Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Component Run?

iflyskyhigh

11 hours ago, m700 said:

My thought on all of the Panic Buying is that buy what you need. People are being left with no poor food choices and no TP because people feel they need 100 x what they can use. 

It would be good to make sure you have what you need and not a ton more.

Might be different where you're at, but here there's plenty of everything.  Went to Walmart today to stock up on Mobil 1 because it's on sale and the place was deserted.  I think it was mostly the amateur types that rushed out to hoard and had all the hassles.  Contrary to media reports, there's no shortage of TP, or most other stuff.  But there's definitely a shortage of common sense.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Might be different where you're at, but here there's plenty of everything.  Went to Walmart today to stock up on Mobil 1 because it's on sale and the place was deserted.  I think it was mostly the amateur types that rushed out to hoard and had all the hassles.  Contrary to media reports, there's no shortage of TP, or most other stuff.  But there's definitely a shortage of common sense.

Agreed, I wonder how many punches where thrown over TP only for the shelves to be restocked the next day

36 minutes ago, m700 said:

Agreed, I wonder how many punches where thrown over TP only for the shelves to be restocked the next day

Some places are still sold out here 

There was a news story with people waiting outside Costco on Saturday for an hour before they opened to buy TP and then waiting in lines for hours as the store emptied out. Only to have it restocked on Monday....

17 minutes ago, Intheshaw1 said:

Some places are still sold out here 

There was a news story with people waiting outside Costco on Saturday for an hour before they opened to buy TP and then waiting in lines for hours as the store emptied out. Only to have it restocked on Monday....

My wife was one of the first in the store when Sam’s club opened this am. No TP, Paper  towels etc. 

While there may not be a shortage, distribution is certainly a problem

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 11:18 AM, m700 said:

My thought on all of the Panic Buying is that buy what you need. People are being left with no poor food choices and no TP because people feel they need 100 x what they can use. 

It would be good to make sure you have what you need and not a ton more.

This is my point !!

From RMR this AM. Guess my crystal ball was correct.

"Okay, now the hard part.  As I am sure you noticed, we hadn't been doing as many sales lately.  I'm sure you are all aware that the firearm industry has taken a hit over the last few years.  Until now, prices have been rock bottom for most everyone.  In fact, RMR hasn't a price increase for over 5 years.  In that amount of time, the post office has increased the cost of flat rate boxes almost every 6 months.  For example, we used to pay $8.95 for a flat rate box and now we are paying $13.20.  That's not all. The cost of tape, bags, boxes, machine tooling, machine oils, and getting materials shipped to us has gone up as well.  Now I'm told that the cost of trucking stuff into us and out of our shop is going up during this emergency.  We just can't keep the prices where they are and hope to stay in business for long. So, on Wednesday the 25th you will see a SMALL increase in the in-house RMR bullets.  We aren't looking to gouge or make millions off of this emergency.  All we will be doing is raising the cost per thousand a few dollars to help cover the increased costs we've incurred.  Expect similar small increases on all RMR in-house stuff on Wednesday.  We are hoping that this is all we have to raise prices for now.  However, the market for lead and copper is controlled by Wall Street so who knows what might happen?     

Furthermore, we don't make everything we sell in-house.  We don't control the pricing structure at all on many of the products we bring in.  I'm told to expect price increases on many of the products we bring in from other sources.  I don't know what will be affected and by how much, so please understand if you see a price increase on anything we bring in, that it is because we had to pay more for it.  Some stuff will stay the same price because our margins are already good enough to keep them where they are. "

Pretty crummy thing to do when LOTS of people going to be out of work and hurting big time.  At least for now, there are plenty of other options.  Some of us will take our business elsewhere.

Pretty crummy thing to do when LOTS of people going to be out of work and hurting big time.  At least for now, there are plenty of other options.  Some of us will take our business elsewhere.

How is it crummy?

That’s how capitalism, the free market, and business works.

And likewise you ARE free to take your business elsewhere.

Their costs go up, our costs go up.

As a business owner you can only absorb so much before you must pass it on.

If you are out of work maybe there are other things you should be focusing your resources on. No one owes you guns and ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish Grafs was able to better keep up with demand. They are my favorite place to buy from, as they have good prices and good customer service, but they are 100% out of stock of all of the things I need.

Agreed. The big order I did a couple weeks ago when I saw the writing on the wall was mostly from Graf’s and 1 item from Powder Valley. I just put everything I wanted, that was in stock, in the cart and where it was cheapest I ordered. Only one thing was cheaper from Powder Valley. Both companies are stand up places. I do like Powder Valley’s new website that gives you shipping cost. Back in the day you had to order from Powder Valley without knowing what shipping was gonna be till they processed the order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Intheshaw1 said:

Yep, saw that this morning, I wonder how much the increase is going to be. From the sounds of it it shouldn't be that much.

Well they said it’s going to be a few dollars per thousand bullets. A few is $3 at most. If it’s more than that they lied.

Primers are the only item I'm nervous about  I've got about enough on hand for 3-4 months at the rate we practice, but I'll hit up some local stores this week and see what they have.  The interweb is simply "out".  Unfortunately my wife is a high volume 22lr person and that stuff has become scarce very rapidly.  I have a good supply fortunately.

Ok so you as everyone is calling it stock up! How many If anyone is shooting a match these days, the virus has all but shut down shooting matches. My local range is open, But as far as I know they are not holding any matches.

I for one am not going crazy and buying all the components I can find, Because of people doing just that all online suppliers are having longer shipping times!

As I need them and can find them I will buy bullets powder and primers But I cant kill a virus with a bullet and I cant wipe my ass with a bullet, So I will save my money buy toilet paper ,and food.

Oh BTW I do have enough ammo, If someone comes after my toilet paper or to harm my family I can take care of business

So to all the guys buying up all they can ,just to (stock up ) as they call it, I wish you all the best, And hopefully you don't have to put up with some of the long waits we saw from the last panic buying!

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 10:54 PM, ltdmstr said:

AMEN to common sense

On 3/22/2020 at 8:32 AM, RickT said:

Primers are the only item I'm nervous about  I've got about enough on hand for 3-4 months at the rate we practice, but I'll hit up some local stores this week and see what they have.  The interweb is simply "out".  Unfortunately my wife is a high volume 22lr person and that stuff has become scarce very rapidly.  I have a good supply fortunately.

I guess you could say I'm in the industry and primers are the only thing we worry about too. The Fiocchi plant was shut down in Italy which makes primers for just about everyone.

19 minutes ago, blindmarksman said:

I guess you could say I'm in the industry and primers are the only thing we worry about too. The Fiocchi plant was shut down in Italy which makes primers for just about everyone.

Good info.  I'm planning on higher quality, lower round count practices, but it's hard to resist going to the range 3x/week especially now that I have an AMG timer in hand.

9 hours ago, blindmarksman said:

Yeah, I can't find them anywhere online. Local store had some, but they are rationing to 1000 per cust. Does the Fiocchi plant make them for everyone? Winchester, Federal, CCI, etc?