Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Component Run?

iflyskyhigh

So what disappears first usually? Powder, primers, or bullets?

I seem to remember primers being difficult to find last shortage. Not 100% sure on that but that’s what I seem to remember.

I couldn’t always find the exact powder I wanted, but I remember being able to find powder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first rule about Fight Club, is that you do not talk about Fight Club. 

Also a valid point and noted. Anyone going forward who discloses numbers of primers or powder in possession will be booted from the “Component Club”

15 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Yep.  If things get real bad, you can make your own bullets and make your own powder.  You can't make primers.

Maybe I'll find a reloader that ran out of TP and barter for some primers and powder....

On 3/15/2020 at 9:46 PM, Intheshaw1 said:

I have rookie numbers since I just got a press. 1k primers and 3 lbs of powder...

I may just go have 2 orders, 1 maxing powder and 1 maxing primers. I just haven't had a chance to try and see what works best from my Glock but thinking can't go wrong with sport pistol and CCIs.

go with winchester,, most trouble free primer out there, CCI's are harder and sometimes a little off and jam in Dillon tubes,

Edited by Joe4d

BEEN saying that for years, ever sense gov made primers Hazmat.... back door gun control... powder, bullets, brass, just needs Google and a motivated redneck.... primers a bit tough

On 3/16/2020 at 1:40 AM, ltdmstr said:

Yep.  If things get real bad, you can make your own bullets and make your own powder.  You can't make primers.

You can reload them .  I watched a video on it out of curiousity looks very tedious

I tried this...  and I successfully reloaded ONE primer.  Took most of my day! 

I primed an empty case with the reloaded primer, and then tried to detonate it in a pistol.  I finally did get one to "pop" after several attempts. 

It wasn't very loud though - nothing like a real primer. 

Didn't try it in a loaded round.  I kinda meant to do that, but never was motivated enough to spend that much time on it again.  LOL!  

I would have to be VERY desperate to attempt reloading ammo like that!  

Well the run is starting in full swing. Rmr is out of bullets, and a lot of powder and primers are selling out.

I've got a guy locally I'll buy some stuff from and hope the run dies off in the next few months.

Well the run is starting in full swing. Rmr is out of bullets, and a lot of powder and primers are selling out.

I've got a guy locally I'll buy some stuff from and hope the run dies off in the next few months.

It will.

But like most things in the past 30-40 years prices will continue to die to the US’s chaotic fiscal policy’s.

Ammo, firearms, and reloading components will probably never be cheaper than they were during the first couple years of the trump administration. “The good ole days” will soon be a distant memory in the rear view mirror.

It was hard pill to swallow when you could buy a round of 9MM or 223 for less than or equal to what you could reload it for, not to mention the time it took you to reload it. Pill doesn’t seem so bitter now.

Been stocking up on factory ammo (9mm) since the first case hit Washington. Not going to be put in the position last time Obama was elected of driving around half the state to buy ammo 50% over retail at gun ranges 2 boxes at a time. No sir, let the hoarding start.

And yes the Obama drought forced me to reload. But when I moved 2 years ago I never set my press back up

Edited by nick954

Been stocking up on factory ammo (9mm) since the first case hit Washington. Not going to be put in the position last time Obama was elected of driving around half the state to buy ammo 50% over retail at gun ranges 2 boxes at a time. No sir, let the hoarding start.

And yes the Obama drought forced me to reload. But when I moved 2 years ago I never set my press back up

It’s a no win situation.

It’s nice to say “don’t buy things up, it just contributes to the problem.”

But no one is going to heed that advice so if you don’t get what you need you’re left high and dry. So really you have no choice but to stock up, or you’re the one left holding the proverbial empty basket.

I refuse to call it panic buying, at least as it applies to probably 99.9% of the people on this forum. I see it as being proactive.

I have accumulated too much powder and primers to mention here but bullets are pricey so I typically only keep about two seasons worth on hand. But did just order another 4k to be on the safe side.

My thought on all of the Panic Buying is that buy what you need. People are being left with no poor food choices and no TP because people feel they need 100 x what they can use. 

It would be good to make sure you have what you need and not a ton more.

5 minutes ago, m700 said:

My thought on all of the Panic Buying is that buy what you need. People are being left with no poor food choices and no TP because people feel they need 100 x what they can use. 

People are in full freakout mode right now and that includes shooters.  

I've got plenty of factory ammo as I've been maxing out the rebates companies have been offering every year but since I'm just getting into reloading I'm going to be short on components until this dies down in a while.

Oh I’ll use everything I have and have bought. It may take me several years, but it will get used.

I have the funds and I see it as an investment.

It’s stuff I would have purchased over time anyway, and it’s cheap now.

I love the shooting sports and hunting. I can do it by myself. I can do it with others.

I started reloading so I would have the freedom to do what I want when I want.

I just purchased a little extra freedom. That’s all.