Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Component Run?

iflyskyhigh

Not trying to induce or add to the panic buying...but probably time to stock up. Especially if you’re getting low.

Prices are still relatively stable. Stock is still pretty good. Heck Grafs even has free hazmat and low shipping costs!

Stuff is gonna start running out quick.

And when it gets restocked (which it of course will), prices are only gonna continue to go up as the prices of raw materials, shipping, other factors continue to increase.

I think about how cheap most of the components I purchased before and during the last run were, and I wish I could get things that cheap now.

I’m not on social media (besides message boards) and I don’t watch the news for the most part. I did watch that interview with the supplier I mentioned in the other post, but for the most part my thoughts are based on gut feeling, instinct, and what I see happening around me in real time.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does graf's require a coupon for free hazmat?

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

No. I just added stuff the cart and it applied the coupon automatically.

You might have to make a minimum purchase to get it.

I'm not sure there's going to be a run but people are freaking out about everything right now so who knows.

I just wish I got into reloading sooner and I just bought my press a few months ago but haven't had time to test any primer/powder/bullets yet. I may just but a few jugs of different pistol and rifle powders that seem good via reading in the forums and hope for the best.

When the grocery stores are starting to get bare and people get fearful, there will definitely be a run on factory ammo and then on components.  I'm not going to panic.  But at some point it is wise to be buying, if you don't want to be left with none yourself.  I personally ought to buy enough primers to get through the season.   And then with D nominees stances on guns, it seems like we could have another drought coming if the ammo and component makers didn't, after the last drought, increase their production capacities for future events.  

I'm not sure there's going to be a run but people are freaking out about everything right now so who knows.

I just wish I got into reloading sooner and I just bought my press a few months ago but haven't had time to test any primer/powder/bullets yet. I may just but a few jugs of different pistol and rifle powders that seem good via reading in the forums and hope for the best.

Time will tell.

I don’t actually think there is any real threat, but the corporate media and the government sure seem to be pushing everyone towards mass hysteria.

Davidson’s, the large distributor, is already out of 9MM, .223, 7.62.

Ammo of course goes first, but then components I would imagine will follow.

I usually make a one or two very large purchase every year anyway, so I just did it a little ahead of schedule.

I feel good about it. I didn’t buy anything I’m not going to use, and I feel as though I paid fair prices so alls well.

When the grocery stores are starting to get bare and people get fearful, there will definitely be a run on factory ammo and then on components.  I'm not going to panic.  But at some point it is wise to be buying, if you don't want to be left with none yourself.  I personally ought to buy enough primers to get through the season.   And then with D nominees stances on guns, it seems like we could have another drought coming if the ammo and component makers didn't, after the last drought, increase their production capacities for future events.  

My sentiments exactly.

I know we aren’t supposed to get preachy on here, but I think there is F_ _ _ kery afoot. I don’t the D’s or R’s or the corporate press. I think it’s more than covid-19.

If you think you’re gonna need components over the next 6 months to a year, might as well get em now.

I am only short on 9mm projectiles 

Depending on how much you buy at a time, I’ve the best purchasing strategy is to purchase projectiles in bulk during the Black Friday and Christmas sales, but then buy powder and primers when they are on sale throughout the year at various times combined with hazmat and shipping deals.

But now with sales tax being forced on online retails, and the dramatic jump in shipping costs, those deals are already harder to come by.

1 hour ago, zhunter said:

75 pounds of powder

67000 primers

Too many pieces of 9mm brass to bother tallying up

I only need 9mm bullets

Those are rookie numbers

JMO As long as we as reloaders keep our heads on straight, and don't start panic buying! We should be ok, But what I've seen with the toilet paper and just about everything else having to do with everyday life, I think the mass media is going to be the cause of it. PSA and other gun shops here in Columbia SC have already put limits on components , ammo and even firearms!

PSA had a limit of 5 boxes per caliber of ammo, When I was in there everyone I saw had the limit, even seen guys paying , going to their vehicle then back in to buy more.

Me and the wife went to wally world to buy our weekly groceries. And wow !

I guess we are going to have to learn to use leaves again!

