still don't even have it back in their possession.

I've tried to only ask questions through email in order to allow asynchronous communication, thinking that calling in to them is probably more bothersome and takes away more of their time working on things... but I'd often have to send 2nd, or even 3rd, emails just repeating questions that weren't answered in previous emails. That's frustrating considering email communication is async, and it's always technically possible to read through the email and take an extra 5 minutes to answer questions. I will admit I've asked a lot of questions, but that's primarily because certain things I was interested in (mounts for certain optics, for example) weren't available when I ordered.

Anyway, this thread isn't meant to attack them in any way. As long as I get the gun soon and there are no issues, I'll be happy. I'm just wondering what's going on and wanted to know if anyone else had ordered before me and is still waiting. It would also be good to know if anyone else ordered after me and has already received it, as that reveals that there is some sort of problem. Can the guys who received their gun in the last 2-4 weeks state when they placed the order?

Edited by avastcosmicarena

1 hour ago, PocketPistol said:

I assume 9mm major has compensator?

There are 3 9mm barrels:
- sight block with fiber optic sight, intended for minor
- single port comp, intended for minor (think 3 gun open gun, kinda like the Atlas Erebus)
- triple port comp, intended for major, but will still cycle down to something like 150-155 power factor.

The single port comp is for people who still want compensation but want to reliably run ammo below that 150-155 power factor area.... such as normal minor ammo in the 125-140 area.

Who is the coating company that PT is using?  Changing colors is a bothersome process for a coating company so I can see where they would likely want to run things in batches so as to minimize the change over process.  Odd colors might be the holdup waiting for enough parts to make it worthwhile to make the change.  I know that PT had several color options listed.

6 hours ago, IronicTwitch said:

I emailed her again this past week but haven't heard back yet.  Assuming they don't have any status from their coating supplier either to share with us.

Same here. You're probaby right, but communication should be better considering we've paid in full and cities are going on lockdown. It may be difficult for some of us to actually get the gun through an FFL soon. 

Even if it wasn't directly answering each of us in emails, they could post a status update on their website or on a forum like here to address more people at one time.

9 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

Who is the coating company that PT is using?  Changing colors is a bothersome process for a coating company so I can see where they would likely want to run things in batches so as to minimize the change over process.  Odd colors might be the holdup waiting for enough parts to make it worthwhile to make the change.  I know that PT had several color options listed.

I don't know what company they're using, but you may be right. I chose a color I haven't seen anyone else use yet, Champagne, because it looked like the closest thing they had to burnt bronze to me, and that's one of my favorites... but, honestly, if I knew it was going to hold things up for a long time, I'd happily change to Gold or Bronze, or maybe even a basic Red or something, if those are more common and will get done faster.

I don't know what company they're using, but you may be right. I chose a color I haven't seen anyone else use yet, Champagne, because it looked like the closest thing they had to burnt bronze to me, and that's one of my favorites... but, honestly, if I knew it was going to hold things up for a long time, I'd happily change to Gold or Bronze, or maybe even a basic Red or something, if those are more common and will get done faster.

Mine had no color. Just all black and it is held up just as long. I heard there was a large accident at the coater that shut them down for awhile. Color may be an issue slowing them up, but isn’t the only reason.

6 minutes ago, kujo929 said:

Mine had no color. Just all black and it is held up just as long. I heard there was a large accident at the coater that shut them down for awhile. Color may be an issue slowing them up, but isn’t the only reason.

For clarity, mine was all Black DLC for the steel parts and anodized Champagne for the aluminum parts.

Ordered mine just after Christmas....reading these posts isn't helping especially during this damn quarantine....loaded test rounds and can't go into full production of ammo until I can test with my gun.  Agree with some of the posters that communication is a problem.  Most people will understand that there are issues if they are simply told about it.  Had some buddies order guns last year from another builder, which shall remain nameless that started to get pretty big and then the QC really suffered as they ramped up production.  I realize these are mechanical devices and problems will invariably happen.  When I ordered from PT my fear was that with the big sales they had on Black Friday and Christmas and their growing popularity the same thing may happen.  I am not saying it is happening but the lack of communication is a red flag.  Its free to send an email, keep customers in the loop. That being said, I am still excited for the build and for the guys that already got this, I have a ton of toilet paper and would gladly trade some for your Honcho.