The panic is already in full swing, so I say lets not add to it buy spending our paychecks to buy all the components we can at this time maybe just what we need ( not just stockpiling)

Edited by ghost21

well for me its stockpiling, back when I was competing ? maybe just a seasonal order.
IMO just enough to pad out the hazmat fee. 5lbs of A2 and 15k WLP Primers...  himmed and hawed on powder for a month,,  not a ton of Data, but seems AA2 will be slower than WST and faster than BE86, cant imagine it wont do what I want.  255gr Bayou coated 45 @ 800 fps. through a 6" barrel

Edited by Joe4d

JMO As long as we as reloaders keep our heads on straight, and don't start panic buying! We should be ok, But what I've seen with the toilet paper and just about everything else having to do with everyday life, I think the mass media is going to be the cause of it. PSA and other gun shops here in Columbia SC have already put limits on components , ammo and even firearms!
PSA had a limit of 5 boxes per caliber of ammo, When I was in there everyone I saw had the limit, even seen guys paying , going to their vehicle then back in to buy more.
Me and the wife went to wally world to buy our weekly groceries. And wow !
I guess we are going to have to learn to use leaves again!
The panic is already in full swing, so I say lets not add to it buy spending our paychecks to buy all the components we can at this time maybe just what we need ( not just stockpiling)

I don’t think of it as I’m panic buying.

I see it more as I’m gonna need it anyway. One of the reasons I got into reloading was for sure self sufficiency. But I also just love shooting, and I wanted to make sure I could shoot as much as I wanted when I wanted, and not be at the fickle whim of the sheepole.

Cost isn’t an issue for me, but that doesn’t mean I enjoy wasting money. It’s stuff I would have bought anyway, just being proactive and buying a little more a little ahead of schedule since I can afford too.

I am always open to being incorrect about things and changing my mind, but I just have a gut feeling. And as I said, I don’t watch the news or participate in social media, so it’s mostly from personal observations about what’s going on around me, and I do fancy myself pretty good at reading human behavior.

If I’m wrong, no skin off my back. I paid a fair reasonable price for stuff I need and will use down the road. But if I’m right....

And I do firmly believe things will be restocked if and when they do run do run out. But as always the question is when? And they will for sure be more expensive than they are now. Prices ALMOST always go up. Everything that goes into the manufacturing and transportation process is getting more expensive so it only holds that the things produced will also rise in price.

If everything that’s on shelves now runs out, the stuff that replaces it will go up in price faster than if it had been a gradual process. That’s just economics.

Appreciate all the feedback. Good conversation.

I stocked up last year during the Black Friday sale. With the election this year something told me to buy more than I was going to need. 

Powder valley has the best prices IMO. I've tried to out price them even with there hazmat and shipping their cheaper then most other online retailers. 

Most of the other places jackup prices to offset the free hazmat.

I try to support my LGS for reloading supplies but he has been out of the powder I need. 

I've spent most of the winter loading up most of what I bought. I hate being married to the press when shooting season shows up. Outside of my precision rifle stuff for PRS.

8 minutes ago, MikeyScuba said:

Crap, here I thought I was doing ok. Double the primers but similar amounts of powder.

I have rookie numbers since I just got a press. 1k primers and 3 lbs of powder...

I may just go have 2 orders, 1 maxing powder and 1 maxing primers. I just haven't had a chance to try and see what works best from my Glock but thinking can't go wrong with sport pistol and CCIs.

I stocked up last year during the Black Friday sale. With the election this year something told me to buy more than I was going to need. 

Powder valley has the best prices IMO. I've tried to out price them even with there hazmat and shipping their cheaper then most other online retailers. 

Most of the other places jackup prices to offset the free hazmat.

I try to support my LGS for reloading supplies but he has been out of the powder I need. 

I've spent most of the winter loading up most of what I bought. I hate being married to the press when shooting season shows up. Outside of my precision rifle stuff for PRS.

There is some truth to that.

One order of primers I saved about $12 ordering through Grafs.

Powder Valley is out of 3 of the 4 powders I ordered, so it’s kinda of moot point.

If I had order the powder from them it would have been just about a wash on the powder. Maybe a buck or 2 this way or that.

Doesn’t look like they (Powder Valley) are charging sales tax to my area yet, which is nice.